U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more vibrant between them?
NYC 49 45.37%
London 59 54.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 02:16 AM

861 posts, read 719,995 times

Advertisements

Nonsensical discussion as both are great cities, each with their own unique selling points.

I love NY for its modern skyline and bustle.

I love London for the diversity of areas and history.

As I love both cities, the only thing I can say is that the rest of the world does appear to favour London as it is the world's most popular city going by tourist numbers.

It is also the preferred home of the world's wealthy, who pile into the London property market in droves.. But that being said, reading a nice book in a post-war high ceiling apartment overlooking central park is hard to beat to me.

In short both great towns
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2015, 03:01 AM

1,636 posts, read 994,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
Nonsensical discussion as both are great cities, each with their own unique selling points.

I love NY for its modern skyline and bustle.

I love London for the diversity of areas and history.

As I love both cities, the only thing I can say is that the rest of the world does appear to favour London as it is the world's most popular city going by tourist numbers.

It is also the preferred home of the world's wealthy, who pile into the London property market in droves.. But that being said, reading a nice book in a post-war high ceiling apartment overlooking central park is hard to beat to me.

In short both great towns
A modern glass front riverside apartment in or near Central London takes some beating.

http://www.architecturaldigest.com/b...xon-som-thames
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2009/feb/11/woody-allen-to-return-to-london

Last edited by Hightower72; 07-17-2015 at 03:20 AM..

Old 07-17-2015, 04:51 AM

861 posts, read 719,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightower72 View Post
Touche

Also I dont think many people realise how many new towers are planned for London. In a decade London will probably look closer to Manhattan in parts than any other European capital

Old 07-18-2015, 01:20 AM

61 posts, read 52,433 times
I just came back from London and love it. I have been there many times and think it's a great city. But the London described here and the real life of London are not the same.

London is not clean. Anyone who says so doesn't travel or is lying to themselves. I stayed at the Shangri-La Hotel at the Shard for one week, and would walk out of my hotel room and cross into the major road, Borough High St, and there would be trash, vomit and filth on the level that I haven't ever experienced in New York. The city feels polluted, I wore flip-flops when I arrived, and when I got back to my hotel my feet were black. London does have its very clean areas. Areas in Knightbridge are generally very clean, but so is New York's Upper West Side. As a whole - London is a big dirty city. There is nothing wrong with that, but to pretend otherwise is just being an idiot.

And finally, Londoners/Brits (on this forum) seem to have some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to the U.S. and New York. Click on the poll and look at who voted. More than half of the "people" who voted for London are ghost accounts with 0 posts. LOL.

So people create fake accounts just to pull London ahead of New York. How embarrassing. And not only this specific thread, I've noticed London is suddenly tied with New York in the Paris vs. New York vs London poll...it was far behind New York when I looked at that a week ago. Hahaha. London is a great city, you don't have to rig polls for people to think highly of it. I've noticed Londoners here take the city very seriously and like comparing it to New York (simply to tell tall-tales of how much better it is, and to insult the place), in comparison people in New York and the United States simply don't give London and England any thought.

To answer the question: New York is more vibrant. Its energy is unlike any other.

Last edited by Charles V; 07-18-2015 at 01:57 AM..

Old 07-18-2015, 03:21 AM

1,274 posts, read 1,032,964 times
I don't think anyone takes the poll that seriously Charles or James (how about Henry for your next one?), it's the discussion that's more interesting. In any case many of those voting London are not even from here!

And very few of us have actually insulted NYC, but it seems we're constantly having to defend London from certain comments which need to be challenged.

Old 07-18-2015, 04:22 AM

969 posts, read 705,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
I don't think anyone takes the poll that seriously Charles or James (how about Henry for your next one?), it's the discussion that's more interesting. In any case many of those voting London are not even from here!

And very few of us have actually insulted NYC, but it seems we're constantly having to defend London from certain comments which need to be challenged.
There is plenty to criticize about London, but anti-London polemicists here have always had a tendency to be - how shall we say - a little detached from reality?

Remember 18montclair, Irene-CD and the mayhem they caused on these forums a while back?

Last edited by CTDominion; 07-18-2015 at 04:34 AM..

Old 07-18-2015, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
There is plenty to criticize about London, but anti-London polemicists here have always had a tendency to be - how shall we say - a little detached from reality?

Remember 18montclair, Irene-CD and the mayhem they caused on these forums a while back?
Oh yes 18montclair and Irene - who can forget those two?!

Of course London isn't perfect, it drives me insane sometimes (tube delays or strikes, the road traffic etc) but ultimately it's a small price to pay for living here. It's comments such as it's a "sleepy old people's town" which make no sense to anyone who lives here and experiences how busy it can get at times.

Old 07-18-2015, 09:24 AM

491 posts, read 686,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles V View Post
And finally, Londoners/Brits (on this forum) seem to have some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to the U.S. and New York. Click on the poll and look at who voted. More than half of the "people" who voted for London are ghost accounts with 0 posts. LOL.

So people create fake accounts just to pull London ahead of New York. How embarrassing. And not only this specific thread, I've noticed London is suddenly tied with New York in the Paris vs. New York vs London poll...it was far behind New York when I looked at that a week ago. Hahaha. London is a great city, you don't have to rig polls for people to think highly of it. I've noticed Londoners here take the city very seriously and like comparing it to New York (simply to tell tall-tales of how much better it is, and to insult the place), in comparison people in New York and the United States simply don't give London and England any thought.

To answer the question: New York is more vibrant. Its energy is unlike any other.
I've noticed all this too. I've also wondered if all these London posters are really just 2 or 3 people. I have a hard time believing one place could attract such a high number of obnoxious defensive posters.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
I've noticed all this too. I've also wondered if all these London posters are really just 2 or 3 people. I have a hard time believing one place could attract such a high number of obnoxious defensive posters.
Actually, skimming through the thread again, the first occurrence of anyone being obnoxious was by someone from the US ("NYC is kind of a dump by comparison"). This was rebuked with an equally obnoxious post from KaneKane. Most of the posters on here, on either side of the argument, are actually quite civil.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:00 PM

Abu Dhabi is fourth on that poll. Read into that what you will.

From the article you linked to:

"Studying the voting pattern from individual countries in the Ipsos survey reveals an element of Eurovision-style block voting, combined with national pride."

It also mentions that the British polled chose NYC, London and Sydney as favourites - not that they like NYC best. Ultimately polls like this are meaningless, I'm pretty sure if I could be bothered I could find a poll to support my argument. As I mentioned earlier, it's the discussion, not the poll results which is interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World