Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2023, 04:49 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

I’m world traveled, understand using common sense when traveling to avoid being a victim of crime. However, i read multiple articles saying this year crime is way up targeting tourists in Medellin. I just want to hear from anyone who lives there or has recently been whether or not they think this is something for a tourist to worry about or not. I know everywhere has risk, but just want to make sure there isn’t any unusual risk right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 05:40 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I’m world traveled, understand using common sense when traveling to avoid being a victim of crime. However, i read multiple articles saying this year crime is way up targeting tourists in Medellin. I just want to hear from anyone who lives there or has recently been whether or not they think this is something for a tourist to worry about or not. I know everywhere has risk, but just want to make sure there isn’t any unusual risk right now.
I was in Medellin in January so what 7 months ago. I think it depends on where you go in the city. Most tourists stick around El Poblado and Laureles. El Poblado in particular is where tourists go. Laureles you do get tourists but it has more of a local and neighbourly feel. Both areas are considered mid to upper class in the city. In those places, I felt perfectly safe - day and night. There are so many people around, the streets lively and no problems at all! Now sure at night i'd avoid going down dark streets that are empty - that is common sense everywhere.

The centro dt area is fun and during the daytime is ok. Just stick around areas well trafficked which isn't hard because it is bursting with people and vibrancy. I would however avoid at night as it can get sketchy. I'm not saying don't go at night at all but uber is your friend! Also, pickpocketing is known to be common in Centro so just keep you stuff secure. Also, the locals have a saying and that is don't show your papaya - don't walk around with expensive anything - it puts a BIG bullseye on you as a target. This is not Beverly Hills lol.

Also, there are group tours of Commune 13. I would go there it is a Barrio and used to be notoriously dangerous. I wouldn't go there alone with with a tour perfectly safe. Money talks in this case. Also do go to Guatape - it is absolutely a tourist trap but still beautiful place and gets you into some of the more rural areas of the country. There is also a town there close to Guatape, forget the name again - tourist trap but still a really charming place with colourful houses and artwork. Good coffee too! Again just go on a group tour - it was like 20 bucks USD for a full day trip including lunch! The Pablo Escobar tour is cool and informative. You go to the house he stayed while in 'house arrest' but it is in a mountainous area and offers beautiful views of the city which is in a valley. and also his grave. Lots of info and all the hell he was responsible for and victims lost which was tragic but still very informative - just don't talk openly about him or the cocaine trade - they are still healing from it. You can google search the places above for more info.

All that said, I wouldn't hesitate to go back. Beautiful people, fun city and lots of day trips. Food is ok although I think Bogota has Medellin beat by a long shot for culinary pursuits and culture - Medellin is just more fun - I think its the Antiochian spirit! Colombia is an awesome country and very affordable!

Btw what have you read that states crime against tourists is up? I have heard there is more a target for expats with businesses. Also, have fun but be very very careful if you meet anyone. There is a drug called Scopolamine and it is known that tourists have been targetted whereby their drink is spiked. If it is a girl or guy at your hotel room/airbnb this drug can knock you out for a day and when you get up - you luckily woke up but all your values left with your 'friend' - this is pretty rare but can happen so just be aware. Otherwise broadly speaking Colombians are friendly and wonderful people.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-23-2023 at 05:59 PM..

Old 07-24-2023, 06:14 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
I was last there 11 months ago, but will be back in the fall. I have never had a problem there, and use the same streets smarts I would in any city. Poblado is vibrant as heck and always safe to me, as mentioned earlier El centro has been known to have pick pockets and smaller crimes take place there, but during the day time you should be fine.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:25 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampuh View Post
I just wonder why everyone is so eager to smooth over violent crime in Colombia but so eager to exaggerate it in the US. I'm just astonished at this stuff.
I don't see it like that at all. Most people don't let violent crime in the U.S impact their travel plans. I visit the U.S frequently and recognize it for what it is, an issue but with sensible precautions it wouldn't detract me from visiting the U.S at all. Same thing with Colombia.

Here we go with this though - injecting some sort of anti-american bias into the equation when nobody is even doing that creating endless straw man arguments - and this from another new member.

This must be account 1.265 billion or around there

Old 07-31-2023, 07:42 AM

179 posts, read 271,838 times
I was in Medellín just last month for six nights. At night, all of El Poblado walking west to my accommodation in the Santa Fe neighborhood (by the zoo)-a pretty big chunk of land-felt fine. There were a few homeless people along Avenida Guayabal, but the locals said that the neighborhood was a safe, residential spot. I will mention that the downtown by Plaza Botero is very grungy, even during the day. At night, it gets even rougher. There are people out of their minds approaching you, asking for money, stumbling around, dangerously crossing the road without the right of way/without looking at vehicles, etc. I personally avoided strolling there once the sun went down, as a tour guide who is Colombian does. An Uber driver told me that if you aren't being reckless, you can walk there at night. He said that the guys who fund shows in the theaters there (many shows are located in that area) pay the street people to not bother theater patrons.

Two very basic schools of thought were shared with me again and again. One, I am a fluent but not native Spanish speaker. I was told that in Colombia especially, that is a huge asset in order to deal with any situations that might arise. However, I was told that even for people without Spanish skills, they shouldn't be fearful of the frequently visited locations such as Medellín because Colombia gets many tourists/locals are used to them. Sure, you might fall victim to crime, but you might be victimized in New York, London, or Sydney, too. Two, I was often told that the best course of action for visitors is to walk confidently at all times. That's pretty obvious to me, but some people may need that reminder or that push.

I had also read and even once heard that crime against tourists in Medellín is up this year, but I don't think I've seen anything based in statistics. Ultimately, I traveled to multiple places in Colombia for over a month with no crime issues affecting me.

I hope that you have a great trip if you decide to go.

Old 02-11-2024, 03:41 PM

6 posts, read 2,720 times
Default 6 weeks in November 2023

I was there for 6 weeks in November 2023 but hung around Laureles 90% of the time. Didn't experience any kind of danger, even during the serious rivalries soccer games. It got rowdy but not unsafe.

Old 02-11-2024, 10:03 PM

1,215 posts, read 488,905 times
Sadly Medellin has become a destination for sex tourist, both straight and gay. Hipsters also flock there to snort cocaine. I hope the government takes steps to crack down on this.

Last edited by Luisito80; 02-11-2024 at 11:31 PM..

Old 02-12-2024, 08:05 AM

6 posts, read 2,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito80 View Post
Sadly Medellin has become a destination for sex tourist, both straight and gay. Hipsters also flock there to snort cocaine. I hope the government takes steps to crack down on this.
hahaha, What?! I spent 6 weeks living there and saw nothing to this effect. I am sure there are some people like that, but that's not the vibe there.

Old 02-12-2024, 08:32 AM

1,215 posts, read 488,905 times
Medellin is the number one destination for "passport bros"

Old 02-12-2024, 03:34 PM

3,700 posts, read 4,844,822 times
I absolutely hate cities but like Medellin. I think it's because you still have a rural vibe with the Colombian vaquero culture alive and well so close to the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World