Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 11:16 PM

11,642 posts, read 12,829,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red John View Post
London beats the pants off Los Angeles for Middle-East, Europe, South Asia, various parts of Africa. Los Angeles beats London at a good chunk of East and Southeast Asia and areas in the Americas.
Exactly this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2016, 11:24 AM

140 posts, read 149,914 times
Great thread. I wanted to open similar one, but no need for that i will comment here.

Demography and demographic statistics are my hobby so i have knowledge about many states and most major cities on this topic.

To OP´s ranking based on continents and foreign born population above 5,000. Not accurate measurement, not saying totally wrong one, no, but 1st of all it should go to % share of total population and at least count in also 2nd generation immigrants.

To diversity or multiculturalism or how to call it - there is diversity also between 2 neighbouring countries - ethnicities and regions inside those countries, but obviously there is greater diversity in culture, religion, society between countries that are in East Asia and country that is in North Africa than between 2 central European countries.

So grouping countries by foreign born by continent is not so accurate, because it can be very misleading, especially in case of Asia-there are huge differences if you have people from Midle East or Indian subcontinent or East Asia and so on.

Obviously American cities are mostly diverse, but we can discuss what kind of diversity it is when you have 1/4 of population AfroAmerican - people that are all Americans by culture and everything, because they ancestors came 3 centuries ago and another 1/4 Hispanics, from that huge majority Mexican. Yes there are differences between Latin American countries, 1st is Carribean, another Andean, one has huge Amerindian population, another strong african and so on. But in the end in such city half of the city is Afro American and Mexican - with 1st being Americans for generatons just different by looks to Americans of Irish, German, Anglo, Polish and so on ancestries and 2nd group just speaking Spanish with some mestizo looks and Mexican culture and heritage - so if half of city is one of those 2 and rest is of Irish, German, Polish, British, Scandinavian, Italian descent with few Asians - is such city diverse by american standards? i don ´t think so and if you look at US diversity index many cities like this one i gave as example are counted as very diverse - i disagree.

Most diverse cities should have people from all around the world. How i said many US cities are diverse, but in the end not so much, because they have maybe 4-5 ,,groups,, while there are cities with 100 different ,,groups,,

NYC, London or Toronto are indeed most diverse cities in the world based on this criteria - having people from all corners of this planet representing high % of total population.

Especially NYC is best example of this. Shares of non-hispanic whites, Latinos, Black population and Asians is pretty even, no group dominating or even coming close to large minority.

Share of non-hispanic whites is decreasing every year since peak European immigration wave from late 19th, early 20th century. Today most of those people are what 4th, 5th, 6th generation? Huge majority of theam speaking only English, being Americanized, but having some identity and cultural aspects - remembering Italian, Polish, German, Jewish roots and so on.

Minority of white non-hispanics are relatively new immigrants and 2nd generation immigrants from former eastern bloc, good number of Russians and Jews from former Soviet countries

Black population of NYC - most are African Americans-what 10th-20th generation who knows exactly when they ancestors were forcefully brought to USA(back than actually not USA, but british colonies) from Western Africa, those people speak only English and are Americanized. Remaining minority/growing in share/ are immigrants and their descendats from black Carribean and Subsaharan Africa with their cultures, languages, differences./mostly Jamaica, Haiti, Guyana,Trinidad and Tobago(last 2 with large indian share) and Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya, Ethiopia, Somalia.

Hispanics - from every hispanic country there are people in NYC in good numbers. While most of US diverse cities is dominated by Mexicans/from 51% to 90% in some cases among Hispanics/ in NYC Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are largest groups with Mexicans on 3rd place. Than comes Ecuador, Colombia, El Salvador, Honduras and Peru. True diversity among Hispanics - not like in some other cities were Mexicans are huge majority, while they all speak Spanish there are many differences between Mexicans, Carribean Latinos and South Americans.

Asians - this is the most diverse group itself, because Asia is huge and there are tremendous differences in culture, religion and everything between certain countries, even regions inside Asia. In US census is Western Asia, Caucasus and part of Central Asia not counted to Asians. Anyway huge communties of Chinese, Indians, Bengalis/Bangladesh/, Pakistanis, Filipinos, Koreans with practically every ethnicity represented.

