Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2015, 03:13 PM

26,784 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I met a girl, and her work situation was more stable than mine. Also, i wanted to move away From france for a while because I like to live abroad. Bologna is an awesome city.

Sure, the work situation is not the best, but if you can find a nice job there it can be almost a perfect life.

Italy is an awesome place, culturally and socially. The average Italian city looks miles better than the average French city. I used to live in Rhone Alpes area so I kinda miss having mountains and forests nearby, because Emilia Romagna is mostly a land of cornfields with very little interesting nature, but otherwise it's great.

Sadly, what Xander said above is kinda true, the political situation os a joke for being in Europe, most people are disilluzioned, especially people in the 30-45 yo range since they grew up with Berlusconism, and the general idea is that you have to leave. So, basically I feel like i'm swimming against the stream.
Do you feel sorry that you moved, or you are not excited about current situation if France either?
And - what's more important; what do you think needs to be done ( I am talking Italy in this case, but don't skip "French part" of course, if it's a part of equation, if it's something you need to relate to, in terms of comparisons and so on.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
We were talking about efficiency. Bull-related rituals have nothing to do with whether or not a country is efficient.
Oh but it does, Neuling, it does)))) Just in case you didn't notice, none of the "efficiency-oriented" countries - be that England, Germany or Sweden have this kind of entertainment, that Spain ( and other Latin countries it seems) had for centuries. I can't picture a little German ( or little Swede) sitting in bed and dreaming how one day he will grow up to become a matador to excite the crowd.

Quote:
Every country has stupid traditions and customs that seem - and in many cases are - out of place and time.
No-no Neuling, for YOU it is stupid, but that's what has been exciting Spanish women for centuries, and that has been an inseparable part of Spanish culture for long-long time. There are reasons you see, why each and every culture's traditions are different. They usually correspond to the national character of each and every nation, and those characters are of course different. Otherwise, even YOU wouldn't be moving from one end of Europe to the other, from one nation to the other. Why bother, if they are all the same?

Quote:
But keep in mind that most people in both Portugal and Spain don't care about that kind of stuff, which is sporadic anyway, it is not unlike soccer matches at the weekend.
But then, again, in the US they don't watch soccer, considering it to be "too girly." They came up with "football" instead ( you know what it's all about.) Any idea why?

Quote:
To put it very clearly, Germans and Americans are quite overrated and Spain and Portugal are quite underrated in many ways.
Overrated in what sense? That Germans and Americans are more "efficient" in their organizational skills than Spaniards or Portuguese? Or Italians? Or even French for this matter? But Germanic nations ARE more efficient than Latin countries, so nothing is "overrated" in this case. What IS overrated is "efficiency" itself. But that's what I am saying all along; everything is good in moderation, and the "efficiency" can become downright destructive for the world. And I believe that that's precisely what's happening ( talking about American version of "efficiency") and why it's happening exactly.

Old 09-21-2015, 04:05 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Do you feel sorry that you moved, or you are not excited about current situation if France either?
And - what's more important; what do you think needs to be done ( I am talking Italy in this case, but don't skip "French part" of course, if it's a part of equation, if it's something you need to relate to, in terms of comparisons and so on.)
No, I'm glad I moved. France is ok, i could go back there eventually but I have no immediate plans for this. I guess if I had to move back there I'd probably do things differently, or change a few things for sure, but location is only part of your life, really. I believe you can do the best out of most places.

Sure, Italy is kind of a mess in some fields, but then it's also amazing for some other stuff. It's a pity most Italians don't see the beauty of it, because I genuinely think it's an awesome place to live, but it is also true that some parts of Italy really same plagued by a social and economic situation that is detrimental for any kind of change of modernity.

Unfortunately I have no idea on how to change it. I'm already trying to change my life, and that is a big task.

It's also true that French people often complain about most things about their country, but they also have it easier (economically) and I believe they strongly believe about their possibility to change things, or maybe there is a tradition of radical changes which does not exist in that way in Italy.

