Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-26-2015, 09:08 PM
 
106 posts, read 245,275 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post


Sadly most US cities have no similarity to European cities, they are designed for car ownership. Don't get me started on that one.
Indeed, very sad... most of the US cities are not walkable and have poor public transportation, the opposite of most big cities in Europe, South America, Canada, Australia and Asia....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-26-2015, 09:24 PM
 
10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Reputation: 10644
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
Indeed, very sad... most of the US cities are not walkable and have poor public transportation, the opposite of most big cities in Europe, South America, Canada, Australia and Asia....
While this is true, NYC actually has higher transit share than many big cities in Europe.

And Boston, SF, Chicago, Philly and DC have pretty good transit share too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2015, 11:40 PM
 
12,997 posts, read 13,640,148 times
Reputation: 11192
I've been to most major US cities and now live in Europe. Yes, I'd say Boston is probably the closest. I've never been to Philadelphia though. It gets compared to Boston a lot, and it's a colonial city with dense housing near the center so it might be more European than Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 11:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Reputation: 15184
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
And Boston, SF, Chicago, Philly and DC have pretty good transit share too.
However, in many of them the city proper composes a small % of the metro population; European cities % are generally (but not always) higher. If you compare metro-wide all of those cities you listed would overlap with medium to large European cities with among the lowest transit ridership.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 11:14 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Western Massachusetts
45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Reputation: 15184
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
Yeah, I think Portland is the number 2, and it would be my second choice, but it rains a lot and it seems a little far from any big city.
Other than have street running rail through downtown, I don't see much resemblance to a European city at all. Portland is a newish, relatively low density city that has a pedestrian friendly city center, and not a particularly busy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Holland
788 posts, read 1,248,942 times
Reputation: 1362
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
I would like to know if Europeans think Boston has some kind of a European vibe. What do you guys think?
What is a European vibe? Europe is a continent, not a country, and thus has many different cultures. How can there be one vibe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 02:36 PM
 
2,869 posts, read 5,135,174 times
Reputation: 3668
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I've been to most major US cities and now live in Europe. Yes, I'd say Boston is probably the closest. I've never been to Philadelphia though. It gets compared to Boston a lot, and it's a colonial city with dense housing near the center so it might be more European than Boston.
I don't think there's anything remotely European about Philadelphia. Some of its inner city neighborhoods are amazing (Society Hill, Rittenhouse Sq, etc.) and "old" and "colonial" but it's still quintessentially American.

Among big US cities, parts of Boston are the closest (North End) but IMO it's really not saying much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 03:03 PM
 
10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Reputation: 10644
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
However, in many of them the city proper composes a small % of the metro population; European cities % are generally (but not always) higher. If you compare metro-wide all of those cities you listed would overlap with medium to large European cities with among the lowest transit ridership.
Very true. I'm just saying that in all these cities, there's a sizable zone of transit-oriented living. It isn't exactly the same as in a Western European city, but if you're in (say) a Boston, DC or SF, a transit-oriented lifestyle similar to that of Munich or Lyon or wherever is at least doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 03:04 PM
 
10,275 posts, read 10,330,601 times
Reputation: 10644
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Other than have street running rail through downtown, I don't see much resemblance to a European city at all. Portland is a newish, relatively low density city that has a pedestrian friendly city center, and not a particularly busy one.
Portland, to me, actually looks very Midwestern in built form. The bungalow neighborhoods that dominate don't look unlike those you would see in the inner suburbs of Detroit or St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2015, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Massachusetts
9,524 posts, read 16,507,823 times
Reputation: 14560
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJX3000 View Post
Yeah, I think Portland is the number 2, and it would be my second choice, but it rains a lot and it seems a little far from any big city.

You are correct it rains a lot or it is cloudy on many days of the year. When its nice and sunny, it is just beautiful. It is rather isolated from other large cities. Seattle is the only one within 3 hours drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top