Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:42 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,434,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Strange ...
We have one child born in Germany (while working htere) and she was not able to get any German Citizenship. At least one has to be a local citizen !! We were both USA citizens !
Same thing in Switzerland.

In the USA however, no idea about all those other countries, the citizenship of the parents has nothing to do with the citizenship of the child that is born in the USA !!
Light blue indicates that the country has birthright citizenship with restrictions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 01:09 AM

861 posts, read 851,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
No, the situation in Europe is nothing like in the U.S.

First, this is a crisis of people seeking asylum. The U.S. has relatively few asylum seekers, and there isn't much controversy around their asylum.

Second, the U.S. does not get that many "illegals", at least not nowadays. Most undocumented came decades ago. Most immigration experts believe the "illegal" population has actually dropped in recent years, so the most recent net numbers are probably less than zero (ie, more undocumented are leaving than entering). It's very difficult to enter the U.S. illegally, while comparatively easy to enter Western Europe illegally.

Third, most undocumented in the U.S. are hardworking Catholics of Latin American descent who came only to work (they don't even qualify for public benefits) while most undocumented in Europe are Muslims on public assistance who have no plans to work or integrate into society.

Fourth, the U.S. is a nation of immigrants, like a Canada or an Australia. The whole point of the U.S. is to be an immigrant melting pot. Most European countries are nation-states built around a common ethnic and cultural identity, so immigration of "others" threatens the state in a manner different than in a U.S. or Canada or Australia.

To be blunt, if the U.S. were majority Hispanic or Asian 100 years ago (won't happen, but let's pretend), the U.S. identity, for better or for worse, would remain about the same. But if Germany or France are majority Muslim 100 years from now, I am 100% certain that these countries will no longer have the same identity.
Great point, but I question whether the migrants to Europe are not just economic migrants entering Europe under the guise of being Asylum Seekers?

Otherwise why wouldn't they head to neighbouring Arab countries? Religion may sadly be an issue as hispanics are largely all Catholics, which means their integration into a Judeo-Christian America would be smoother..

Last edited by nograviti; 09-01-2015 at 01:46 AM..

Old 09-01-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomer Kripton View Post
They are political refugees, and they do head to neighbouring Arab countries. Turkey is sheltering millions, so is Lebanon and elsewhere.

Religion won't be an issue (I was in Syria 5 years ago). Those people are fleeing from sectarian issues that use religion as an excuse. Are Iranians in the US a religious problem? No, because most don't like religion.

Europe does not like religious people, enough with our own crop, but I don't see those Syrians creating problems as many are professional, middle class, there are christians or different muslim denominations that are known for laicity.

Syria is governed by a dictator that belongs to the same party that Saddam Hussein, the BAAS, the BAAS is not religious at all.
I agree, that a good number of Syrians are even Assyrian Christians. But some Islamic communities in Europe have had difficulty or been slower to integrate than others. Notable examples would be the Turkish community in Germany, which I would argue in some ways still hasn't integrated despite the main bulk of them having been economic migrants under the guest worker schemes in the past.

Likewise it shouldn't be controversial to point out that Korean immigrants integrate faster and are more socio-economically successful than the aforementioned group.

Also whilst I understand you can have successful immigrants from Islamic background, you have to understand the verdict is sadly still out on whether Islam itself compatible with a modern functioning partliamentary democracy. This is notable when looking at North Africa and the Middle East. The only countries with a majority Islamic population that pass the democracy test are Indonesia/Turkey and that is not where these folks hail from.

Then there is the issue of Europe itself, as I mentioned Europe in the main has not been a region of high immigration historically. Whilst a lot of folks are outright hostile to large levels of immigration to their respective nations. The ramifications of this do need to be considered..

Also last time I checked Assad is Alawi and the ISIL take great exception to his group's intepretation of Islam.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:27 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,518,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalbek2001 View Post
To be blunt, if the U.S. were majority Hispanic or Asian 100 years ago (won't happen, but let's pretend), the U.S. identity, for better or for worse, would remain about the same. But if Germany or France are majority Muslim 100 years from now, I am 100% certain that these countries will no longer have the same identity.
Rate this post positively......

Who cares?
May be you don't.
But for example, I do.
I happen to like Europe, even though I probably wouldn't want to live there.
Human civilization ( as we know it, and although as imperfect as it is,) reached there its highest point; what came after it is already going down the hill. Including the "New World" where I currently live.
So this attempt to destroy European nations by forcefully trying to mix them with those not compatible with them, an attempt to create the concept of some "New World" in Europe, is not going to succeed.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:12 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,326,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baalbek2001 View Post
Rate this post positively......

Who cares?
I care. I don't want Germany or France to become Syria or Iraq.

Maybe you don't care, but others do. The Middle East basically sucks, and Western Europe is one of the best places on earth. So it would really be horrible if Western Europe became as backward and barbaric as the Middle East.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:26 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,812,910 times
No asylum crisis? Tell that to the elderly couple in Italy, accosted in their own home by an intruder. Oh wait...you can't. Because they're dead.

The husband's throat was slit, and the woman appears to have fallen off the balcony to her death in an effort to escape her attacker, who was found with multiple items from their home. The police arrested an asylum seeker from the Ivory Coast, and they suspect that others who accompanied him when he entered the country were accomplices.

People everywhere are learning that they're easy prey for those who enter their homelands with nefarious intentions.

Old 09-02-2015, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
No asylum crisis? Tell that to the elderly couple in Italy, accosted in their own home by an intruder. Oh wait...you can't. Because they're dead.

The husband's throat was slit, and the woman appears to have fallen off the balcony to her death in an effort to escape her attacker, who was found with multiple items from their home. The police arrested an asylum seeker from the Ivory Coast, and they suspect that others who accompanied him when he entered the country were accomplices.

People everywhere are learning that they're easy prey for those who enter their homelands with nefarious intentions.
I am not sure that this post has much to do with the original post, beyond being sensationalist.

Also Asylum Seekers do not have the monopoly on crime, in fact all data shows that immigrants are often more law abiding than the native population overall.

I dont think the flows of Islamic immigrants are currently high enough to cause massive shifts in culture.

But the question is what impact will such migration have? Particularly as I dont see this situation changing any time soon

Old 09-02-2015, 04:56 AM

185 posts, read 258,416 times
America had a tidal wave of Mexicans which has pretty much ceased in recent years... and now the new tidal wave is chinese and indians.

While Europe has a tidal wave of Africans, middle easterners, pakistanis, asians. (Europe is truly flooded with immigration)

the immigration to the US is a joke, over-exagerated by some race obsessed Americans who want everyone around them to be white!

Old 09-02-2015, 10:09 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,636 times
Default refugees from Iraq

In the Middle East, I understand that persecution of non-Muslim minorities-such as Assyrians, Yazidis,Coptic Christians etc.-has been particularly severe in recent years.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 09-02-2015 at 10:21 AM..

Old 09-02-2015, 11:35 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,972,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
In the Middle East, I understand that persecution of non-Muslim minorities-such as Assyrians, Yazidis,Coptic Christians etc.-has been particularly severe in recent years.
Yea, they're killed all the time otherwise tolerant Muslims.

Could Christianity be driven from Middle East? - BBC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World