Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2015, 05:59 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,291,536 times

Advertisements

Fusion your post is a very accurate portrayal of everyday Canadian life. Sounds similar to life in many different nations around the globe.

Personally I find these comparisons and attacks on U.S. Culture and policy tend to be more directed towards former Canadian residents who are returning to Canada rather than a topic of conversation between Canadians themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 06:14 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Fusion your post is a very accurate portrayal of everyday Canadian life. Sounds similar to life in many different nations around the globe.

Personally I find these comparisons and attacks on U.S. Culture and policy tend to be more directed towards former Canadian residents who are returning to Canada rather than a topic of conversation between Canadians themselves.
Actually I think when Canadians do say misinformed things about the U.S its because of what we see on network TV and I think you nailed it down to more a case of ignorance than some sort of rooted inferiority complex. Adding to that, Canadians who do jump on this attacking of U.S culture, policy or just society in general, it could be out of a fear of our society adopting some of these exaggerated problems which by and large are largely overblown to begin with.

This isn't a Canada problem - I've read a plethora of ignorant posts from many people in these forums about the U.S and it comes from the same place, not understanding the U.S except through the narrow lens of network TV or U.S pop culture. There's one guy in here from Europe who concludes that all of Detroit is a total ghetto yet if he actually visited the entire metro he'd quickly realize most live as affluently as pretty much any place in the 1st world.

With all that said, in day to day life I will stand by what I said that by and large I will converse more about other cultures and nations simply because most of my friends and coworkers are from countries other than the U.S.. I have one American friend who works with me and most of our conversations have always revolved around family and home life as opposed to political or social comparisons between the U.S and Canada. The only time we really even talked about the U.S is when she tells me she's going home to visit family in Manchester N.H.

www.royaljasmine.ca

yum - the crispy beef is to die for!

Old 08-28-2015, 06:34 PM

3,866 posts, read 5,291,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Actually I think when Canadians do say misinformed things about the U.S its because of what we see on network TV and I think you nailed it down to more a case of ignorance than some sort of rooted inferiority complex. Adding to that, Canadians who do jump on this attacking of U.S culture, policy or just society in general, it could be out of a fear of our society adopting some of these exaggerated problems which by and large are largely overblown to begin with.

This isn't a Canada problem - I've read a plethora of ignorant posts from many people in these forums about the U.S and it comes from the same place, not understanding the U.S except through the narrow lens of network TV or U.S pop culture. There's one guy in here from Europe who concludes that all of Detroit is a total ghetto yet if he actually visited the entire metro he'd quickly realize most live as affluently as pretty much any place in the 1st world.

With all that said, in day to day life I will stand by what I said that by and large I will converse more about other cultures and nations simply because most of my friends and coworkers are from countries other than the U.S.. I have one American friend who works with me and most of our conversations have always revolved around family and home life as opposed to political or social comparisons between the U.S and Canada. The only time we really even talked about the U.S is when she tells me she's going home to visit family in Manchester N.H.

www.royaljasmine.ca

yum - the crispy beef is to die for!

Don't mention that troll again, he's like Beetlejuice, if you say his name three times he reappears!

Anyways I agree with you. But as one of those folks that has the bear the brunt of this criticism it gets old real fast real quick. Those conversations would be a lot more enjoyable if people actually wanted to learn rather than hear themselves talk. I will also say I've moved to other countries around the world, including middle eastern nations and I have never had to serve as some American policy representative (how did the immigrant kid get that job anyways??) in anywhere else than Canada. So it's a little too common for my liking.

Anyways, I do love me some crispy beef, thanks for the rec. try to get to Chung King in markham, that's my personal favourite in the city.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:42 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,864,662 times
Quote:
You read into this stuff way too much.. I've said it before and will say again - perhaps a visit to and getting to know English Canadians more is in order otherwise it will be hard for you to get any English Canadian relating to what you say about them because they just go - huh... You seem to base your conclusions on limited information.