Than rest of NYC are people from Midle East, Asia Minor, Caucaus, North Africa, Central Asia and very few peple from North Asia/various ethnicities from Asian part of Russian Federation. Also i forgot on Native Americans and Pacific Islanders and peple from Australia and Oceania - obviously many from there are mixed or Australians of English, Italian ancestry and so on.

NYC is clearly city that is truly diverse with everyone living in there, mostly thanks to the fact that NYC is known melting pot and city based on immigration - also most popular/famous city in USA - thanks to TV, movies and so on worldwide glamour of NYC means it is magnet for immigrants to this days. Arguably most famous and recognized city in the world

NYC Population

This is good publication concerning foreign born population of NYC - latest edition

Toronto is currently above half belonging to visible minorities - mostly South Asians, Chinese, Blacks/predominantly Caribbean, Filipinos, West Asians/Arabs,Persians and it is truly city full of everyone with ethnic neighbourhoods.

London - in census from 2011 - over 44% was white British, today it is probably between 35-40% including people that are 4th generation Irish or Polish, rest is from Europe, South Asia, Caribbean, Africa, Eastern and Southeastern Asia.

London as capital of largest empire ever had people from their colonies long time ago, but large scale immigration happened only after WW2 with recruiting of Black Caribbeans and after partition of India in 1947. Today London has also people from all around the world and it has similar status to NYC - global alpha city one of most visited most famous and so on.

Now there are other cities that are very diverse - Paris, Amsterda or Brussels in Europe are probably most diverse after London - if we speak about capitals and 1 city per country. Than there are cities in german speaking Europe like Frankfurt, Vienna, Zurich that are half of migration background-that means 1st and 2nd generation, but mostly Europeans.

In USA i can´t really decide which city is No.2. Los Angeles is pretty diverse but in the end half of the city or county is Hispanic/predominantly Mexican or like 90% from Hispanics Mexican and Central American, so basically only other half has diversity outside of Latin America - with statistically largest Persian and Armenian communities among major US cities.

Miami even less diverse than L.A. - majority is Hispanic 2/3 actually - from that half Cuban and other half similar shares of South Americans, Central Americans and rest of Caribbean.
From remaining 1/3 of population mostly non-hispanic whites and blacks/good balance between Caribbeans, Afro Americans and some Subsaharan Africans.

Sydney, Melbourne and Auckland are also very diverse - to large Asian share, but very diverse too with whole world there. I would place them in top 10, top 15 for sure.

Vancouver is in most rankings in top 5 as one of the most diverse cities which i disagree, basically people there are of european origing or Asians/predominantly Chinese, South Asians and rest SE Asia. Very small share of total population is from rest of the world so not so diverse after all.

Based on many estimations, NYC, London and Toronto are top 3 in diversity with representing whole world, pretty evenly.

Btw some Latin American cities are also pretty diverse thanks to European colonization- that means native population that was there, later Africans brought there, European mass immigration and in some cases also Asians, for example century ago Sao Paolo or Buenos Aires were as much immigration cities like NYC - in all cases Europeans were huge majority of newcomers.

Also many cities in Africa are diverse, having people from tens if not hundreds ethnicities there speaking different languages with cultural differences, but it is mostly about African diversity-which is super diverse continent, but obviously those major african cities lack any immigration from rest of the world.

Similar case some major Indian cities with many ethnicities, languages and cultures but in the end eveyone there is from India.

Singapore or Kuala Lumpur are probably most diverse cities in Asia, but it´s mostly about varous Asian people there and some Europeans, Americans, Canadians, Australians not whole world really.

Midle East is specific region right now - Dubai, Abu Dhabi, top Saudi cities and some other capitals in region have huge foreign born population - Dubai is right now like 80% foreign - huge majority from that immigrants from Southern and SE Asia with other Arabs and some westerners for job reasons. But it is different in that case that most will go back, will never get citizenship, never be ,,locals,, and are treated like slaves in some cases/many cases/ - very specific and not so diverse with strong muslim authorities there.

Last edited by Mibazn; 09-01-2016 at 11:56 AM..

