Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which has better natural scenery, California or Italy?
California 147 54.44%
Italy 123 45.56%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2017, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Near Luxembourg
1,891 posts, read 1,684,673 times
Reputation: 1392

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
California has, perhaps, the world's most beautiful coastline. The rise from the sea to the coast range creates dramatic landscapes both in the north and the south. There is no Italian counterpart to California's vast old-growth forests. Similarly, California's wildflowers and waterfalls are unmatched by Italian counterparts.

Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequioa, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe, the Mojave, Joshua Tree, and Mt. Shasta are justifiably world famous. Lassen Volcanic area, Big Sur, Pinnacles, Los Padres, Big Bear, Mono Lake, Modoc, and Klamath Nat'l Forest are as beautiful if less well known.

The Farallones are an incredible migration point for marine animals.

California contains the world's tallest trees, the world's most massive trees, and the world's oldest living organisms.

California is one of the most beautiful stretches of geography joined by a political border.
Problem is that Italy is a lot smaller than California and with 20M more inhabitants... So strictly talking about 'nature' it's hard for Italy. Because a lot of places are more urbanized.
Yet Italian mountains and their variety are far superior to those in Cali. Whitney peak is far from being the massive Monte Bianco . Cervino is more impressive than the Half Dome and the Amalfi coast is a pure jewel...with comfy water (temperature of water in Cali is a big issue lol...)
Overall, when you spend only few weeks in both, Italy wins.
There are plenty of national parks with endemic species in both cali and Italy.
If you live in California and travel to Italy, you ll probably know jewels of California much better and vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-26-2017, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Trieste
957 posts, read 1,132,973 times
Reputation: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
Problem is that Italy is a lot smaller than California and with 20M more inhabitants... So strictly talking about 'nature' it's hard for Italy. Because a lot of places are more urbanized.
Yet Italian mountains and their variety are far superior to those in Cali. Whitney peak is far from being the massive Monte Bianco . Cervino is more impressive than the Half Dome and the Amalfi coast is a pure jewel...with comfy water (temperature of water in Cali is a big issue lol...)
Overall, when you spend only few weeks in both, Italy wins.
There are plenty of national parks with endemic species in both cali and Italy.
If you live in California and travel to Italy, you ll probably know jewels of California much better and vice versa.
I agree, sometimes I wish we had less population but on the other hand I also see the more unspoiled nature of California as a problem
for example I can't get why Sierra Nevada are so uninhabitaed , no highways passin through, no airports, no hamlets or towns...
Colorado is doin a way better job in developing tourism, economy on its mountains


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
California has, perhaps, the world's most beautiful coastline.
very disputable comment, I don't find Ca coastline that special let alone "the most beautiful in the world"
imho Chile, Cascadia, New Zealand and Italy itself have nicer coastlines
Italy wins over California on this, we have more diverse shoreline

this is Riviera dei Cedri, in Upper Western Calabria

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Reputation: 11937
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
California has, perhaps, the world's most beautiful coastline. The rise from the sea to the coast range creates dramatic landscapes both in the north and the south. There is no Italian counterpart to California's vast old-growth forests. Similarly, California's wildflowers and waterfalls are unmatched by Italian counterparts.

Yosemite, Kings Canyon/Sequioa, Death Valley, Lake Tahoe, the Mojave, Joshua Tree, and Mt. Shasta are justifiably world famous. Lassen Volcanic area, Big Sur, Pinnacles, Los Padres, Big Bear, Mono Lake, Modoc, and Klamath Nat'l Forest are as beautiful if less well known.

The Farallones are an incredible migration point for marine animals.

California contains the world's tallest trees, the world's most massive trees, and the world's oldest living organisms.

California is one of the most beautiful stretches of geography joined by a political border.
I like California and have driven the coast a few times...but best in the world? Glad you love it so much, but there are many, many other coasts around the world that would give it a run for it's money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-26-2017, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Near Luxembourg
1,891 posts, read 1,684,673 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
I agree, sometimes I wish we had less population but on the other hand I also see the more unspoiled nature of California as a problem
for example I can't get why Sierra Nevada are so uninhabitaed , no highways passin through, no airports, no hamlets or towns...
Colorado is doin a way better job in developing tourism, economy on its mountains



very disputable comment, I don't find Ca coastline that special let alone "the most beautiful in the world"
imho Chile, Cascadia, New Zealand and Italy itself have nicer coastlines
Italy wins over California on this, we have more diverse shoreline

this is Riviera dei Cedri, in Upper Western Calabria
Oula the post treatment of this pic' hurts my eyes a little bit!

