Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better natural scenery, California or Italy?
California 147 55.06%
Italy 120 44.94%
Voters: 267. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 05:49 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,646,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italian (x)lurker View Post
Things I'd bring here from California are the sequoia forests, the Half Dome, a huge lake like Tahoe, San Francisco peninsula+bay and the imposing Shasta.

it's a shame nonetheless the place is so underdeveloped, much more people could enjoy it.

p.s. in comparison with the Sierras the Rocky Mountains of Colorado are overpopulated...
People enjoy it because it isn't crowded and developed. That's a good thing, not everywhere needs to look like Disneyland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 08:12 PM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
Things I'd bring here from California are the sequoia forests, the Half Dome, a huge lake like Tahoe, San Francisco peninsula+bay and the imposing Shasta.

it's a shame nonetheless the place is so underdeveloped, much more people could enjoy it.

p.s. in comparison with the Sierras the Rocky Mountains of Colorado are overpopulated...
No They are not. Where are you getting that from?

Old 08-29-2017, 05:03 AM

957 posts, read 1,123,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No They are not. Where are you getting that from?
where are in the Sierra the equivalents of Boulder, Aspen, Vail, Dillon, Brekenridge, Kremmling, Eagle, Leadville, Steamboat Spring etc with all the ski resorts, airports and amenities that go with them?

Old 08-29-2017, 05:58 AM

1,147 posts, read 711,145 times
I think California is overrated.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:31 AM

16,581 posts, read 27,248,742 times
Quote:
where are in the Sierra the equivalents of Boulder, Aspen, Vail, Dillon, Brekenridge, Kremmling, Eagle, Leadville, Steamboat Spring etc with all the ski resorts, airports and amenities that go with them?
A lot of those places like Boulder are not in the mountains but adjacent to them, on the high plains. As for the others, they are mostly ski resorts and towns that go with them. The Sierras have those too; Alpine Meadows, Heavenly Valley, Sierra at Tahoe, Northstar, Squaw Valley which has hosted the winter Olympics, Boreal, Sugar Bowl etc. There's Truckee, snowiest city anywhere.

Old 08-30-2017, 09:24 PM

13 posts, read 9,133 times
California is winning this because this forum is based on the US, isn't it? I am from the US and I have no remorse to say that Italy smacks California. As well as Spain does, and France does it too.

Because Italy smacks by a landslide the scenery of California, as well as the diversity and climate diversity. Just with the Alps or the Costa d'Amalfi you have anything that California has always dreamed of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5xUePnvfg0

California wins easily. But I'm not a fun of Italy (too noisy, too disorderly, surprisingly cold in winter)
lol... can I ask you, where are you from? you're not a "fun" of ?

Italy surprisingly cold in winter? Is this a soft joke? Have you been in coastal Sicily in winter? It has winters almost as warm as San Diego does.

Old 08-31-2017, 04:49 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,661,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
Why do we have to make a choice? Both are outstandingly scenic and both have areas of great ugliness.
Because else it's not funny :]

Old 08-31-2017, 09:04 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,358,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barikello View Post
California is winning this because this forum is based on the US, isn't it? I am from the US and I have no remorse to say that Italy smacks California. As well as Spain does, and France does it too.

Because Italy smacks by a landslide the scenery of California, as well as the diversity and climate diversity. Just with the Alps or the Costa d'Amalfi you have anything that California has always dreamed of.

Italy surprisingly cold in winter? Is this a soft joke? Have you been in coastal Sicily in winter? It has winters almost as warm as San Diego does.
Go to Naples, Pompeii, Rome (yes, Rome), and then go to the other side of the bridge in Florence and tell me how great Italy is.

Old 08-31-2017, 01:54 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,646,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barikello View Post

The bold is factually incorrect. You can hold the opinion that the scenery of Italy beats California but you cannot make the claim that it has more climate or biome diversity.

Biomes: California has 4, Italy has 3, France has 3 and Spain has 2
Climate Zones: California has 8, Italy has 7, France has 5 and Spain has 5
Highest Temp: California 57 C, Italy 47 C, France 44 C and Spain 47 C
Lowest Temp: California -43 C, Italy -45 C, France -41 C and Spain -30 C
Temp Span: California 100 C, Italy 92 C, France 85 C and Spain 77 C

Last edited by Iaskwhy; 08-31-2017 at 02:03 PM..

Old 08-31-2017, 06:53 PM

13 posts, read 9,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
The bold is factually incorrect. You can hold the opinion that the scenery of Italy beats California but you cannot make the claim that it has more climate or biome diversity.

Biomes: California has 4, Italy has 3, France has 3 and Spain has 2
Climate Zones: California has 8, Italy has 7, France has 5 and Spain has 5
Highest Temp: California 57 C, Italy 47 C, France 44 C and Spain 47 C
Lowest Temp: California -43 C, Italy -45 C, France -41 C and Spain -30 C
Temp Span: California 100 C, Italy 92 C, France 85 C and Spain 77 C
mmm... who told you that? That's very incorrect!

Biomes: Spain has 6, Italy has 5, France has 4...
Climate zones: Spain has 13, Italy has 12, France has 11, California has 10.
If we remove the little spots of each climate, which are very small zones, we achieve that Spain has 11 climate zones, Italy 9, California 8 and France 7.

The landscape variation of California is only bigger than the French one. The Spanish & Italian one smacks it from a landslide. I'm not sure where you can find an humid subtropical climate, a natural decidious forest or a tundra landscape in a high mountain within the state limits of California... in fact i'm completely sure because you can't.

The highest temp, lowest temp and temp span are irrelevant. I was talking about landscapes and climates, as well as variety. California doesn't win on none of those. And don't forget the history and beauty of Italy, which smacks anything related in California. We both know that lots of places within California are just suburbs, suburbs and more suburbs with houses and houses and houses. Whilst even in a small Italian town you will find some magic out there, the little church, the town hall's square, the Roman fountain, the old houses near modern styled houses... It's not even a fair comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World