Old 09-01-2016, 12:18 PM

452 posts, read 1,317,164 times
I am not making the claim that Los Angeles is the most diverse city in the world, but it is probably up there. But, if expand and talk about the Los Angeles area meaning surrounding areas outside of the city limit, you will find the area fairly diverse (not necessarily integrated). The Los Angeles metro area (not city limit) has a very large Hispanic/Latino population (Mexicans, Salvadorians); and as I understand the largest Armenian population outside of Armenia; largest Korean population outside of Korea; largest Taiwanese population outside of Taiwan; a very sizable Chinese population; it has a fairly sizable Persian population; sizable Filipino population; sizable Vietnamese population (perhaps one of the largest outside of Vietnam); there are also pockets of Russians, Ethiopians, Thais. There are communities of Japanese. Pockets of Cambodians. Pockets of East Indians. And of course the "white" population and African-Americans; There are probably other groups I have not mentioned.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
I am not making the claim that Los Angeles is the most diverse city in the world, but it is probably up there. But, if expand and talk about the Los Angeles area meaning surrounding areas outside of the city limit, you will find the area fairly diverse (not necessarily integrated). The Los Angeles metro area (not city limit) has a very large Hispanic/Latino population (Mexicans, Salvadorians); and as I understand the largest Armenian population outside of Armenia; largest Korean population outside of Korea; largest Taiwanese population outside of Taiwan; a very sizable Chinese population; it has a fairly sizable Persian population; sizable Filipino population; sizable Vietnamese population (perhaps one of the largest outside of Vietnam); there are also pockets of Russians, Ethiopians, Thais. There are communities of Japanese. Pockets of Cambodians. Pockets of East Indians. And of course the "white" population and African-Americans; There are probably other groups I have not mentioned.
I agree with everything you said, L.A. city or L.A. county is very diverse, just not as much as NYC or London.

Share of Latinos (90% from that Mexicans and central Americans) is extremely high.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:01 AM

64 posts, read 65,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooguy View Post
It really exemplifies how Vancouver is not near as cosmopolitan as it claims to be. There are certainly a lot of visible minorities in Vancouver but outside of the Chinese, Filipinos, and Indians, it is very much still a rather WASPY city. Those 3 groups vastly outnumber all others and the Chinese VASTLY out number the other 2 in economic, social, and political influence.
My friend from Vancouver says Vancouver is an expensive village full of Anglos living alongside a huge chinese community pretending to be NYC.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twnxn View Post
Los angeles has a huge number of Mexican people, but it has hardly any latin American diversity.

The immense majority of Latinos in LA are either Mexican or Salvadorian (the two groups are often very similar and hard to distinguish from an outside perspective).

South Americans such as the Argentines, Columbians, Brazilians, Chileans, or even Caribbean Latinos (Puerto ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, Haitians) are barely even present in LA.

The only two places in the US where you can find a real variety of Latinos without a huge Mexican presence taking over it's NYC or Miami.

Old 09-02-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibazn View Post
Obviously American cities are mostly diverse, but we can discuss what kind of diversity it is when you have 1/4 of population AfroAmerican - people that are all Americans by culture and everything, because they ancestors came 3 centuries ago and another 1/4 Hispanics, from that huge majority Mexican. Yes there are differences between Latin American countries, 1st is Carribean, another Andean, one has huge Amerindian population, another strong african and so on. But in the end in such city half of the city is Afro American and Mexican - with 1st being Americans for generatons just different by looks to Americans of Irish, German, Anglo, Polish and so on ancestries and 2nd group just speaking Spanish with some mestizo looks and Mexican culture and heritage - so if half of city is one of those 2 and rest is of Irish, German, Polish, British, Scandinavian, Italian descent with few Asians - is such city diverse by american standards? i don ´t think so and if you look at US diversity index many cities like this one i gave as example are counted as very diverse - i disagree.
I agree

Most American cities are largely American and their diversity is vastly based on people recalling their ancestors 3 or 4 generations ago. Even in NYC it's not as common to meet many nationalities, you'll meet however Americans who tell you their grandpa was from X country and then it suddenly counts towards NYC diversity.

Most immigrants in many American cities are almost entirely from Either Mexico or some Asian countries, mostly China, Indian, Philippines. The rest of the population is vastly white/black english speaking Americans.

