Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
East Asia 9 37.50%
Eastern US 15 62.50%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:42 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikegirlscoolioh View Post
Most people who watch TV news or read newspapers in East Asia regard the whole of US as a dangerous country and full of race relation problems.
That says a lot about TV news and newspapers. The U.S. always seems to be coming apart at the seams. lol.

I think it's true that there's a little bit too much inequality in America right now. That needs to be fixed, especially for the bottom 20% of the society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 09:40 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
US all the way. East Asia sux.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:53 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,090,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
When you add the rest of the Eastern US into the equation, then it does become somewhat more even. NYC is (arguably) the most important and powerful economic center in the world. The Boston area is an international center of education and one of the leading areas for medical and biotech research - (arguably, again,) possibly the best and most influential place for this in the world. Washington DC is probably the single most important city in the world politically, as the capital of most powerful nation on earth.

East Asia would still lead in biodiversity and (IMHO) variance and depth of traditional culture. The Eastern US has more diversity in terms of international ancestry, and the representation and equality of rights of those people - as historically nonimmigrant societies, East Asian nations are generally ill-equipped to handle people of foreign origins. It is often quite difficult for a long-term resident in Korea, Japan, or China to obtain legal permanent residency and its benefits, and nigh upon impossible to obtain citizenship, even if one is married to a native of that nation. You are more or less relegated to second-class citizen status. While in the US, a foreign national who becomes a citizen enjoys virtually all the same rights as a native born American, in East Asia, these immigrants and even their native-born children are barred from holding government positions, serving in the armed forces or police, are at a huge disadvantage in any legal matters concerning the state or an ethnic native of that nation, etc.
Actually, speaking strictly legally, getting citizenship in South Korea is not that hard. The hard part is having a stable residency but that part is assumed with the "long term resident" part. For the "average" adult, discounting things like marriage, I believe the requirements is at least 5 years of permanent residency, proof of being able to provide for yourself or being dependent on family who can, fluency in Korean (that is the only language almost anyone speak fluently so it would make sense), no criminal record, and a limited knowledge of local customs. I believe the 5 years requirement was also relaxed in recent years for those with "skills."

Old 08-28-2015, 09:35 PM

919 posts, read 840,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
US all the way. East Asia sux.
Mainland Chinese and Taiwanese think differently in many aspects, but both groups tend to think how you think in this regard. It is interesting.

The US is one of the last countries that I want to live. If I had to, I'd choose Western US.

Don't you think Hualien is a marvelous place to live? Actually I would love to live in any city in Taiwan, well, except for Taichung

Old 08-29-2015, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Don't you think Hualien is a marvelous place to live? Actually I would love to live in any city in Taiwan, well, except for Taichung
No. The infrastructure is too poor, education and medical resources are laughably slim, Hualien is also very inconvenient and isolated, and is really vulnerable to earthquakes and typhoons - even more so than cities/counties in the western plain.
Not to mention, the amount of Chinese tourists to Hualien has destroyed a lot of its beauty. So no thanks, I'd rather stick to the fugly and depressing Taipei than move to Hualien.

Taichung is one of the better cities in Taiwan tbh, even though it's really boring(but Taiwan overall is quite boring so...). It has better weather, is less crowded than Taipei, has a lot more nice-looking neighborhoods(relatively), and is just 45 minutes away from Taipei via bullet train.

The worst of Taiwan are Taoyuan, Miaoli, and Yunlin. These counties are just pathetic - basically Hualien without the pretty coastlines lol. Miaoli can declare independence as a (bankrupt) microstate right now and no one would even care.

Quote:
Mainland Chinese and Taiwanese think differently in many aspects, but both groups tend to think how you think in this regard. It is interesting.

