Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 03:29 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
The USD and CAD are already at parity. The only difference now is the commission to exchange.

Why should México be left out? Sooner or later, there will be as many US retirees in Mexico as there will be Mexican laborers in the US, all demanding fewer complications when making economic transactions and crossing borders.
Why should they be left out? There can't be a common currency between 2 nations with such economic disparity-not to mention that mass immigration would make today's seem small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 05:14 AM

9,356 posts, read 14,296,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Why should they be left out? There can't be a common currency between 2 nations with such economic disparity-not to mention that mass immigration would make today's seem small.

One of the purposes of globalization is to merge everybody at a lower level of mediocre than what the "golden age" middle classes of Europe and North America had become used in the 1950s-1990s period.

Those days are over, for better and for worse. Among other things, the economic disparity between the US and Mexico in around 20 years will be analogous to, let's say, the northeast US and a state like Louisiana, or, perhaps, the British mid-lands and London, northern Italy and southern Italy, or how about between Bulgaria or Romania (one day will adopt the EUR) and France, something like that.

Yes, the middle classes of the early industrialized countries were special at one time, but they ain't special no more!

Old 01-31-2008, 10:53 AM

42 posts, read 187,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
I seriously doubt that this will ever happen even though it might be beneficial for Canada to be linked with our economy. While Mexico would love to be, the average American would not want to have anything to do with it unless, maybe, if the US and Canada got EU on them and forced Mexico to come up to standard.
At the risk of digressing from the original question, the Canadian and American economies are already inextricably linked regardless of the currency. Both countries need each other to stay healthy, economically speaking.

World oil prices have historically been in U.S. dollars, which suggests to some that it would be the obvious candidate for a world currency, but that's changing. Russia, China, Iran and Venezuela are hinting at oil pricing in Euros. In fact, Iraq, under Saddam was moving in that direction, which is the real reason why Bush invaded.

Okay now I'm really digressing....

Old 01-31-2008, 12:09 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
One of the purposes of globalization is to merge everybody at a lower level of mediocre than what the "golden age" middle classes of Europe and North America had become used in the 1950s-1990s period.

Those days are over, for better and for worse. Among other things, the economic disparity between the US and Mexico in around 20 years will be analogous to, let's say, the northeast US and a state like Louisiana, or, perhaps, the British mid-lands and London, northern Italy and southern Italy, or how about between Bulgaria or Romania (one day will adopt the EUR) and France, something like that.

Yes, the middle classes of the early industrialized countries were special at one time, but they ain't special no more!

Yeah that's true. But, I don't want the standards of my country dropped in the feel-good idea of globalization. Call me selfish but I'm not too keen on the idea.

If you talk with alot of western europeans, they are not too happy about the state of their continent. Sure, eastern Europe is recovering, but its western Europe thats paying the bill.

The nation-state is too ingrained in my head to embrace this.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:16 PM

9,356 posts, read 14,296,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Yeah that's true. But, I don't want the standards of my country dropped in the feel-good idea of globalization. Call me selfish but I'm not too keen on the idea.

If you talk with alot of western europeans, they are not too happy about the state of their continent. Sure, eastern Europe is recovering, but its western Europe thats paying the bill.

The nation-state is too ingrained in my head to embrace this.
I sympathize with you, decafdave, and I think globalization could be managed better, but I have to call it like I see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World