Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 05:04 AM

354 posts, read 681,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakery Hill View Post
Perhaps the descendants of early Asian immigrates to the US and Canada remained distinct identifiable communities far longer than was the case in Australia? There were large numbers of Asian migration to Australia in the 1800s; initially Chinese to the gold rush, and then Japanese to the pearling industry across the north. Some returned home, but a lot stayed on and mixed with the local population, and within a few generations their descendants were no longer identifiably “Chinese” or “Japanese”.
I think that would be the same case of US and Canada. I think statistics do suggest that the latter generation of an Asian group is more likely to be of mixed ancestry than for example first generation.

Australia does have an interesting pre-war Asian immigration history! As many as 29.900 Chinese at one point before the restrictions (and subsequently dropping to around 12.000 in 1947), at one point one of the largest ethnic group overall in Australia behind English and German, and around 4.000 Japanese pre-war, the legacy of the pearl diving industry like you said. In Canada, the Asian population peaked with around 46.000 Chinese and 23.000 Japanese in pre-war, before the renewed post war immigration. In the US, the Asian population peaked at around 77.000 Chinese and 140.000 Japanese prewar.

I definitely noticed more Malaysians, Singaporeans and Indonesians in Australia. I don't think they are nearly as prominent in the US or Canada. And when I was visiting a university a few years back, I remembering see most of the faces being from Asian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2015, 05:12 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fikatid View Post
I think that would be the same case of US and Canada. I think statistics do suggest that the latter generation of an Asian group is more likely to be of mixed ancestry than for example first generation.

Australia does have an interesting pre-war Asian immigration history! As many as 29.900 Chinese at one point before the restrictions (and subsequently dropping to around 12.000 in 1947), at one point one of the largest ethnic group overall in Australia behind English and German, and around 4.000 Japanese pre-war, the legacy of the pearl diving industry like you said. In Canada, the Asian population peaked with around 46.000 Chinese and 23.000 Japanese in pre-war, before the renewed post war immigration. In the US, the Asian population peaked at around 77.000 Chinese and 140.000 Japanese prewar.

I definitely noticed more Malaysians, Singaporeans and Indonesians in Australia. I don't think they are nearly as prominent in the US or Canada. And when I was visiting a university a few years back, I remembering see most of the faces being from Asian
You are right. Here in the US, most of the Oriental Asians we have are Filipino, Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese. All 4 groups have at least 1 million residents each here.

Old 07-02-2015, 11:07 PM

984 posts, read 1,313,659 times
I would agree that Australia is more Asian focused than Canada with BC being a very clear exception. Vancouver was recently named the most Asian city outside of Asia.

The rest of the country when looking abroad still looks to Europe, particularly Northern

Old 07-02-2015, 11:15 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
I would agree that Australia is more Asian focused than Canada with BC being a very clear exception. Vancouver was recently named the most Asian city outside of Asia.

The rest of the country when looking abroad still looks to Europe, particularly Northern
Toronto has a huge Asian population.. The Greater Toronto area has more Asians than any other city in either Canada or Australia in absolute numbers quite handily. Vancouver may have a higher representative percentage of Asians than Toronto - but you can't just dismiss the sheer number of Asians in Toronto in either the Canadian or Australian context. The fact is more Asians live in the GTA than any other metro area in either of the two countries. To just dismiss it is kind of silly.

http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2014/0...ramifications/

Per this article - 35 percent of metro Toronto an urban area of over 6.5 million people is Asian... Vancouver (43 percent Asian)is a metro of only 2.5 million .. Its easy to do the math there to get which has the larger absolute number of Asians. Quite simply, there are more Asians in Metro Toronto than the entire population of Metro Vancouver. Sydney and Melbourne (about 4.25 million people in Melbourne, I think Sydney may be close to 5 million) are behind both Vancouver in percentage of Asians vs Toronto and Vancouver but again - both Sydney and Melbourne are almost 2X larger than Vancouver while Toronto is almost 3X larger than Vancouver and the largest city in either Canada or Australia by over 1.5 million people..

In absolute number of Asians its Toronto first followed by - well you can battle between Vancouver and other Oz cities for Second, third, fourth etc....

