U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more vibrant between them?
NYC 49 45.37%
London 59 54.63%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 12:05 PM

61 posts, read 52,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
Abu Dhabi is fourth on that poll. Read into that what you will.

From the article you linked to:

"Studying the voting pattern from individual countries in the Ipsos survey reveals an element of Eurovision-style block voting, combined with national pride."

Ultimately polls like this are meaningless, I'm pretty sure if I could be bothered I could find a poll to support my argument. As I mentioned earlier, it's the discussion, not the poll results which is interesting.
Sure, the Muslim world voted for Abu Dhabi en masse, but the rest of the world doesn't seem to have the blind allegiance. Even Britons chose New York over London.

Here is a sample from some of the countries, and how they voted:
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 12:09 PM

1,274 posts, read 1,035,040 times
So? Another poll might have a different outcome. I prefer to judge cities through my own experience. If it makes you feel better though...

Old 07-18-2015, 12:13 PM

969 posts, read 706,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles V View Post
"Outed"?

How long did it take you to create all of those fake accounts to make London "beat" New York? Fact: most of the London votes come from accounts that were created in the past few days and have 0 posts. The way you skirt around this sad matter at hand and keep on with your personal insults makes you seem mighty guilty.

I am impressed how determined Londoners on City-Data are to create the perception that their city is unmatched. You have very strong allegiance to your city. How cute. And sad. The anti-New York insults are one thing but to rig polls to make a few hundred people on City Data think more people like London is laughably sad.

Oh, and for the interested - there was already a scientific poll of which city people like the best...and New York won.

Footnote: They polled by country, and even people in the United Kingdom ranked New York as the better city. LOL.
Sounds to me like you're the one getting mighty "defensive" here London Lawyer/UAE50/James IV/James 4/Charles V.

Come on, it's not as if you're even trying to be subtle about it. I actually missed you, welcome back.

Old 07-18-2015, 12:49 PM

3,785 posts, read 2,260,525 times
I'm a Londoner, love my city but have to say New York is more vibrant.

Also the fact there's a variety of Latinos sways me a bit, as I'm one and I love the banter between us. Especially among the Caribbean nations i.e. Dominicans, Colombians, Panamenians, Cubans, Boricuas and Venezuelans. We know how to dis each other without being to PC or offended about it.

What I do love about London though is the winding roads, it feels more organic and I love the boutiques and independent businesses hidden just off the main centres in places like Angel & Islington, London Fields, etc. I also love the fact that it's like loads of villages bordering one another.

If you want to feel like you're in gritty New York head to Brixton, it's chaos every day but its so energizing. Overall though NYC wins out on vibrancy, London on overall appeal personally. Although with higher rents and the international super rich wanting to make a quick buck on the London property market, we're loosing important institutions that have made this city great such as the live music scene. The Troubadour is the latest of many of the highly publicized gig shut-downs to be threatened with closure, a pub that has hosted the likes of Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Paul Simon, Elvis Costello all the way up to present day Ed Sheeran, should be protected from property moguls and stuffy neighbours.

Londoners in all manifestations need to take back our city!

Old 07-18-2015, 01:01 PM

Yes it's a shame about The Troubadour. I shot a couple of short promotional videos for them about five years ago and found the owners really lovely. Happily, in the last few years a number of other small venues have popped up (or existed before and just started hosting gigs in the last few years). Live music in London won't be dying out anytime soon

Old 07-18-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblofuerte View Post
I'm a Londoner, love my city but have to say New York is more vibrant.

Also the fact there's a variety of Latinos sways me a bit, as I'm one and I love the banter between us. Especially among the Caribbean nations i.e. Dominicans, Colombians, Panamenians, Cubans, Boricuas and Venezuelans. We know how to dis each other without being to PC or offended about it.

What I do love about London though is the winding roads, it feels more organic and I love the boutiques and independent businesses hidden just off the main centres in places like Angel & Islington, London Fields, etc. I also love the fact that it's like loads of villages bordering one another.

If you want to feel like you're in gritty New York head to Brixton, it's chaos every day but its so energizing. Overall though NYC wins out on vibrancy, London on overall appeal personally. Although with higher rents and the international super rich wanting to make a quick buck on the London property market, we're loosing important institutions that have made this city great such as the live music scene. The Troubadour is the latest of many of the highly publicized gig shut-downs to be threatened with closure, a pub that has hosted the likes of Bob Dylan, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Paul Simon, Elvis Costello all the way up to present day Ed Sheeran, should be protected from property moguls and stuffy neighbours.

Londoners in all manifestations need to take back our city!
I think everyone should note well. This is how you make a valid critique of London.

He states his personal preferences (prefers Latino or ethnic company, prefers grit and 'craziness'), makes criticisms that have some objective basis in reality (the social cleansing, increasing rents, class divide, and exclusiveness of London) and on that foundation make a preference one way or another.

Though I may not agree with his conclusion that NYC is more vibrant, at least his premises are identifiable with reality in some way.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:15 PM

61 posts, read 52,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
I think everyone should note well. This is how you make a valid critique of London.

He states his personal preferences (prefers Latino or ethnic company, prefers grit and 'craziness'), makes criticisms that have some objective basis in reality (the social cleansing, increasing rents, class divide, and exclusiveness of London) and on that foundation make a preference one way or another.

Though I may not agree with his conclusion that NYC is more vibrant, at least his premises are identifiable with reality in some way.

Most of his criticisms of London are exaggerated. He likes Latino culture, a Muslim would probably prefer London since London has a very Middle-Eastern vibe these days. London and New York are both very cosmopolitan and you are full of many different people.

Rents? I'm not sure there is any major western city in the world in which rents aren't increasing. And London's class divide isn't really that stark compared to American cities as the United Kingdom has more benefits for poor and middle-class people. The United States tax policies favors the rich, which is why there are far more of them in New York and nationwide. London's property values are high, but it will never be an exclusive boutique city because the poor will always be subsidized via council estates. And it's a port city so it will always have massive seas of working-class. The global elite aren't really after the boroughs in which most Londoners live. Most of London is lower-middle class and will stay that way. It isn't Monaco. It's a big, gritty, hard, working-class cosmopolitan city.

London is also very gritty and bleak is you leave the key parts of Central London. You don't have to confine yourself to Brixton if that look is what you're after.

A great photo-essay on London and if anyone is interested, here is the "real" London:
London, England Photos

I personally love it.

Last edited by Charles V; 07-18-2015 at 02:30 PM..

Old 07-18-2015, 02:45 PM

Of course, let's compare the two cities according to their ugliest areas and see how New York fares.

Old 07-18-2015, 02:49 PM

That's a pretty good thread which captures some, though not all, of the qualities of London. Shame the photographer visited in December/January as it does lend the images a rather gloomy atmosphere! I'm quite compelled to go out with my own camera and take some shots in the glorious sunshine

I would disagree that all of London is gritty and bleak away from the centre though, there are some quite lovely areas on the outside.

Old 07-18-2015, 05:36 PM

532 posts, read 520,743 times
Quote:
London Lawyer/UAE50/James IV/James 4/Charles V
LOL. I wonder how deep this rabbit hole goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
That's a pretty good thread which captures some, though not all, of the qualities of London. Shame the photographer visited in December/January as it does lend the images a rather gloomy atmosphere! I'm quite compelled to go out with my own camera and take some shots in the glorious sunshine

I would disagree that all of London is gritty and bleak away from the centre though, there are some quite lovely areas on the outside.
Or one could just watch the videos posted by SE9, if you want the feel of Central London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World