But yes, I saw the Cali coast and while it's very beautiful, it's certainly not the prettiest ! Thinking about the famous Amalfi one, it's more colorful, water is far better (hotter, crystal like) and roads are amazing. In september/october without tourists, it must be amazing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 01:13 AM
 
10,839 posts, read 14,722,274 times
Reputation: 7874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I like California and have driven the coast a few times...but best in the world? Glad you love it so much, but there are many, many other coasts around the world that would give it a run for it's money.
People who say that usually haven't travelled much. The California coast line can be beaten by many elsewhere if we only talk about beauty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 06:59 AM
 
Location: Bologna, Italy
7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Reputation: 3761
It is true that Italy is very crowded.

As for the Italian coastline, I don't know, it's pretty but rarely practical. In many places you need a parachute to go to the beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 03:30 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,662,332 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
I agree, sometimes I wish we had less population but on the other hand I also see the more unspoiled nature of California as a problem
for example I can't get why Sierra Nevada are so uninhabitaed , no highways passin through, no airports, no hamlets or towns...
Colorado is doin a way better job in developing tourism, economy on its mountains
No, please no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Cannes
2,452 posts, read 2,380,546 times
Reputation: 1620
I lived in Los Angeles and travelled to Italy a lot during my childhood. The only thing Cali has the Italy doesn't is desert. Both have beautiful lakes, Italy has Garda, Como. Cali has Tahoe, Mono...Mountains, Italy has more diversity in my opinion with the Alps, Dolomites and Apennines. As for beaches, Italy blows Cali our of the water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2017, 07:14 PM
 
Location: San Diego, California Republic
16,588 posts, read 27,384,877 times
Reputation: 9059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
I agree, sometimes I wish we had less population but on the other hand I also see the more unspoiled nature of California as a problem
for example I can't get why Sierra Nevada are so uninhabitaed , no highways passin through, no airports, no hamlets or towns...
Colorado is doin a way better job in developing tourism, economy on its mountains
Sounds like you are not at all familiar with the Sierras. First of all, they are entirely too steep for roads to run their length. US395 does run along the eastern edge and interstate 80 traverses it near Lake Tahoe. The weather in the Sierras can make travel impossible in winter. The Sierras contain the snowiest spot in North America. Last winter, 13 feet of snow fell in 5 days! At Lassen Volcanic park they just reopened a road a few weeks ago! The snowfall in the Rockies is never as severe as it is in the Sierras. Nonetheless, few people actually live in the actual Rockies either. Mostly the foothills save maybe Boulder. Half of Colorado is high plains and even desert.

The Sierras can be very inhospitable. The Donner party traveled across the US. Made it through the Rockies. They died in the Sierras.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2017, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Trieste
957 posts, read 1,132,973 times
Reputation: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
I lived in Los Angeles and travelled to Italy a lot during my childhood. The only thing Cali has the Italy doesn't is desert. Both have beautiful lakes, Italy has Garda, Como. Cali has Tahoe, Mono...Mountains, Italy has more diversity in my opinion with the Alps, Dolomites and Apennines. As for beaches, Italy blows Cali our of the water.
Things I'd bring here from California are the sequoia forests, the Half Dome, a huge lake like Tahoe, San Francisco peninsula+bay and the imposing Shasta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Sounds like you are not at all familiar with the Sierras. First of all, they are entirely too steep for roads to run their length. US395 does run along the eastern edge and interstate 80 traverses it near Lake Tahoe. The weather in the Sierras can make travel impossible in winter. The Sierras contain the snowiest spot in North America. Last winter, 13 feet of snow fell in 5 days! At Lassen Volcanic park they just reopened a road a few weeks ago! The snowfall in the Rockies is never as severe as it is in the Sierras. Nonetheless, few people actually live in the actual Rockies either. Mostly the foothills save maybe Boulder. Half of Colorado is high plains and even desert.

The Sierras can be very inhospitable. The Donner party traveled across the US. Made it through the Rockies. They died in the Sierras.
it's a shame nonetheless the place is so underdeveloped, much more people could enjoy it.

p.s. in comparison with the Sierras the Rocky Mountains of Colorado are overpopulated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:59 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top