Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 03:32 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Coming into contact with a British person would probably be like coming in contact with an Alien so we would probably be all freaked out / amazed by him. lol
Ah! But we wouldn't be here either! (unless you're First nations, of course lol)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2015, 06:03 AM

7,501 posts, read 6,289,161 times
it would be ike 200 years ago, but would we have radio / tv / internet then ? that would be weird to be able to see the world without actually moving anywhere.

Old 09-17-2015, 07:14 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
We can put a man on the moon and he can look down and see other continents, that we can't get to? Oh, wait, going to the moon would be transportation. OK, we can send unmanned satellites into orbit, sending back camera images of other continents, and we would speculate for centuries about whether those continents have life on them or not.

It's easy to speculate about what life would be like before superequine transport speeds. Just read books that were written in the pre-superequine era, written by people like Tolstoy and Conrad and Melville. That's what life would be like.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:32 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al G View Post
What do you think the World would look like today if man never invented transportation, besides his own feet for moving about? No boats, planes, autos or even the wheel. Maybe animal travel, but that's all.
Would the people of the world be as mixed as they are now?
Would our customs / religions be not as similar as now?
I guess humans would be living in much the same way that the great apes do in the wild.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:15 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,652,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Are we to assume that the industrial revolution also did not occur? How can you visualize one without the other?
Industry with out the wheel?

Old 09-18-2015, 02:45 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I guess humans would be living in much the same way that the great apes do in the wild.
I am not an expert on the Americas before the Europeans came, but I believe that the Aztec, Mayan and Inca societies, to name the most well known, had settled agriculture, cities, mathematics and monumental architecture, all without the wheel and apparently even a writing system. However they apparently had river transportation (canoes) and I have read somewhere about some boat travel in the Caribbean region.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong on any of those points and feel free to elaborate.

In any case, I believe these societies of the Americas come closest to what the OP is getting at.

Old 09-18-2015, 04:52 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Recently I saw a movie about what the world looked like before commercial aviation which is not that long ago (just over a 100 years ago). Most people didn't get that far away from their homes and people that did leave it was usually a one way trip meaning they never returned to the place that they originated from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World