In Italy people complain but I often find them to be contradictory and irrationial I have seen many situations where people in charge are really bad at directing, and people will complain, but will do nothing about it because either nothing can be done or they get tired at trying because the rules are really subjective in Italy, or at least civic sense is useless. If you follow the rules it is likely that you will get crushed, whereas in France I believe the rules still have a meaning, it's a more organized country with a strong national / republican feeling. Italy looks a lot more like the US in a mediterranean world.

Old 09-21-2015, 05:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Oh but it does, Neuling, it does)))) Just in case you didn't notice, none of the "efficiency-oriented" countries - be that England, Germany or Sweden have this kind of entertainment, that Spain ( and other Latin countries it seems) had for centuries. I can't picture a little German ( or little Swede) sitting in bed and dreaming how one day he will grow up to become a matador to excite the crowd.

No-no Neuling, for YOU it is stupid, but that's what has been exciting Spanish women for centuries, and that has been an inseparable part of Spanish culture for long-long time. There are reasons you see, why each and every culture's traditions are different. They usually correspond to the national character of each and every nation, and those characters are of course different. Otherwise, even YOU wouldn't be moving from one end of Europe to the other, from one nation to the other. Why bother, if they are all the same?

But then, again, in the US they don't watch soccer, considering it to be "too girly." They came up with "football" instead ( you know what it's all about.) Any idea why?

Overrated in what sense? That Germans and Americans are more "efficient" in their organizational skills than Spaniards or Portuguese? Or Italians? Or even French for this matter? But Germanic nations ARE more efficient than Latin countries, so nothing is "overrated" in this case. What IS overrated is "efficiency" itself. But that's what I am saying all along; everything is good in moderation, and the "efficiency" can become downright destructive for the world. And I believe that that's precisely what's happening ( talking about American version of "efficiency") and why it's happening exactly.
That is irrelevant. Bull-fighting has nothing to do with efficiency. You are trying to use that stupid ritual as an argument to support your stereotype.
Again, it is an occasional event. The Norwegians and Japanese still butcher whales, yet it has no effect on the efficiency of their countries, i.e. economies or whatever you are talking about.

There is no national Spanish character. And I certainly did not move from one country to another because of any difference in efficiency. I like living here for superficial reasons like unrestricted Youtube availability, milder weather, nicer sounding language, better looking women, etc.

The US didn't come up with football because they considered soccer to girly. Football is simply a variant of rugby, which is from Britain.

They are overrated in that they are not nearly as good as many people seem to think. Heck, I am from one of those oh so great countries and I can tell you that it sucks, there is corruption, laziness, inefficiency etc. just like here. People just don't want to see it because they like to cling to their stereotypes.
By and large they are only slightly more efficient (which not seldom boils down to a certain greed or coldness, just remember how efficiently they exterminated the Jews in Germany), while the Portuguese for instance are more innovative.

Old 09-21-2015, 12:29 PM

440 posts, read 662,218 times
I don't see a brain darin problem in the rich countries and territories of Asia.

Yes Portugal has a brain drain problem, even its former colony, Macau, which is much more richer than Portugal nowadays, is recruiting doctors from Portugal with a higher salary. I don't see they should fit in there as most people of Macau are Chinese speaking and dont understand a word of Portuguese language.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:37 AM

Also, the Spaniards have bull-fighting but let's not forget that the Germans have the Oktoberfest ! So much for efficiency

Old 09-22-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
No, I'm glad I moved. France is ok, i could go back there eventually but I have no immediate plans for this. I guess if I had to move back there I'd probably do things differently, or change a few things for sure, but location is only part of your life, really. I believe you can do the best out of most places.

Sure, Italy is kind of a mess in some fields, but then it's also amazing for some other stuff. It's a pity most Italians don't see the beauty of it, because I genuinely think it's an awesome place to live, but it is also true that some parts of Italy really same plagued by a social and economic situation that is detrimental for any kind of change of modernity.

Unfortunately I have no idea on how to change it. I'm already trying to change my life, and that is a big task.

It's also true that French people often complain about most things about their country, but they also have it easier (economically) and I believe they strongly believe about their possibility to change things, or maybe there is a tradition of radical changes which does not exist in that way in Italy.

