Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better natural scenery, California or Italy?
California 147 54.44%
Italy 123 45.56%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 12:52 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
I was just going off of Google Maps. I never realized that there was a controversy surrounding it.
Mont Blanc controversy: French suffer a fit of pique as Italy's Prime Minister 'reclaims' Europe's highest mountain - Europe - World - The Independent

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2015, 01:21 AM

209 posts, read 304,297 times
Surfer beaches in Italy

https://www.google.com.br/search?q=s...apo+mannu+surf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKmRLJkY6xs

Old 07-07-2015, 01:46 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,662,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalists View Post
Surfing in California:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElAJbhkH2lU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl5_6NWyfHU

Old 07-07-2015, 05:26 AM

1,761 posts, read 1,684,861 times
Quote:
The very top of Mont Blanc/Monte Bianco is in France, not in Italy.
That's the opinion of the French side.
The opinion of the Italian side, is that the border is right on the peak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The 1860 act and attached maps are still legally valid for both the French and Italian governments.[10] One of the prints from the 1823 Sarde Atlas[11] positions the border exactly on the summit edge of the mountain (and measures it to be 4,804 m (15,761 ft) high). The convention of 7 March 1861 recognises this through an attached map, taking into consideration the limits of the massif, and drawing the border on the icecap of Mont Blanc, making it both French and Italian. Watershed analysis of modern topographic mapping not only places the main summit on the border, but also suggests that the border should follow a line northwards from the main summit towards Mont Maudit, leaving the southeast ridge to Mont Blanc de Courmayeur wholly within Italy.
Although the Franco-Italian border was redefined in both 1947 and 1963, the commission made up of both Italians and French ignored the Mont Blanc issue. In the early 21st century, administration of the mountain is shared between the Italian town of Courmayeur and the French town of Saint-Gervais-les-Bains, although the larger part of the mountain lies within the commune of the latter.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_B..._of_the_summit

Google Earth and Maps took the French side, but most websites state that the main peak is both French and Italian.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:37 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,805 times
If you don't like to comprehend the Alps, because they are too near to the border line (*), then I can pass to the Apennines. They are shorter, but there are some good landscapes also there.

-The "Gran Sasso", the higher point of the Apennines (2.912 m): https://www.google.it/search?q=gran+...w=1242&bih=577

(*) so that I live at a few kilometers from the French borderline, and I still see my place as completely Italian, I don't get this concept so much.

Talking about my place, I can post also the photos of my valley: https://www.google.it/search?q=val+s...w=1242&bih=577

We are not a so famous locality on the Alps (just the higher part of the Valley is famous for the ski plants, we also hosted the winter Olympic games in 2006 )

Old 07-07-2015, 05:39 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guajara View Post
That's the opinion of the French side.
The opinion of the Italian side, is that the border is right on the peak.
Yes, that's true.

Old 07-07-2015, 05:39 AM

Quote:
It all depends on what you consider a nice beach. If you want to sit on an overcrowded beach that is overbuilt with warm clear water and limited wildlife, then Italy is for you. If you are into rugged, remote coastline then California is much better. If you are into marine wildlife, California is much better. If you are into surfing, California is much better.

I don't see the point of filling the thread with photoshopped pictures, that's why I am not participating in that.
Don't you think that there are some parts of the Italian coastline that are still "unspoiled", considering how long the Italian coastline is for a country of its size.
I think the reason why the Californian coastline is so unspoilt, is partly the same reason why the European Atlantic Coast is much more natural than the European Med Coast. The Water is too cold for building tourist resorts.

Last edited by Guajara; 07-07-2015 at 05:55 AM..

Old 07-07-2015, 05:49 AM

Quote:
It might seem like that if you live in the Mid-Atlantic. Name one country in the world that is more diverse. China is the second most diverse, but China and the USA are vastly more diverse than any other country.

The water in California isn't as clear, because it is very deep and the waves are bigger. The shelf off of California provides one of the most interesting marine environments on the planet. California absolutely dominates Italy in terms of animal life and plant life. Beaches in Italy are ruined by a massive amount of people and infrastructure.

Hawaii blows away anything in the Mediterranean.
Why are you talking now about Hawaii?
You better compare Hawaii with European/ French overseas departments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World