Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which feels grander *at the CORE*- Mexico City or Madrid?
Madrid 12 44.44%
Mexico City 14 51.85%
tie 1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 03:34 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,469 times

Advertisements

^^^^^

Follow the link, there are plenty of videos showing MC's core.

http://youtu.be/9yhv6eg-lG8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 06:39 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,947,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Not to derail from your actual quest, and maybe not related to it but; flying above Madrid, the city looks quite small in contrast to Mexico City which seems endless.
I once flew from Madrid to MC and when we were approaching the city one of the flight attendants -spaniard guy- was completely speechless while looking tru the window, he actually mentioned how amazed he was of such massive city.
Say what you want about Mexico, one thing no one can deny is how big it is and feels.
European cities in general are much more compact than their American counterparts. Part of the reason is that Europe in general, and western Europe in particular, has very strict land using laws. Another reason is that the average European country has a much more dense population than most American countries.

I think only in Central America and the Caribbean do American countries resemble European population densities, but more relaxed land tenure encourages cities even there to spread more than their European counterpart. Cuba is a notable exception where Havana has more than 2 million people, but the city actually covers a small area.

Mexico City could had been built in a smaller area if the authorities would had been as strict as Europeans are regarding land use. I still think Mexico City would cover a much bigger area than Madrid simply because it has many millions more people, but not to the extent the city spreads today.

Old 07-26-2015, 10:11 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Thanks so much for emphasizing my OP, nei. Could any of you provide video links to vibrancy in Mexico City's core(s) (non-festival) that easily tops that shown in these two videos filmed in Madrid
?
You live in the U.S, no excuse not to take a cheap flight to Mexico City. Spend a few days there, very economical hotels even in centro/zocalo areas and by all means, tell me you don't experience exactly what I explained in my post about it. Much better than trying to get people to win you over with video's or even statistics go see both and experience them with your eyes and ears and please after that do message me and tell me that I'm totally right on this lol. I have zero inclination to favour one city over the other here but I think anyone who has honestly been to both of these cities would across the board admit that Mexico city is just more dense, vibrant, grand you name it - especially in its DT cores... I could be wrong, but its like you put it in your mind that a city that you think is more vibrant or more this and that must be and if there is evidence that challenges you resist for some reason.

Its not just about heavy ped traffic in one place like the beautiful Plaza Mayor ( one of the vids showed in Madrid) - its all over the dt core(s) of Mexico City one street after the other after the other after the other...... Honestly, no offense but I don't think either you or Nei have been to Mexico City or Madrid because if you did you wouldn't be ignoring what some of us in here are trying to tell you because they have experienced both places.

Speaking of Plaza Mayor in Madrid - there is a great and economical hotel not far from it which is very central to many of the sights in Madrid and within a 5 minute walk to the Sol Metro station (if you want more information feel free to pm me). I do recommend Madrid as it absolutely is vibrant, dense and has some absolutely STUNNING architecture, wonderful museums and great party atmosphere - but as dense, grand and vibrant as Mexico city, core, outside the core - through and through no way Jose!

Last edited by fusion2; 07-26-2015 at 11:07 PM..

Old 07-26-2015, 10:29 PM

Going to church in Mexico city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6uuQaMXjNs

Old 07-26-2015, 10:30 PM

Going on the subway in Mexico City

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsIIhjAAeyE

Old 07-26-2015, 10:33 PM

Crossing a busy street in centro historico Mexico city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eqtldcz_XI

Old 07-28-2015, 04:20 PM

929 posts, read 1,902,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Crossing a busy street in centro historico Mexico city

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eqtldcz_XI
Whoa, now those are some Shibuya level crowds there! I guess, the core of Mexico City is indeed a lot more vibrant than that of Madrid. I guess the reason I even brought it up is cuz the structural/built density in inner Madrid seems to be much more, even though the crowds in Mexico City's core are far larger. Mexico City still seems (from pics/vids, as I haven't personally visited) structurally airy, though it's certainly grand.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballniket View Post
Whoa, now those are some Shibuya level crowds there! I guess, the core of Mexico City is indeed a lot more vibrant than that of Madrid. I guess the reason I even brought it up is cuz the structural/built density in inner Madrid seems to be much more, even though the crowds in Mexico City's core are far larger. Mexico City still seems (from pics/vids, as I haven't personally visited) structurally airy, though it's certainly grand.
Structurally airy? - man you have GOT to visit Mexico City that's all I got to say about that.. Just walk through randoms streets all throughout the city especially in and around Centro and that structurally airy premise will be blown to smithereens lol.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:24 PM

Bballniket - this youtube video has your name all over it - Just ignore his comments on the crime rate in Mexico City I don't even know why he got into that but still some good aerials over this Megacity and some good street scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nwsj4Q08Go

Old 07-28-2015, 07:15 PM

844 posts, read 1,063,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Structurally airy? - man you have GOT to visit Mexico City that's all I got to say about that.. Just walk through randoms streets all throughout the city especially in and around Centro and that structurally airy premise will be blown to smithereens lol.

I don't think OP wants to hear any opinions, he has already file a veredict in his mind. Hopefully one day he experience both places, and only then will he be able to pas judgment not based on pictures of a certain place in a certain hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World