Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:53 AM

722 posts, read 1,327,803 times

Advertisements

the USA, most people dont care if you accidentally burp a little after a meal and say excuse me

or fart in an elevator full of people and deny you did it, they will just laugh, it's not that big of a deal.

as long as your not intentionally doing it to annoy people, it's just an accident, like sneezing.

Last edited by green papaya; 09-09-2015 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 10:31 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,480,377 times
Oh boy have I seen this cause problems. Way back while supervising at a factory in Ontario, an East Indian woman responsible for maintaining a supply of parts to a line of machines being run by other female operators was caught picking her nose and wiping it on a part of one of the machines.

I had to deal with an immediate revolt by all the operators of machines that woman was tasked with keeping supplied.

I cannot begin to tell you what I learned through the next few days of what was considered common behaviour by her native population of the time in contrast to the refusal of women in Canada who were aghast at the prospect they might have unknowingly come in contact with her "boogers" to even touch their machines until extreme measures could be taken to ensure no vestiges of her deposits remained.

Suffice it to say a rather extensive period of cleaning and painting occurred with volunteers running the equipment after a quick scrub-down to maintain production until each machine could be given a thorough scrubbing and painting in all areas operator contacted on a regular basis.

Cripes; what a costly debacle that was.

A much later experience from people originating from the same part of the world was while shopping at an A&P store and seeing a group of them cluster in a tight little circle to then walk away with a toddler leaving a little steaming pile of poo right in the center of the aisle.

No attempt made to locate a washroom, no attempt to notify staff of this, no attempt to pick it up with one of the veggie bags on spools right next to them as any dog owner would have done, NOTHING but complete benign ignorance at the outrage of all those in the aisle who witnessed this.

After hollering by a couple of the younger shoppers alerted store staff, they were chased down and hounded right out of the store.

Old 08-07-2020, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 625 times
Default Hmmm Yes.

Necromanced. The inuit culture encourages farting after meals and it is polite to do so.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:36 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,880,671 times
I’m guessing any culture where the local cuisine uses large amounts of beans.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:02 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,783,287 times
It wasn't me.

Old 08-08-2020, 09:02 PM

569 posts, read 507,493 times
In Australia lol

Old 08-12-2020, 08:51 PM

10,062 posts, read 14,935,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I’m guessing any culture where the local cuisine uses large amounts of beans.
Believe it or not, beans and farting is more indicative of people that don't eat beans on a regular basis (which the farting issue they face is one of the reasons they avoid it as much as possible). Habitual bean eaters don't fart due to them. It's sort of an acquired taste type of thing.

Speaking of acquired taste, flan sure looks delicious and I definitely enjoy it a few times a year. However, the first time I put that thing in my mouth it was one of the biggest disappointment in my life, I felt cheated by a flan. To top it all, I must had been in my early teens, a long time ago.

A similar situation happen to me again with pasteles from Puerto Rico. One of my aunts married a Puerto Rican man and me, being not Puerto Rican, was oblivious on my Puerto Rican cultural things. One day as a teenager I was at there house and she suggested I should have one, so I did. Sure, now its one of my favorite snacks from time to time, so delicious. At that time, however, after tasting it I couldn't understand why anyone would eat that "horrible" tasting stuff. Lol How things change! Think8ng of Puerto Rican Pasteles is making my mouth water. Lol

Last edited by AntonioR; 08-12-2020 at 09:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World