Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which group of countries would you rather live and travel in?
Low Income + Low Homicide Rate 9 75.00%
High Income + High Homicide Rate 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:53 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times

Advertisements

They say Homicide Rate is underreported in African countries, these countries must be really dangerous...

30-40 per 100.000 pop.:
Lesotho, Swaziland, South Africa

20-30 per 100.000 pop.:
DR Congo, Rwanda, Nigeria

15-20 per 100.000 pop.:
Equatorial Guinea, Botswana, Namibia

10-15 per 100.000 pop.:
South Sudan, Ivory Coast, Tanzania, Congo, Mozambique, Ethiopia, Central African Republic, Sudan, Madagascar, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Cape Verde, Togo, Gambia, Djibouti, Comoros, Angola
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 11:38 PM

448 posts, read 592,191 times
I wonder what fuels homicides in Africa?? I doubt they have gangs but then again i have no idea.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:04 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
I am skeptical of the African countries' figures, Sierra Leone and Liberia in particular seem very suspicious to me. I can believe Malawi, seems like an innocuous enough country

Personally I would take low income and low homicide, some of those Asian countries are very nice

Old 06-20-2017, 07:09 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
They say Homicide Rate is underreported in African countries, these countries must be really dangerous...

30-40 per 100.000 pop.:
Lesotho, Swaziland, South Africa

20-30 per 100.000 pop.:
DR Congo, Rwanda, Nigeria

15-20 per 100.000 pop.:
Equatorial Guinea, Botswana, Namibia

10-15 per 100.000 pop.:
South Sudan, Ivory Coast, Tanzania, Congo, Mozambique, Ethiopia, Central African Republic, Sudan, Madagascar, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Cape Verde, Togo, Gambia, Djibouti, Comoros, Angola
Some websites I've read suggested that Ivory Coast's homicide rate was even above 50 per 100k people. I think it is undeniable that many African countries fudge, or just underreport their homicide rates. Botswana is considered one of the most progressive and peaceful African countries yet you could see that it's rate is quite high, I would assume the safer African countries would be close to Botswana too

I've also read stories that in some African countries you literally cant leave your house without being accompanied by bodyguards, that seems like some Venezuela/El Salvador type violence right there

Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Only Southern Africa (Namibia, Botswana and South Africa) and maybe Ghana keep good homicide statistics. Gang on gang violence in Africa as well as rural or killing of the poor will not get counted as a stat. Botswana, Ghana or Namibia are probably the safest sub-Saharan African countries on the continent. Nigeria's is estimated but the rest of the African nations murder rates are much higher. I will say from traveling in West Africa generally in terms of safety.

Ghana- Is working hard on safety and is probably in the 0-10 murder range. Need to collect statistics though.
Botswana- you have heard right, really developing well.
Namibia- Windhoek slums are carrying the murder rate, otherwise very safe country.
Benin Republic- 20-30 probably slightly more dangerous than Botswana and Namibia .
Togo- same as Benin Republic.

Nigeria- Really depends on the state.

South Africa- Around Nigerias level of Safety. Certain states are safer than others.

Ivory Coast- Very high murder rate.

D.R Congo- If the state were counted likely would be the most dangerous country in the world.

Old 06-21-2017, 11:23 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,101,635 times
Isn't Congo Kinshasa still basically at war? Where does gang war end and militia violence begin? No matter what the official murder rate is, one should already know its an extremely dangerous place (most deaths in war since World War 2)

Old 06-22-2017, 01:32 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
In this thread...

High Income = Above $16.000 GDP (PPP) per capita
Low Income = Below $8.000 GDP (PPP) per capita

High Homicide Rate = Above 8.0 per 100k population
Low Homicide Rate = Below 4.0 per 100k population

-------------------------------------------------------------

Low Income + Low Homicide Rate:
Senegal
Sierra Leone
Liberia
Sao Tome & Principe
Malawi
Uzbekistan
Tajikistan
India
Nepal
Bangladesh
Vietnam
Timor-Leste
Nauru
Vanuatu
Samoa

High Income + High Homicide Rate:
Greenland
Bahamas
Mexico
Panama
Venezuela
Puerto Rico
Saint Kitts & Nevis
Antigua & Barbuda
Trinidad & Tobago
Guiana
Equatorial Guinea
Gabon
Botswana
Seychelles
Russia
Mexico, Panama, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts, Antigua, Trinidad, Guiana, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, Botswana and Russia haven't got high incomes. They're all inflated by some factors, factors which are at the hand of the elite of those countries, factors which the normal people can't even touch. Most of those from the list are inflated by oil or gas, and other minerals. Mostly oil, btw.

Equatorial Guinea has a GDP per capita above New Zealand, Spain, Italy, South Korea or Israel. Now compare them with E. Guinea in... anything you want. Search Equatorial Guinea or Malabo in Google Images, see how that country looks, see which kind of roads or hospitals they have outside from their capital. Even in their capital a big chunk of the city doesn't have any difference with Central Africa.

And this is the capital from a country which in papers is richer than New Zealand, Spain or Italy. XD

Old 06-22-2017, 01:42 AM

3,326 posts, read 2,619,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I am skeptical of the African countries' figures, Sierra Leone and Liberia in particular seem very suspicious to me. I can believe Malawi, seems like an innocuous enough country

Personally I would take low income and low homicide, some of those Asian countries are very nice
South Africa has some extremely beautiful zones which I would want to visit in the next years, they can be as safe as possible and they look extremely similar to California or Western Europe. It's funny because South Africa which has cities like Cape Town or Pretoria has less than half GDP per capita PPP than Equatorial Guinea and SA is the only one which has cities looking as in any 1st world country.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:12 AM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Nigeria also has a.l capital that looks like a first world country inside the FCT which is the capital territory, the suburbs outside of the FCT look pretty third world. Accra, Ghana has beautiful areas, they just need to clean up the trash along the beaches and in different areas, Benin Republic and Togo also have some first world looking parts of their capitals. Abuja definitely has the nicest looking Capital and in FCT is probably as safe as your average, American city, and over 600,000 people live in that part of Abuja.
Villagio, Accra- is some of the coolest buildings to see in real life.
Eastern Lagos also has a million people mostly living in very nice and expensive neighborhoods.
Lekki- Upper Middle Class
Victoria Island-CBD
Ikoyi- Old Money
Banana Island- New Money
They also plan an airport and when Eko Atlantic City is complete, Eastern Lagos will have 2 million mostly middle class and wealthy not people, and will start to feel very firstworld as long as you don't go to the Western half called Mainland Lagos, Lagos will also be weslthier than any country in Africa except for Nigeria(it isn't impossible to pass that country up since it isn't located inside it). It is currently comparable to the fifth wealthiest country in Africa, and it only has 20 million people. It's GDP is estimated at somewhere around 120 billion dollars, and growing rapidly.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:44 AM

827 posts, read 865,676 times
If you stay away from gangs and drug dealers the homicide rate probably won't affect you so much. Countries with high homicide rate still can have a lot of safe areas. My country's homicide rate is higher than 25 per 100k, but it's not like we're almost in a civil war and innocent people are getting murdered everyday while walking to the supermarket (i'm not saying this never happens, but it's rare, no need to panic).

Most of the homicides usually happens in specific problematic areas of the cities, and the people murderd generally were involved with some bad things. Good and innocent people can be victims of homicides too, unfortunately, especially if they're in the wrong place in the wrong time, but with some basic precautions the chances of being murderd drop to low levels.

So i prefer to live in a high-income country, even if it has a high homicide rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World