I spent time in Geneva Switzerland and I was impressed by the multicultural way of the city. I assisted a party and every single one of the guests was from a different country. 24 guests, 24 different countries which included Africa, Asia, the Americas and Europe, not even the Swiss were at a majority. That is hard to find in the US, even in NYC!

Old 09-02-2016, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney-Melbrooke View Post
I agree

Most American cities are largely American and their diversity is vastly based on people recalling their ancestors 3 or 4 generations ago. Even in NYC it's not as common to meet many nationalities, you'll meet however Americans who tell you their grandpa was from X country and then it suddenly counts towards NYC diversity.

Most immigrants in many American cities are almost entirely from Either Mexico or some Asian countries, mostly China, Indian, Philippines. The rest of the population is vastly white/black english speaking Americans.

I spent time in Geneva Switzerland and I was impressed by the multicultural way of the city. I assisted a party and every single one of the guests was from a different country. 24 guests, 24 different countries which included Africa, Asia, the Americas and Europe, not even the Swiss were at a majority. That is hard to find in the US, even in NYC!
I will comment here also to your post above about Latinos and L.A.

I also find L.A. diverse but it is not up there with top3 (London, NYC, Toronto) because almost half is hispanic. From that half huge majority is Mexican and almost everyone is Mexican or central American just like you said.

NYC has great divesity of Latinos with Puerto Ricans and Dominicans as top 2 and than Mexican, Ecuadorians, Colombians, Peruvians,, Salvadorians and so on. I personally use 4 sub groups (Mexican, central American, Hispanic islands/Caribbean and South Americans) so based on this NYC has by far most diverse hispanic population. Maybe still to many from Caribbean but far better diversity than in other major cities (metro areas)

My problem with Miami is that 2/3 are hispanic and half from that Cuban(must, admit that there is good balance in non Cuban share with central Americans/Nicaraguans mostly, South Americans/Colombians and rest of islands in Caribbean and some Mexicans logically too:d)

To Geneva. Yes very diverse thanks to UN mostly i guess, but generally, speaking major swiss cities are very diverse./ obviously majority are from Europe

Old 09-02-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mibazn View Post
I agree with everything you said, L.A. city or L.A. county is very diverse, just not as much as NYC or London.

Share of Latinos (90% from that Mexicans and central Americans) is extremely high.
There is one thing to be said of NYC and London- I speculate there are also a high number of foreign nationals living there who are neither US or UK citizens or that NYC or London is not their sole residence. Keep in mind, London is the capital of the UK so I suspect there are people living there as result of the Embassy of their respective country and it is also a major financial capital- similar with NYC, except it is not the capital the US, but houses the UN. As for LA, I believe many living are residents of the area, though there are a far amount of people who are foreign residents and who spend part of the time in LA and part of time in their respective country.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney-Melbrooke View Post
Los angeles has a huge number of Mexican people, but it has hardly any latin American diversity.

The immense majority of Latinos in LA are either Mexican or Salvadorian (the two groups are often very similar and hard to distinguish from an outside perspective).

South Americans such as the Argentines, Columbians, Brazilians, Chileans, or even Caribbean Latinos (Puerto ricans, Cubans, Dominicans, Haitians) are barely even present in LA.

The only two places in the US where you can find a real variety of Latinos without a huge Mexican presence taking over it's NYC or Miami.
I agree the Latino population in the LA area is largely from Mexico or El Salvador and not many from South America, the Caribbean. But, when I wrote about diversity I was referring to the number of different ethnic groups there are in the LA area. I was referring to the variety not limited to Latinos. Though, yes outside of the "mainstream white population" and African-American population, a large number are Latino- namely Mexican and Salvadorans and East Asian/Southeast Asian (from various countries). But, there are also Persians, Armenians, Ethiopians, Indians/South Asians (and others which I mentioned in my earlier post).
Again, I never made the claim that LA and the Greater Los Angeles area is the most diverse city or metropolitan area. But, I do make a case it probably one of the most diverse in the world still.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic...in_Los_Angeles (the sources it cites).

Also see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_London

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demogr..._New_York_City

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Toronto

See: http://theculturetrip.com/north-amer...-in-the-world/

See: http://www.thetoptens.com/diverse-cities/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World