Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 03:44 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,835,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Southeastern Turkey should be safer, nowhere near the level of more unstable countries
Vitut. The long Turco-Syrian border is practically a no-man's land and war zone. There is a real threat of being kidnapped or killed by ISIS or bombed by Turkish airplanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 04:36 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,818,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Vitut. The long Turco-Syrian border is practically a no-man's land and war zone. There is a real threat of being kidnapped or killed by ISIS or bombed by Turkish airplanes.
The border is a short strip, he instead included provinces and cities which are far away from it. There is a crackdown from Erdogan that's being directed towards the Kurds but it's mostly localized in the most heavily Kurdish suburbs of the largest Southeastern cities and thus will rather involve any tourist

Old 04-21-2016, 07:47 AM

38 posts, read 118,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
My Top 5 Favorite Global Maps Right Now Relevant To Representing A Travel Index.

1. French Ministry Of Foreign Affairs Foreign Travel Advice. Very Localized Highlighting Is A Sign Of Accurate Representation.

Argentina even safer than Chile? Why is Morocco at such another opposite disparity on the map compared to it's neighbors Tunisia-Algeria? Eastern Ukraine, and Far Southeastern Thailand ought to get a darker color Orange-Red. http://i.imgur.com/EWwAWgk.jpg

2. Turkey Travel Advisory Map

A majority of Turkey was safe enough 2000-up to October 2015, despite what some cynical people think. Now the situation is really confusing. Just not the far Southeast, emerging into anomalous East Central. https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...urkey_jpeg.jpg

3. Southwestern Russia Travel Map. The Rest Of Russia Is All In Green Safe Territory.

Dagestan, Chechnya, and SouthEastern Ukraine-Western Russia Border is really the only controversial area of Russia? Vast Swaths of Siberia is not really objecting to Russia's control too much according to other travel maps. https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...ussia_jpeg.jpg

4. Source: Department Of Foreign Affairs
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...16.19%20PM.png

"Exercise a high degree of caution" is ultra ambiguous, yet a very catchy title.

Why is Vietnam not the same classification on the map compared with Taiwan, South Korea, and Malaysia? Ukraine is quite different 2 years later compared to 2013. Astonishing UAE, Oman, Kuwait have such an extreme variation compared to Yemen, and Kuwait's neighbors. Botswana the safest country in all of Africa? Israel, and Lebanon are very difficult to see on the Map. China deserves a green nomination.

5. Dutch Travel Agency
http://i.imgur.com/wxKX7Nr.png

My Favorite Global Travel Index Map. Extreme details on every country, ultra specific, and in depth accurate.

Is there anything you disagree upon towards the Map?

I am especially stunned and mesmerized by Croatia, Macedonia, Iran, Malaysia, Philippines, Georgia, Tajikistan, Cambodia, Myranmar, Nepal, Morocco, Oman, Yemen, Jordan, Colombia, Mexico, and Peru.

Yellow is welcoming enough. I might even risk orange. Anyone willing to travel on the red territory?
South Africa stands out.

It always amazes me how South Africans see their country and just how average it's ranked using standardized practices. The discrepancy couldn't be bigger. This is why I don't trust websites like Numbeo (crime section is a farce) or questionarres. It's also why I don't trust crime or even the specific murder rates. Generally with the occasional exception, the darker the color, the more murderous the country. It would be intriguing if we could do a murder/homicide table based on the color grading alone.

Unbiased security analysts who look at each place equally are the best source we have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World