The US is one of the last countries that I want to live. If I had to, I'd choose Western US.
I don't think the US is that ideal either, Canada/Australia/Western Europe are a lot better imo, but compares to the toxic environment of East Asia, it's a major improvement.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:33 AM

27,565 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
I don't think the US is that ideal either, Canada/Australia/Western Europe are a lot better imo, but compares to the toxic environment of East Asia, it's a major improvement.
The U.S. and Canada are very much alike socially and culturally. Most people would hardly be able to tell the difference between Canada and the liberal areas of the U.S. It's like Canada on steroids.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:44 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,924,324 times
Quote:
When you add the rest of the Eastern US into the equation, then it does become somewhat more even. NYC is (arguably) the most important and powerful economic center in the world. The Boston area is an international center of education and one of the leading areas for medical and biotech research - (arguably, again,) possibly the best and most influential place for this in the world. Washington DC is probably the single most important city in the world politically, as the capital of most powerful nation on earth.
And on top of that, the Southeast does indeed have some juggernauts; it has Houston, with the strong Energy industry, Atlanta, which has the major brands of Coke and CNN, Miami, an important tourist destination, and arguably DFW, another economic juggernaut. Washington DC is actually within the Southeastern US, and thus the region has claim to yet another economic powerhouse.

Even some of the less powerful economic cities have decent brands; New Orleans is well known for its genteel, Creole culture, and Mardi Gras. I'm not sure about any place in East Asia that can compare to the funk and soul that oozes out of New Orleans. Also, there are touristy areas like Orlando and Myrtle Beach, and charming, historic areas like Charleston and Savannah.

Quote:
East Asia would still lead in biodiversity and (IMHO) variance and depth of traditional culture. The Eastern US has more diversity in terms of international ancestry, and the representation and equality of rights of those people - as historically nonimmigrant societies, East Asian nations are generally ill-equipped to handle people of foreign origins. It is often quite difficult for a long-term resident in Korea, Japan, or China to obtain legal permanent residency and its benefits, and nigh upon impossible to obtain citizenship, even if one is married to a native of that nation. You are more or less relegated to second-class citizen status. While in the US, a foreign national who becomes a citizen enjoys virtually all the same rights as a native born American, in East Asia, these immigrants and even their native-born children are barred from holding government positions, serving in the armed forces or police, are at a huge disadvantage in any legal matters concerning the state or an ethnic native of that nation, etc.
The Eastern US is pretty bio-diverse in and of itself; you can see bamboo forest, subtropical jungles, deciduous forests, etc analogous to those of East Asia. The western portions of the Eastern US contain wide open prairie vistas, badlands, and even some areas of desert (in parts of Texas). In South Florida, you have legit tropical rain-forest, just like what you see in the Carribean and Central/South America. The only problem with the Eastern US is the lack of topographical variation that can create the dynamic mix combo of landscapes East Asia has. But, the diversity is still there.

For traditional culture, Asia wins, although the Eastern US can still compete, as some of the Native American tribes/cultures are still intact.

American definitely has the edge in integration of foreign cultures into the demographic.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:19 AM

919 posts, read 840,225 times
Quote:
No. The infrastructure is too poor, education and medical resources are laughably slim, Hualien is also very inconvenient and isolated, and is really vulnerable to earthquakes and typhoons - even more so than cities/counties in the western plain.
I've heard the medical care in the US is terrible.

In Taiwan, I could see doctors whenever I wanted as long as I could wait for half an hour or so.

Hulien is beautiful. I prefer Hualien to Taipei which is too humid, and extremely hot in summer and COLD IN WINTER. While I had lived in Taipei for a decade, I couldn't used to the climate.

Quote:
Not to mention, the amount of Chinese tourists to Hualien has destroyed a lot of its beauty. So no thanks, I'd rather stick to the fugly and depressing Taipei than move to Hualien.
Awww.... I've heard about that. They actually do the same all over the world

Old 08-31-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I've heard the medical care in the US is terrible.
Obviously the US sucks in many aspects(healthcare, police brutality, gun violence etc.) but overall it's still better than East Asia imo.

Quote:
Awww.... I've heard about that. They actually do the same all over the world
Yeah pretty much. I wish we would apply stricter limits on the number of Chinese tourists and charge them a whole lot more so that they'd stop coming.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:15 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Obviously the US sucks in many aspects(healthcare, police brutality, gun violence etc.) but overall it's still better than East Asia imo.

Yeah pretty much. I wish we would apply stricter limits on the number of Chinese tourists and charge them a whole lot more so that they'd stop coming.

None of those issues have ever affected me directly. The only complaint I have about healthcare is that my insurance premiums are high, the last time I interacted with the police was perhaps 4 years ago the bulb to one of my tail lights was out he gave me a warning, no issues at all with gun violence I don't buy or sell illegal substances and don't associate with criminals. The chances of being shot by a crazy random person is so minimal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World