Last edited by fusion2; 07-02-2015 at 11:42 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 12:02 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,468,261 times
Australia is virtually on Asia's doorstep and plays football in the Asian division. I don't know which is better because I'm sure they are both good places for Asian people to live but Australia is definitely more Asian orientated and very involved in the Asia/Oceania region.

Old 07-03-2015, 09:10 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Toronto has a huge Asian population.. The Greater Toronto area has more Asians than any other city in either Canada or Australia in absolute numbers quite handily. Vancouver may have a higher representative percentage of Asians than Toronto - but you can't just dismiss the sheer number of Asians in Toronto in either the Canadian or Australian context. The fact is more Asians live in the GTA than any other metro area in either of the two countries. To just dismiss it is kind of silly.

Vancouver is the most ‘Asian’ city outside Asia. What are the ramifications? | Vancouver Sun

Per this article - 35 percent of metro Toronto an urban area of over 6.5 million people is Asian... Vancouver (43 percent Asian)is a metro of only 2.5 million .. Its easy to do the math there to get which has the larger absolute number of Asians. Quite simply, there are more Asians in Metro Toronto than the entire population of Metro Vancouver. Sydney and Melbourne (about 4.25 million people in Melbourne, I think Sydney may be close to 5 million) are behind both Vancouver in percentage of Asians vs Toronto and Vancouver but again - both Sydney and Melbourne are almost 2X larger than Vancouver while Toronto is almost 3X larger than Vancouver and the largest city in either Canada or Australia by over 1.5 million people..

In absolute number of Asians its Toronto first followed by - well you can battle between Vancouver and other Oz cities for Second, third, fourth etc....
But, how many of those Asians are South Asian from India and Pakistan? I flew into Pearson Airport several times, and most Asians I saw were the same ones I saw in the UK, Indian

Old 07-03-2015, 12:29 PM

8 posts, read 12,717 times
^^ Off topic a little bit, but I can't personally stand that South Asians are in the same category as East Asians. It's a completely different ethnic group, and almost an affront to both groups that they're listed together (colonial mentality).

In any case, the Asians in Australia are definitely more of the Eastern variety, and Canada is more of a mix.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:42 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
But, how many of those Asians are South Asian from India and Pakistan? I flew into Pearson Airport several times, and most Asians I saw were the same ones I saw in the UK, Indian
Why would a South Asian be any different than an East Asia when the topic is Asians.... They're both from Asia no? Are Indians any less 'Asian' than Chinese? That's really what we are getting at here aren't we... If the title of the thread was East Asian than that would change things a bit but the title is 'Asian'

There are 600K Chinese in metro Toronto and 900K Indians so while Indians represent a larger number of Asians there is still a sizable Chinese presence. There are still a lot more Chinese Canadians in Metro Toronto than Metro Vancouver - about 150K more. Of course we are only speaking of Indian and Chinese - there are still other sizable Asian groups in the metro Toronto area particularly Pakistani, Filipino, Vietnamese and Sri Lankans among many others.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-03-2015 at 03:56 PM..

Old 07-03-2015, 11:23 PM

2,651 posts, read 3,406,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Why would a South Asian be any different than an East Asia when the topic is Asians.... They're both from Asia no? Are Indians any less 'Asian' than Chinese? That's really what we are getting at here aren't we... If the title of the thread was East Asian than that would change things a bit but the title is 'Asian'

There are 600K Chinese in metro Toronto and 900K Indians so while Indians represent a larger number of Asians there is still a sizable Chinese presence. There are still a lot more Chinese Canadians in Metro Toronto than Metro Vancouver - about 150K more. Of course we are only speaking of Indian and Chinese - there are still other sizable Asian groups in the metro Toronto area particularly Pakistani, Filipino, Vietnamese and Sri Lankans among many others.
Since the OP mentioned that he/she is a Japanese expat currently living in America.
So probably they want to relate with people from neighboring countries include own Japanese, Korean, Chinese and Taiwanese.
I've seen many times those East Asian groups are cooperate well each other no matter where population is the majority or minority in the area,
but East Asians and South Asians put in the same place? I don't know about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World