Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 05:50 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
spanish -- but first thing you should learn to say is
no quiero prestado de dinero por esquela (i dont want a student loan)
----------------
No quiero prestado de dinero por esquela ------(Translation: I don't want a loan for my death notice)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 08:13 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,554,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
----------------
No quiero prestado de dinero por esquela ------(Translation: I don't want a loan for my death notice)...
Perhaps he meant "escuela" ("school") rather than "esquela" ("obituary").

Old 12-20-2011, 09:30 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,061,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailarina View Post
You have a completely stereotyped image of Latin America; economically is one of the fastest growing regions in the world, obviously, the standard of living is lower, for society as a whole, but while Europe and America are stagnant, they are growing. And who knows where they will be in the future. One thing is the social development and another thing is corporate power; companies in these countries don´t have to understand the word "democracy to grow and have influence in the rest of the world (see China). On the other hand, i see a lot of prejudice in your comments, l.american societies have problems but it seems that you're talking just about Mexico and believe that the entire region is the same. I know many people who are emigrating to Argentina, Uruguay, Chile, Brasil...because while we are in crisis, they have great demand for professionals, for the economic growth.
This is the attitude of a few Americans, especially from the Midwest and parts of Texas Not all, just a few. Anything related to the Latin culture is inferior including Spanish and cilantro.

Old 12-20-2011, 11:54 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,257,464 times
I wish there was more logic in my head..... I think Finnish is only language which make sense

Old 12-20-2011, 12:43 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Spoke Russian as a child up until I started school here in Canada...It's a pleasant sounding language. My dad who never got rid of his thick Russian accent did not like English that much because on word in English could mean two or three different things...Most of all he did not like the British based mindset contained in the English language...He complained that people said "I am sorry" a bit to much...Pops would say ..."If they were truely regretful and sorry they would have not committed the offensive act' ----The idea might have it's roots in oppressive British colonialism - where you could oppress and abuse your lessors and simply smooth it over with a simple "I am sorry" - then go on to repeat the offense and clean up the mess with another "Im sorry" - eg...They fire you from you job for no good reason and send you on your way with "I'm sorry" - Nope dad did not see the over use of apology in old Russian culture...Currently my son is dating a Spanish girl...he is picking up the langage very quickly....BUT - nothing more distracting and mystifying than an angry Spanish woman speeking a million miles an hour....oh well..
Funny. many years ago I dated a Russian girl and we went to Russia a number of times. On one trip she said to me, "stop saying 'sorry' so much, we just don't say that and it sounds odd."

Old 12-21-2011, 01:46 AM

3,635 posts, read 10,748,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisfate View Post
The most logical easiest language to learn is definitely Chinese, but most of u just focus on pronunciation. I mean every language has different pronunciation anyway, so the logical part is about the grammar.

For instance, in English, the word pronoun and pronunciation< why this one has to take the o out? Why can't it spell like pronounciation, to confuse ppl? Different tense, expressions have differnent spellings just to confuse people, even native speakers make mistake. You dont know when to put s behind a word to make it plural or singular, sometimes the word may be a collective noun or irregular like information, furniture. Somtime, u don't put s, but spell differently like ox > oxen.

In Chinese, you don't change the writing of the kanji or use a totally different kanji to express in different tenses or situation, you just simply add one more kanji to make it a past tense or present tense etc.. Another thing is, in Chinese you would say I eat yesterday, since yesterday already indicate it is past tense, why would u have to change the whole spelling of the verb? Imagine each words has different spelling and not just put ed behind. If u want to just say I am eating or I ate in Chinese, you do not have to change the whole verb or the writing of kanji, you just simple add another kanji; similar to add "ed" behind most English words.

As for Spanish, the tenses are much more confusing. After you learn all the -ar, - er, -ir ending. You also have to learn different spellings for each words to indicate who's doing the action or in different tenses.
For example, just -ar ending word "to eat" hablar

present tense past tense present progressive more etc...
habl(e)
Hablo hablaste
Hablas habl(o)
Habla hablamos
hablamos hablasteis
habl(a)is hablaron
Hablan

And there are "MANY" irregular words and each irr words has different spelling in diff tense or situations. For example, in present tense there words that u need to change Z > C, E > UE, E > IE etc... but in past tense u don't have to, as for present progressive is another spelling chart for you. There are many I, you, he, she, they. Ser/estar

Imagine, after you have learned 100 Chinese Characters, but each words write/pronouns differently in diff situations (tenses, plural, singular, gender, etc...) .

You don't have the key for the drawer and now your boss ask," You don't have the key?" How would u answer that question? The most logical way would be "Yes, I don't have the key" or would u deny the question and say "No I don't have the key" ? Which sound more logical to you?
Spanish isn't confusing at all. I think it's a very logical and planned-out language. English has far more exceptions. Most of the exceptions in Spanish are just spelling changes that reflect pronunciation. You don't even have to learn all of the exceptions because after awhile you'll know the pattern and you'll be able to conjugate any irregular verb correctly, even if you've never seen it before.

I personally think Chinese, Arabic, and Spanish are the most useful. If you want to learn a language fast and perfect it, go with Spanish. Chinese & Arabic will take some time. And the way I look at it is "By the time I learn Chinese, everyone in China will have already learned English, so there's no point" That's just how I see it...

I also think Portuguese will be useful because Brazil is up and coming. If you learn Spanish first, then Portuguese will be easier. I've been learning it and it's a lot more difficult than Spanish. Not as logical, but it's not too bad. The worst part is that I get my Spanish mixed up now.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 PM

940 posts, read 1,936,070 times
Another career where speaking Russian will be handy - astronauts will not be allowed to go into space by NASA, unless they pass Russian!

It is true that the Slavic languages are very similar, and once you know one it is easy to learn another. When I went to Poland, after three days I started to understand Polish, even though I never learned it before, but just spoke Russian.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:02 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwell View Post
I'm about to start college and I was just wanting some input on which foreign language would be the most useful to learn If I plan on trying to get an M.A in Economics concentrating on global business. Would Spanish be the best bet because it has the most countries speaking it, or Chinese because it will probably have the most thriving economy by the time I'm done with school. Or would anyone else have a different recommendation? Thanks.
It depends on the country you live in.

If you live in the USA, Mandarin Chinese seems like the most useful language to learn if you get an M.A in Economics concentrating on Global business.

Also French is another great option. French is an official language in just as many countries as Spanish.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:07 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Funny. many years ago I dated a Russian girl and we went to Russia a number of times. On one trip she said to me, "stop saying 'sorry' so much, we just don't say that and it sounds odd."
They do have a term for the granting of forgiveness - usually directed towards God - or the begging for mercy - which was usually directed towards the firing squad during the Soviet era...as for sorry - no body is really sorry unless they get caught doing something really offensive and shifity - just by saying "sorry" North Americans think all is well after that - Much like a Catholic confession --- Confessor: "Father I have sinned I wacked Viney for not paying the loan"

Priest" "My son your sins are forgiven - just don't wack Viney again"...

Russian Orthodox Christian priests in the alternative are not about constant forgiveness - you do something horrific they they will look at you with lazer eyes and they do not need to speak - If they did speak it would sound like this - "Do that again and I will petition God to kill you - do you understand?"

Old 12-22-2011, 10:30 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
This is the attitude of a few Americans, especially from the Midwest and parts of Texas Not all, just a few. Anything related to the Latin culture is inferior including Spanish and cilantro.
My youngest son just married a young girl from Chile...thank God is was not some westernized twit..who would bring him torment and disrespect for the rest of his life - glory to Spain - and the old ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World