U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 11:16 AM

8,975 posts, read 9,314,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
What do you believe ? That Europe is open to everyone for free ? of course there are controls. Everytime I go back to France by train through the Alps I see police checking people on the train, even if within Europe this is hardly legal. Most of the time I see the border police arresting someone who is trying to get into France. Last time I saw them arresting some (what I believe to be) erithreans. These brave patrollers all had "Je suis Charlie" badges and yet were mocking these poor Erithreans. I know they are doing their job, this is fine for me, but at least treat people with dignity.

Right now in Ventimiglia, on the coast between Genova and Monaco, there are migrants camping stopped by the border patrol. They've been there for months.

Here in Bologna there are several places that host refugees / migrants, and once they step out they are illegals. What is happening now is that most of the people who work there are young Italian people who want to bring help to people fleeing from war situations, and most of these workers are underpaid students who see their contracts renewed weekly, and have very little power to do anything interesting and are themselves in a very precarious situation.

In Italy there are thousands of people arriving every week because it's the entrance door to Europe. The reality is that most people do not want to face the reality, many others actually exploit these migrants (I am thinking of the case of the city of Rosarno in Calabria where Africans were picking tomatoes for 2 euros per hour, sleeping direct on the camp)

There are constantly boats in southern Italy trying to rescue these people, and then to put them in camps where their identities are checked.

Also, once someone has its fingerprints taken, he can not legally live in another country of the EU, which is an absurd situation.
I'm not talking about Italy and France. I'm talking about people pushing their way through Serbia, Macedonia and Hungary. And they are. They aren't doing what the authorities are telling them to do and Germany is encouraging that behavior. Where are they being held accountable?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Status: "There are better things ahead than behind. CS Lewis" (set 28 days ago)

65,101 posts, read 54,660,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFP View Post
Oh, it's unbiased somewhere else?

The reason I ask is because many countries in the world have interests in the Middle East and continue to interject themselves and their interests into that region. It's not just the US with something to lose or gain when it comes to the happenings in the ME. Far from it.

Nobody is interested in Syria, Jordania and Lebanon, those are poor, old and very cultured countries that should be receiving millions of tourists. But unfortunately, they have a neighbour that have brought them havoc during the last 80 years.

That's why "people are interested in them".

A neighbour with an excessive weight on American media.
Right - because there's been no other major upheavals caused by any other countries with influence and interests in the Middle East in the past sixty years or so, with far reaching effects that span decades - said no intelligent person ever.

You can't isolate cause and effect in that region. You can't pinpoint the issues to events in the past five, ten, twenty or even eighty years. You can't pin the tail on any one donkey in the three ring circus that is the Middle East.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:49 PM

7,433 posts, read 5,567,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
I'm not talking about Italy and France. I'm talking about people pushing their way through Serbia, Macedonia and Hungary. And they are. They aren't doing what the authorities are telling them to do and Germany is encouraging that behavior. Where are they being held accountable?
This is another proof that migrants are a "hot potatoe" that many countries do not want to keep, and I believe some east european countries' governments are too happy to remind the wealthy west that they are the ones who should deal with that because they are wealthy, right ?

This goes to show that there is serious need for european countries to work hand in hand in such a situation to minimize social and financial costs and to shortcircuit people who make money off migrants'traffic.

Also, Serbia and Macedonia are not part of the Union... Hungary is, but the government is extreme right, not much in favour of migrants.

If migrants were divided all over Europe, that would not be such a bad situation, really. If everyone heads to Germany it's obviously going to be more complicated. Even if Germany is probably in dire need of new blood given the decline of its population.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:41 PM

7,459 posts, read 10,329,248 times
Aging population in advanced countries will be a big problem in the future. More working people are needed to keep the system going. It cost less to take in adults that can be put to work right away than having babies and raising them for 18 years. But with automation regularly replacing human workers, what will all the new comers do?

Old 09-08-2015, 02:04 PM

1,707 posts, read 1,714,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Aging population in advanced countries will be a big problem in the future. More working people are needed to keep the system going. It cost less to take in adults that can be put to work right away than having babies and raising them for 18 years. But with automation regularly replacing human workers, what will all the new comers do?
Yes, exactly what will the new comers do when technology advances and automation plays an even bigger role? 1 in 5 Syrian is illiterate, among women 1 in 4, those people will only be able to do menial jobs if any at all, because why even bother. The menial jobs, basic jobs will be the first ones to be replaced by technology and what will the migrants, who have bothered to work in the first place, do then? Producing more and more people to keep the economy, pension system going isn't a viable option in the long run. Continuing this path, there will be a moment for example when the UK politicians say, to keep the system working Britain needs 50 mil people in the next 50-80 years, adding the population close to 300 mil.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:06 PM

8,975 posts, read 9,314,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Exactly. I don't understand why Americans are so concerned about Europe and taking in refugees. It's not their problem. They probably are really bored and have nothing to do.
Also, you do realize this is an American forum with the majority of the members from the United States? I wouldn't join a European forum and then complain when Europeans discuss issues, even when those issues don't pertain directly to Europe. Unless I REALLY had nothing to do. This topic is dominating headlines in American news outlets and has been for days so of course people will be talking about it. European and American foreign policies are not mutually exclusive and to the extent the Europe's actions influence America's actions, absolutely it is America's issue as well.

Old 02-23-2016, 03:29 AM

729 posts, read 400,894 times
Absolutely.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:52 PM
FBF

606 posts, read 865,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
In the case of Europe, the immigrants are from a culture that wants to destroy the West while in the USA, the Hispanic immigrants want to tap into the benefits of the USA but not destroy it. We (USA) are in much better shape than Europe as far as the recent immigrants are concerned.
Assuming that the US welfare system is generous, which it is NOT!

It depends which state you live in and federal guidelines state that benefits are not given to illegals, the only exception are "refugees" but they must be federally recognized and on a temporary basis.

And pretty harsh, yes I know that there is the ISIS problem in the Middle East, but a lot of them are also trying to escape from ISIS because they disagree with the radical Islamic movement....of course, they should be put into more screening and probably cut down the numbers since it will be hard to accommodate them.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:43 PM

2,626 posts, read 1,807,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, the situation in Europe is nothing like in the U.S.

Third, most undocumented in the U.S. are hardworking Catholics of Latin American descent who came only to work (they don't even qualify for public benefits) while most undocumented in Europe are Muslims on public assistance who have no plans to work or integrate into society.

And perhaps the people from Latin America are more culturally compatible, compared to Muslims in Europe?

Old 02-25-2016, 01:23 PM

1,826 posts, read 1,542,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
And perhaps the people from Latin America are more culturally compatible, compared to Muslims in Europe?
You didn't know that already???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World