Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Which has better natural scenery, California or Italy?
California 147 54.44%
Italy 123 45.56%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

 
 
Old 08-31-2017, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Manassas, VA
13 posts, read 9,416 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Go to Naples, Pompeii, Rome (yes, Rome), and then go to the other side of the bridge in Florence and tell me how great Italy is.
98% of the beauty within California is maded of natural land. Such as forests, national parks, deserts... Very few zones within urban areas are truly beautiful, although every person has it's own personal taste.

Besides in Italy, it's 50/50. Not only the astonishing natural entourage, but also most of the cities, towns, monuments... For God's sake, just with the Italian Alps, the Lake Como, Florence, Bologna and Venice you don't need nothing more to put California out of the game. I'm American, i'm very proud of it, but we can't deny the facts buddy. Most of the Western European countries are a world apart in terms of beauty.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-31-2017, 08:37 PM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,661,244 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by barikello View Post
mmm... who told you that? That's very incorrect!

Biomes: Spain has 6, Italy has 5, France has 4...
Climate zones: Spain has 13, Italy has 12, France has 11, California has 10.
If we remove the little spots of each climate, which are very small zones, we achieve that Spain has 11 climate zones, Italy 9, California 8 and France 7.

The landscape variation of California is only bigger than the French one. The Spanish & Italian one smacks it from a landslide. I'm not sure where you can find an humid subtropical climate, a natural decidious forest or a tundra landscape in a high mountain within the state limits of California... in fact i'm completely sure because you can't.

The highest temp, lowest temp and temp span are irrelevant. I was talking about landscapes and climates, as well as variety. California doesn't win on none of those. And don't forget the history and beauty of Italy, which smacks anything related in California. We both know that lots of places within California are just suburbs, suburbs and more suburbs with houses and houses and houses. Whilst even in a small Italian town you will find some magic out there, the little church, the town hall's square, the Roman fountain, the old houses near modern styled houses... It's not even a fair comparison.
Everything I posted comes straight from SEDAC. Please tell me where you got your info from.

How can you claim temperature doesn't matter when discussing climate?

The thread isn't about towns.



http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/dow...th-america.jpg



http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/dow...mes-europe.jpg



http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/downloads/maps/nagdc/nagdc-population-landscape-climate-estimates-v3/place3-climatezones-obs-1976-2000-north-america.jpg[/url]



http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/dow...025-europe.jpg
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 04:46 AM
 
Location: Near Luxembourg
1,891 posts, read 1,683,480 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Everything I posted comes straight from SEDAC. Please tell me where you got your info from.

How can you claim temperature doesn't matter when discussing climate?

The thread isn't about towns.



http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/dow...th-america.jpg



http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/dow...mes-europe.jpg



http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/downloads/maps/nagdc/nagdc-population-landscape-climate-estimates-v3/place3-climatezones-obs-1976-2000-north-america.jpg[/url]



http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/dow...025-europe.jpg

Certes,

But Italian nature isn't less impressive at all, in fact it is really impressive. I was more impressed by italian Alps, than entire Sierra Nevada, even if General Sherman is stunning (and smells good lol). On one hand the desert par of California is something that does not exist in Italy, on the other hand, the Italian coast is (far, IMO) superior as well as its moutains.
Without fancy filters, in Italy, Monte Rosa (4634m):


Cervino, 4478m


Monte Bianco (4810):




In California the Whitney has no allure. The Shasta is impressive, standing 3000m above the plain. Yet when you saw the Italian south face of the Monte Bianco, that is 3500m high above the valley, It's more impressive. As well as the south face of the Cervino that is 1,2km straight, much more impressive than the Whitney's pillars. The south face of the monte Rosa does not exist in California. Nor the Dolomites.

For the coast, the Californian one is amazing and impossible to "use" (= swim). The Italian one is amazing, and ultra comfy, with also roads along it like California. Sardegna, Sicily(Etna) and co are also in the equation...

Last edited by Pokitobounto; 09-01-2017 at 05:03 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 05:17 AM
 
Location: Manassas, VA
13 posts, read 9,416 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
Everything I posted comes straight from SEDAC. Please tell me where you got your info from.

How can you claim temperature doesn't matter when discussing climate?