I know this sounds pretty dull and boring but most English Canadians do what pretty much everyone else does in the world.. Get up out of bed when the alarm goes off, goes to work or school, comes home makes dinner and watches TV.. Perhaps help the kids with homework.. Weekends spent doing chores like laundry, house cleaning and maybe catching a show or going to a bar/club etc.. Its rare in day to day life that the topic of the U.S comes up in our discussions with one another. On an internet forum with a small niche group of people, nations, cities etc come up quite a bit more than in real life.

In my day to day, if I do talk about other nations, i'm more inclined to talk about Portugal and 'the islands - Azores' (I work with a ton of Portuguese) than I am about the U.S.. The truth is, I don't really work with a lot of Americans or even have a lot of American friends in Canada because there aren't many here, there are far more people from other cultures where I live - I honestly have more Jamaican and Sri Lankan friends than American..

I'm not saying the U.S isn't mentioned at all and if we are to say compare ourselves to another nation at least socially, economically or culturally it would be the U.S simply because you are our neighbour and there are similarities, but aside from that its not collectively on our minds nearly as much as you think.. You can try to rationalize it with a Man A, Man B or us 'subconsciously' tying back hundreds of years to the Loyalists as examples if you must, but your rationale just in not coming across as something that is rooted in real experience.
You remember that I lived in both Canada and America, and regularly visit Canada right? I don't need an overview of Canadian daily life à la Fusion2. I've befriended your men, hooked up with your women, experienced your government and indulged in your culture about as much as anyone can reasonably ask. I'm not a guy somewhere in Wyoming who is basing his assertions on an article he read about Canada last night. You suggest that I "visit" Canada - I've done more than just visit the place. I'll digress.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:15 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
You read into this stuff way too much.. I've said it before and will say again - perhaps a visit to and getting to know English Canadians more is in order otherwise it will be hard for you to get any English Canadian relating to what you say about them because they just go - huh... You seem to base your conclusions on limited information.
Well, hobbes lived in Montreal for a number of years. There are a couple of hundred thousand ''English Canadians'' living in the city and in the city's anglophone university milieu he was in there are plenty of anglos from the rest of the country who studied with him there as well.

Old 08-29-2015, 01:12 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Idk why but i never noticed how much you guys emphasize "English Canadians" lol

Old 08-29-2015, 02:52 AM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Well, when we're talking about identifiable ethnic groups and cultures, of course we're going to say English Canadians, English Canadians have a distinct culture from French Canadians, so just saying Canadians would be silly and vague, or worse, depending on the situation it may imply that English Canadians are the default and sole legitimate Canadians, which would be a bit chauvinistic or ethnocentric. Doing so is probably more common for English Canadians from areas very far removed from contact with French Canadians.

Certainly, I consider myself a Canadian. I do think that means something, that we have shared institutions, that our cultures have been shaped by the same or similar circumstance and historical experiences etc. To talk about Canadians in a political, economic, institutional or even culture in very broad strokes sounds perfectly natural to me. But anything at a finer grain, or a more intimate scale, sounds silly and wrong to me without qualifiers like English.

Last edited by BIMBAM; 08-29-2015 at 03:03 AM..

Old 08-29-2015, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
What BIMBAM said. For certain things you can more easily talk about ''all Canadians'' and it does make sense, like gun control, social programs, etc. For others, not so much.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:47 AM

Quote:
I will also say I've moved to other countries around the world, including middle eastern nations and I have never had to serve as some American policy representative (how did the immigrant kid get that job anyways??) in anywhere else than Canada. So it's a little too common for my liking.
That's interesting. When some people in other anglo parts of Canada (like Ontario) learn I am originally from there but that I live in Quebec now, I am frequently quizzed about ''why?'' (you had no choice because of your job?) and when I say it was my choice I often feel like I have to prove to them that Quebec is some perfect place (in order to justify my choice I guess). It's as if as you say I become the automatic policy representative for, say, the separatist Parti Québécois, even though I don't even support them.