In Italy people complain but I often find them to be contradictory and irrationial I have seen many situations where people in charge are really bad at directing, and people will complain, but will do nothing about it because either nothing can be done or they get tired at trying because the rules are really subjective in Italy, or at least civic sense is useless. If you follow the rules it is likely that you will get crushed, whereas in France I believe the rules still have a meaning, it's a more organized country with a strong national / republican feeling. Italy looks a lot more like the US in a mediterranean world.
Sounds very much like Russia ( in many ways,) but what I wanted to ask, what "some other stuff" is amazing in Italy? Can you give an example?

Old 09-22-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That is irrelevant. Bull-fighting has nothing to do with efficiency. You are trying to use that stupid ritual as an argument to support your stereotype.
Again, it is an occasional event. The Norwegians and Japanese still butcher whales, yet it has no effect on the efficiency of their countries, i.e. economies or whatever you are talking about.

There is no national Spanish character. And I certainly did not move from one country to another because of any difference in efficiency. I like living here for superficial reasons like unrestricted Youtube availability, milder weather, nicer sounding language, better looking women, etc.
OK Neuling, since we are talking about intangible things and it's a matter of opinion, let me try one more time;
In my opinion, nations DO have national characters, and certain beliefs and traditions DO reflect this very national character. In case of bull fighting I was not talking about "butchering" itself per se ( because I'm sure gazillion of nations out there butcher cows ( and bulls when necessary,) but the whole show that's made out of it, and what stands behind this show (the manifestation of man's bravery, quick brush with death, adrenalin rush and what's not,) is what makes bullfighting special for Spaniards. I'm sure that Norwegians have their own "national character" which might be less known for obvious reasons, and whether a whale killing is part of it or not - it depends whether they have their own beliefs/customs/traditions regarding it or not. Now regarding the "stereotypes," they don't come out of nowhere either.
There IS such thing as "typical German" or "typical Russian" or "typical American,"; it's just every nation has enough of people that doesn't fit into stereotype.
Now what it comes to YOU and your choices - I am not going to get personal here ( although I could of,) so let's just put it differently ( yet again); Portuguese women ( and language) and even weather! are all parts of what shaped Portuguese national character)))

Quote:
The US didn't come up with football because they considered soccer to girly.
You haven't heard Americans talking I guess..))))

Quote:
Football is simply a variant of rugby, which is from Britain.
Right, but it never got such popularity as American football in the US.

Quote:
They are overrated in that they are not nearly as good as many people seem to think. Heck, I am from one of those oh so great countries and I can tell you that it sucks, there is corruption, laziness, inefficiency etc. just like here.
People just don't want to see it because they like to cling to their stereotypes.
I am sure - people are not just machines anywhere, and I DO see the shortcomings of German national character - I do; in no way I am trying to tell you that oh! Germans are sooo much superior to Portuguese in that sense.
Where Germans ARE superior, it's when it comes to science and technology. Now try to deny it Neuling, tell me it's "just a stereotype" ))))

Quote:
By and large they are only slightly more efficient (which not seldom boils down to a certain greed or coldness, just remember how efficiently they exterminated the Jews in Germany), while the Portuguese for instance are more innovative.
Talking about "greed and coldness" - it is the dark side of Germanic character. Add there a big deal of hypocrisy as well. And that "American efficiency" I was talking about earlier ( that squeezes life out of everything, and concentrates resources in fewer and fewer hands) and that "efficiency" manifested by Germans during exterminations of Jews, are of the same nature and is coming from the same mold. But I'd rather not talk about it here, since this would probably belong more in the "Religion" section, ( where I don't like to go.)

Old 09-22-2015, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Also, the Spaniards have bull-fighting but let's not forget that the Germans have the Oktoberfest ! So much for efficiency
Well I mentioned Oktoberfest before, talking about *differences in traditions* as "part of national character."

Neuling just likes to argue with me)))

Old 09-22-2015, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Sounds very much like Russia ( in many ways,) but what I wanted to ask, what "some other stuff" is amazing in Italy? Can you give an example?
food, cities, some natural landscapes, culture... people are also welcoming and easy to meet in general. It is also an incredibly varied country with contrasting cultures within.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World