Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better natural scenery, California or Italy?
California 147 54.44%
Italy 123 45.56%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 01:01 PM

2,946 posts, read 2,914,264 times

Advertisements

Italy is one of the most naturally diverse countries in the world relatively to its size. The same could be said about California if it were a country. So, both are very close in this topic. California is more wild and pristine, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 12:20 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,683,480 times
I visted both, IMO Italy is superior (without taking into account the cities and food lol...)
From Etna to South face of the Monte Bianco (what a beast !), Rocky coast with crystal clear water and mountains of Appennini behind (not cold like in Cali...)Cervino, Dolomites, blablabla...
Besides, Italy is 123 000km² smaller than Cali so more compact.

Old 08-21-2017, 02:52 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
You can't ask this question on an American dominated forum. People would think Illinois is more beautiful than Italy,

Old 08-21-2017, 03:27 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,491,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You can't ask this question on an American dominated forum. People would think Illinois is more beautiful than Italy,
How dare people have a different opinion over a subjective thing.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:41 AM

240 posts, read 253,601 times
Since both regions have fairly similar terrain, in part, Italy automatically wins because it is made up of a peninsula plus numerous islands (meaning it has a much more extensive coastline than California) and it also doesn't have any major regions that are flat-out ugly and desolate, unlike California which has vast swathes of barren land. Now, I can appreciate places such as Death Valley and the Mojave Desert, they're beautiful in a way, but I would never want to live there.

California, though, definitely has more attractive mountains and it is much wilder and more rustic than Italy. It also isn't entirely fair to compare California and Italy, because Italy is situated about 5 degrees further north than an California. Pretending that Tunisia is part of Italy would fix the discrepancy, though Italy would still win, imo.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:28 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,377,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post
Since both regions have fairly similar terrain, in part, Italy automatically wins because it is made up of a peninsula plus numerous islands (meaning it has a much more extensive coastline than California) and it also doesn't have any major regions that are flat-out ugly and desolate, unlike California which has vast swathes of barren land. Now, I can appreciate places such as Death Valley and the Mojave Desert, they're beautiful in a way, but I would never want to live there.

California, though, definitely has more attractive mountains and it is much wilder and more rustic than Italy. It also isn't entirely fair to compare California and Italy, because Italy is situated about 5 degrees further north than an California. Pretending that Tunisia is part of Italy would fix the discrepancy, though Italy would still win, imo.
With the exception of park rangers, people don't actually live in Death Valley. There aren't many people in the Mojave Desert either.

Also, why does a 5 degree difference in latitude matter in this case?

Old 08-23-2017, 03:43 PM

957 posts, read 1,132,549 times
I think he means it skews a bit the comparison between the two

Old 08-24-2017, 05:53 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Why don't you post a poll and see what happens? I guarentee that Italy would win.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:55 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,244 times
I am from California and I visited Italy this summer, mainly the northern part. Italy was pretty but from what I saw, in terms of natural scenery, California wins for sure.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:57 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,518,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProtoStrata View Post

California has, perhaps, the world's most beautiful coastline. The rise from the sea to the coast range creates dramatic landscapes both in the north and the south. There is no Italian counterpart to California's vast old-growth forests. Similarly, California's wildflowers and waterfalls are unmatched by Italian counterparts.

Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequioa, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe, the Mojave, Joshua Tree, and Mt. Shasta are justifiably world famous. Lassen Volcanic area, Big Sur, Pinnacles, Los Padres, Big Bear, Mono Lake, Modoc, and Klamath Nat'l Forest are as beautiful if less well known.

The Farallones are an incredible migration point for marine animals.

California contains the world's tallest trees, the world's most massive trees, and the world's oldest living organisms.

California is one of the most beautiful stretches of geography joined by a political border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World