Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 09:13 AM

3,863 posts, read 5,289,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
For England, as a kid I would have answered Liverpool right away, but it's funny how the "big clubs" (usually from the largest cities) in many countries have in many cases overshadowed the legendary clubs who are from smaller (and poorer) cities.

I suppose that in contemporary English football, Liverpool would probably be about fourth on the "prestige" list, behind Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea.

I was thinking about France as well, where the legendary club historically is unquestionably the Olympique de Marseille, but they've been matched and even overtaken in our era by Paris St-Germain.
When referring to modern football you may even put "Citeh" in that group as well. Even though Liverpool seems to have their sh*t together this year. There is just something about the history of Liverpool that just cant be taken away from them and I can say that even as a Chelsea supporter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 09:27 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
When referring to modern football you may even put "Citeh" in that group as well. Even though Liverpool seems to have their sh*t together this year. There is just something about the history of Liverpool that just cant be taken away from them and I can say that even as a Chelsea supporter.
Citeh, hehehe ...

Their transformation into (something of a) powerhouse is even more recent than for the others though, isn't it?

Old 09-11-2015, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Citeh, hehehe ...

Their transformation into (something of a) powerhouse is even more recent than for the others though, isn't it?
Yeah their's is even more recent. They have always been around, but like Chelsea they benefited from an ownership change (Roman and Sheikh Mansour respectively) to really propel them into the big leagues.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:09 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Good man! You've just gone up 1000% in my estimation!

Old 09-11-2015, 12:34 PM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
He's lost a bit with me as if I prefer any team in the EPL it's probably Arsenal I guess. But edward's still in the high 90s (out of 100) in my book so it won't change much!

Old 09-11-2015, 12:47 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Ask seniors which foreign football club they know the most about, i bet you at least half will start to talk about Real Madrid, how Di Stefano and Puskas are in the top 5 best players in football.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:05 PM

2,652 posts, read 3,408,741 times
Association football (soccer) = FC Bayern München, Barcelona FC, Manchester United
Basketball = Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers
Baseball = Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers
Ice hockey = Boston Bruins, Toronto Maple Leafs
American football = New England Patriots
American college football = Florida Gators
American college basketball = Indiana Hoosiers, North Carolina Tar Heels

Old 09-11-2015, 01:32 PM

10,644 posts, read 16,027,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkier7 View Post
Association football (soccer) = FC Bayern München, Barcelona FC, Manchester United
Basketball = Boston Celtics, Chicago Bulls, Los Angeles Lakers
Baseball = Boston Red Sox, New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers
Ice hockey = Boston Bruins, Toronto Maple Leafs
American football = New England Patriots
American college football = Florida Gators
American college basketball = Indiana Hoosiers, North Carolina Tar Heels
^I really don't like Real Madrid but even i have to admit its the most legendary club in football, you don't even have it in your top 3

Old 09-11-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Cheers!

Quote:
He's lost a bit with me as if I prefer any team in the EPL it's probably Arsenal I guess. But edward's still in the high 90s (out of 100) in my book so it won't change much!
Right back at you, mon ami! Now that you are feeling generous, would you lend us poor Chelsea fans back Petr Cech while our keeper in on the mend?

Old 09-11-2015, 04:51 PM

11,554 posts, read 9,324,204 times
Football - FC Barcelona
Basketball - Boston Celtics
Baseball - New York Yankees
Ice hockey - Montreal Canadiens
Fake football - New England Patriots
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World