Old 08-29-2015, 09:06 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
You remember that I lived in both Canada and America, and regularly visit Canada right? I don't need an overview of Canadian daily life à la Fusion2. I've befriended your men, hooked up with your women, experienced your government and indulged in your culture about as much as anyone can reasonably ask. I'm not a guy somewhere in Wyoming who is basing his assertions on an article he read about Canada last night. You suggest that I "visit" Canada - I've done more than just visit the place. I'll digress.
Well you have been to 'Canada' but how many places.. Like the U.S, Canada is a massive country.. It seems like your experiences are rather limited outside of Quebec. If you aren't interested in my experiences or perspective as a Torontonian, than by all means you can dismiss them.

What is this I've befriended your men, hooked up with your women bit lol.. There are two other Canadian posters in here from Quebec with separate accounts who have said practically the same sort of thing in the Canada forums.. Just odd you'd say that in such similar ways.. Anyway, if you've spent a lot of time in Toronto, Halifax, Calgary, Vancouver than I apologize for assuming you haven't experienced English Canada. Those would certainly be a great cross section of cities to explore to get a better feel for the views of the various English Canadians in the country. I think you'll be disappointed by and large in that your conclusions will be vastly overstated and overblown.

Quote:
Don't mention that troll again, he's like Beetlejuice, if you say his name three times he reappears!

Anyways I agree with you. But as one of those folks that has the bear the brunt of this criticism it gets old real fast real quick. Those conversations would be a lot more enjoyable if people actually wanted to learn rather than hear themselves talk. I will also say I've moved to other countries around the world, including middle eastern nations and I have never had to serve as some American policy representative (how did the immigrant kid get that job anyways??) in anywhere else than Canada. So it's a little too common for my liking.

Anyways, I do love me some crispy beef, thanks for the rec. try to get to Chung King in markham, that's my personal favourite in the city.
Just one thing about the American girl from my work - before I moved to my current job I actually worked on a team with her for over a year.. We all knew she was American but not once did the topic come up other than matter of fact conversations like when she was going back home or some conversations related to what people in Manchester do for fun, the conversations were never at all negative and she never felt uncomfortable.. This was in her presence, when she wasn't around, we didn't talk about these things at all.. We just didn't have these social/political conversations and i'm not saying this with an agenda - i'm being as honest as possible. I'm actually going to bring these things up to get her perspective on Canadians.. I'll ask her to be honest about it, i'm curious now.

As for serving as an American policy representative.. Its odd that these topics of policies come up so often.. Ed, you are having a conversation with family and friends in Canada no? Why are you guys talking so much about politics and social issues anyway lol.. As I said, with the American girl at work, or even with my friend from Chicago or Aunt who lives in Reno and has for decades, whenever I see them be it either I visit them or they visit me, we never really have politically charged conversations and we never would assume we 'represent' a nation - that is beyond silly imo..

I will try that restaurant in Markham as long as its not too expensive lol.. Royal Jasmine is cheap and close to my work but thanks for the recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Well, hobbes lived in Montreal for a number of years. There are a couple of hundred thousand ''English Canadians'' living in the city and in the city's anglophone university milieu he was in there are plenty of anglos from the rest of the country who studied with him there as well.
Sure but it would be like me saying well I work with francophone Canadians and have francophone Canadian friends in Toronto so therefore I know francophone culture.. I don't think its representative of experience on the ground in other places - otherwise what i'm talking about is limited and rather inconclusive..

You've read many of my posts in here AJ.. I think you know if I was being disingenuous or not about my observations regarding America with fellow Torontonians in every day life.. Lets put Hobbes aside - just AJ and Fusion.. Is it really surprising AJ that a guy living in Toronto would be friends with and talk more about cultures in the world other than the U.S and a whole lot more often?.. Why would I lie about something like this? The truth is most of us simply don't spend a whole lot of time or energy on the U.S in our day to day discourse. I'm sorry to disappoint anyone but it is the truth. I'm sure our Politicians and perhaps the media is more concerned but average joe Canadian and as i'm Torontonian, average Joe Torontonian i'm sorry, I simply talk way more about other peoples, cultures and countries than the U.S because I am surrounded and interact with many many more of them all the time.

Last edited by fusion2; 08-29-2015 at 09:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World