The thread isn't about towns.



http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/dow...th-america.jpg



http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/dow...mes-europe.jpg



http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/downloads/maps/nagdc/nagdc-population-landscape-climate-estimates-v3/place3-climatezones-obs-1976-2000-north-america.jpg[/url]



http://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/dow...025-europe.jpg
Then that data is very wrong buddy.
That data is maded in a very large scale, it's not emphasizing on each territory. And their source is the old Köppen climate map maded by some students from an Australian university... Spain, Italy and Greece (in this order) have a lot of different climates, all of them 3 having more than 13. (13, 12, 11 in this order).

For example, the Spanish climate chart: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...y_Baleares.png

That's extracted from their official climatic guide and maded by their own met agency, I suppose that there isn't anyone more trustworthy for Spanish data than their own met agency, which is also awarded by the NOAA (AEMET), btw. If you want the official data just tell me and i'll paste the link, but it's an entire climatic guide with more than 100 pages.

For Italy: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...aly_koppen.svg
For France: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nce_koppen.svg

About the biome thing, i've took another sources too. For Spain I can count 6, for Italy 5 and for France 4. California has 10 different climates too if we count every little spot.
Temperature matters, of course, but i'm saying that it's not very relevant here if we take their all time extremes. Anyways, in that topic, California wins by a landslide. But not in climate/landscape variety.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 05:39 AM
 
Location: Bologna, Italy
7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Reputation: 3761
That climate map for France is allegedly wrong or very old, there's far more Cfa than this. Also there are substantial climatic differences between, say, Brest and Strasbourg.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Near Luxembourg
1,891 posts, read 1,683,480 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by barikello View Post
Then that data is very wrong buddy.
That data is maded in a very large scale, it's not emphasizing on each territory. And their source is the old Köppen climate map maded by some students from an Australian university... Spain, Italy and Greece (in this order) have a lot of different climates, all of them 3 having more than 13. (13, 12, 11 in this order).

For example, the Spanish climate chart: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...y_Baleares.png

That's extracted from their official climatic guide and maded by their own met agency, I suppose that there isn't anyone more trustworthy for Spanish data than their own met agency, which is also awarded by the NOAA (AEMET), btw. If you want the official data just tell me and i'll paste the link, but it's an entire climatic guide with more than 100 pages.

For Italy: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...aly_koppen.svg
For France: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nce_koppen.svg

About the biome thing, i've took another sources too. For Spain I can count 6, for Italy 5 and for France 4. California has 10 different climates too if we count every little spot.
Temperature matters, of course, but i'm saying that it's not very relevant here if we take their all time extremes. Anyways, in that topic, California wins by a landslide. But not in climate/landscape variety.
Spain everywhere, climate everywhere, AEMET source, this style of writing.... Is it the come back of the legendary J. ?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Near Luxembourg
1,891 posts, read 1,683,480 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
That climate map for France is allegedly wrong or very old, there's far more Cfa than this. Also there are substantial climatic differences between, say, Brest and Strasbourg.
They should check in Aubrac high plains if it's oceanic
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 09:06 AM
 
Location: Bologna, Italy
7,503 posts, read 6,285,226 times
Reputation: 3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post
They should check in Aubrac high plains if it's oceanic
yeah, that too.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2017, 10:55 AM
 
1,770 posts, read 1,661,244 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by barikello View Post
Then that data is very wrong buddy.
That data is maded in a very large scale, it's not emphasizing on each territory. And their source is the old Köppen climate map maded by some students from an Australian university... Spain, Italy and Greece (in this order) have a lot of different climates, all of them 3 having more than 13. (13, 12, 11 in this order).

For example, the Spanish climate chart: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...y_Baleares.png

That's extracted from their official climatic guide and maded by their own met agency, I suppose that there isn't anyone more trustworthy for Spanish data than their own met agency, which is also awarded by the NOAA (AEMET), btw. If you want the official data just tell me and i'll paste the link, but it's an entire climatic guide with more than 100 pages.

For Italy: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...aly_koppen.svg
For France: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nce_koppen.svg

About the biome thing, i've took another sources too. For Spain I can count 6, for Italy 5 and for France 4. California has 10 different climates too if we count every little spot.
Temperature matters, of course, but i'm saying that it's not very relevant here if we take their all time extremes. Anyways, in that topic, California wins by a landslide. But not in climate/landscape variety.
SEDAC comes from NASA and Columbia University, you are saying their data is wrong?

You cannot compare apples and oranges, you need climate maps from the same source, in the same scale. Otherwise, it's meaningless. Please link your sources.

Here is another map where California has more climates than France, Italy and Spain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Köppe...h_authors).svg

Last edited by Iaskwhy; 09-01-2017 at 11:10 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top