Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2015, 08:52 AM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times

Advertisements

Well in London I noticed most of the beggars were foreign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
The OP talked about Calais migrants.

And in my country they're both migrants and "locals".

A lot of Roma too. Begging for "money, money for my child, please !"....

Sorry if I get off-topic.
Yes we have them here. They have some arrogance don't they? Asking us for money as if we don't have our own problems.

No I will not give you money for you to take back to your house later...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2015, 08:57 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,405 times
Yes, for sure in the USA most homeless people were born and raised here.

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 07-12-2015 at 09:22 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 09:01 AM

10,889 posts, read 2,191,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Well in London I noticed most of the beggars were foreign.

Yes we have them here. They have some arrogance don't they? Asking us for money as if we don't have our own problems.

No I will not give you money for you to take back to your house later...
Arrogance I don't know but they're insistent sometimes. When you're nearly inside the supermarket and they ask you money for their child, you say politly no, a smile and you go inside, and when you come out they're still here and ask you again, like you just didn't totally said no earlier.
Me and my mum don't have a lot of money, I really don't imagine doing what they're all doing now. It must be horrible.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:20 AM

I would never ask anyone for money.

Old 07-12-2015, 09:30 AM

You would steal it instead ?

Joking...

EDIT : Thanks Sickandtiredofthis.

Last edited by Eden Morlevent; 07-12-2015 at 09:38 AM..

Old 07-12-2015, 09:36 AM

Steal

Old 07-12-2015, 09:39 AM

Well, I'm like those poor foreign homeless people, I don't speak the language very well...

Old 07-12-2015, 09:57 AM

Haha

Old 07-12-2015, 05:52 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorianD View Post
There are definitely homeless people in Germany. But I really don't know how much compared to other countries. There are statistics about this topic, but the figures vary strongly. It seems difficult to define homelessness and to count the number of those who really live on the street. Here in Düsseldorf we don't have that much homeless people. The city has a pop of about 600k. I would guess that during a year I see maybe 5 to 10 different homeless people in the city (those people who really live on the street). But there is a very high number of people who live in a precarious housing situation. Those who live by day on the streets and sleep during the night by friends or in a provided shelter. There are several homeless charity organizations. It looks like that they offer alot of services. For example there is a mobile veterinarian service for dogs of homeless people: Underdog - Home

When I use Google Streetview to roam through major American cities. It's clear that homelessness is much more prevalent in the U.S. than in Germany. Homelessness is a problem in Germany, but it's nothing like it is in the U.S. I would guess that the city of Los Angeles alone has much more homeless people than the whole of Germany. The first time I saw pictures from Skid Row, I was so shocked. It's so sad.
Those people are homeless? Those are the cleanest homeless people I have ever seen!

Old 07-12-2015, 05:54 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,210,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Well I don't like the classification of Europe as a single entity as there are massive differences.

Anyway where I live in Northern Ireland (UK) it is probably below average and there is alot of poverty (more because there is no industry) but it is more not having alot of money rather than none.

There are alot of drugs in council estates etc. I don't see anyone living on the street though, that is rare in my country, nearly everyone will be given a council house.

In Europe it's different, I seen people lying on the streets everywhere, it was sad and disgusting - that would never happen here.
The same could be said of the US, there are very different cities and regions. In my OP I asked about which cities and places in Europe have the largest homeless problems and which have the least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World