Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 02:31 PM
 started this thread
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 2 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,912,538 times

Advertisements

Involve a Global Demographic Map. There is realistically always even more than 5 relevant maps on the same post rational to occur.

What are all of the 100% everywhere is safe nations out there? And the entirely opposite 100% of all is dangerous countries?

Especially hypnotically alluring on maps are those extreme in between countries. Include some countries where the travel advisory index map displays high variation. Any unbelievably surprising examples not going to many people's original expectation?

Describe your anecdotal story experience with what you have encountered in each country you visit according to travel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 02:51 PM
 started this thread

My Top 5 Favorite Global Maps Right Now Relevant To Representing A Travel Index.

1. French Ministry Of Foreign Affairs Foreign Travel Advice. Very Localized Highlighting Is A Sign Of Accurate Representation.

Argentina even safer than Chile? Why is Morocco at such another opposite disparity on the map compared to it's neighbors Tunisia-Algeria? Eastern Ukraine, and Far Southeastern Thailand ought to get a darker color Orange-Red. http://i.imgur.com/EWwAWgk.jpg

2. Turkey Travel Advisory Map

A majority of Turkey was safe enough 2000-up to October 2015, despite what some cynical people think. Now the situation is really confusing. Just not the far Southeast, emerging into anomalous East Central. https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...urkey_jpeg.jpg

3. Southwestern Russia Travel Map. The Rest Of Russia Is All In Green Safe Territory.

Dagestan, Chechnya, and SouthEastern Ukraine-Western Russia Border is really the only controversial area of Russia? Vast Swaths of Siberia is not really objecting to Russia's control too much according to other travel maps. https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...ussia_jpeg.jpg

4. Source: Department Of Foreign Affairs
http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt...16.19%20PM.png

"Exercise a high degree of caution" is ultra ambiguous, yet a very catchy title.

Why is Vietnam not the same classification on the map compared with Taiwan, South Korea, and Malaysia? Ukraine is quite different 2 years later compared to 2013. Astonishing UAE, Oman, Kuwait have such an extreme variation compared to Yemen, and Kuwait's neighbors. Botswana the safest country in all of Africa? Israel, and Lebanon are very difficult to see on the Map. China deserves a green nomination.

5. Dutch Travel Agency
http://i.imgur.com/wxKX7Nr.png

My Favorite Global Travel Index Map. Extreme details on every country, ultra specific, and in depth accurate.

Is there anything you disagree upon towards the Map?

I am especially stunned and mesmerized by Croatia, Macedonia, Iran, Malaysia, Philippines, Georgia, Tajikistan, Cambodia, Myranmar, Nepal, Morocco, Oman, Yemen, Jordan, Colombia, Mexico, and Peru.

Yellow is welcoming enough. I might even risk orange. Anyone willing to travel on the red territory?

Old 10-21-2015, 04:41 AM

653 posts, read 743,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
My Top 5 Favorite Global Maps Right Now Relevant To Representing A Travel Index.

1. French Ministry Of Foreign Affairs Foreign Travel Advice. Very Localized Highlighting Is A Sign Of Accurate Representation.

Argentina even safer than Chile? Why is Morocco at such another opposite disparity on the map compared to it's neighbors Tunisia-Algeria? Eastern Ukraine, and Far Southeastern Thailand ought to get a darker color Orange-Red. http://i.imgur.com/EWwAWgk.jpg

A majority of Turkey was safe enough 2000-up to October 2015, despite what some cynical people think. Now the situation is really confusing. Just not the far Southeast, emerging into anomalous East Central. https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...urkey_jpeg.jpg

3. Southwestern Russia Travel Map. The Rest Of Russia Is All In Green Safe Territory.

Dagestan, Chechnya, and SouthEastern Ukraine-Western Russia Border is really the only controversial area of Russia? Vast Swaths of Siberia is not really objecting to Russia's control too much according to other travel maps. https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...ussia_jpeg.jpg

"Exercise a high degree of caution" is ultra ambiguous, yet a very catchy title.

Why is Vietnam not the same classification on the map compared with Taiwan, South Korea, and Malaysia? Ukraine is quite different 2 years later compared to 2013. Astonishing UAE, Oman, Kuwait have such an extreme variation compared to Yemen, and Kuwait's neighbors. Botswana the safest country in all of Africa? Israel, and Lebanon are very difficult to see on the Map. China deserves a green nomination.

5. Dutch Travel Agency

My Favorite Global Travel Index Map. Extreme details on every country, ultra specific, and in depth accurate.

I am especially stunned and mesmerized by Croatia, Macedonia, Iran, Malaysia, Philippines, Georgia, Tajikistan, Cambodia, Myranmar, Nepal, Morocco, Oman, Yemen, Jordan, Colombia, Mexico, and Peru.

Yellow is welcoming enough. I might even risk orange. Anyone willing to travel on the red territory?
safe areas tend to be Northern America, Continental Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong - all areas which are untouched by war or insurgencies.

On a country-by-country basis, can be very misleading; some cities are more violent than other cities; would be useful if we had a city-by-city comparision.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:02 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,432,703 times
About the first one (french) I believe that few would agree that Argentina is safer than chile, that equals Haiti...

Old 10-21-2015, 08:36 PM

680 posts, read 648,718 times
Definitely agree that it could be even more specific, as some areas or cities tend to be quite safe within certain locations. I also think that Chile is no less safe than the United States, maybe safer in quite a few instances but the travel advisories could be alluding to other issues other than violence, theft, and things we think about when safety is brought up.

I believe that Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Japan, South Korea, Hong Kong, and Taiwan are about as safe as it gets when it comes to general safety. You could include portions of the United States and Europe in the list as well, put an emphasis on the portions with those two.

Old 10-22-2015, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

5. Dutch Travel Agency

The classification for Vietnam is very weird; unless you are Chinese or look like Chinese, most tourists to Vietnam are really in no trouble at all; in fact, if a tourist keep a common sense, going to vietnam is actually more safe than visiting some US cities.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:12 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
On the Dutch map, I went this year to a red country (Armenia) and four yellow ones (Ukraine, Kyrgyzstan, Turkey). I can't imagine any countries any safer than those. At lest, in those, you can depend on people to be friendly, hospitable, generous and helpful, which you cannot say about a lot of green countries.

My wife, who is 70, had a 20-hour stopover in Istanbul and went all over the city by herself on public mass transportation at eleven oclock at night, and never felt anything other than perfectly comfortable and safe, albeit at times lost and dependent on local strangers to find her way around.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
On the Dutch map, I went this year to a red country (Armenia) and four yellow ones (Ukraine, Kyrgyzstan, Turkey). I can't imagine any countries any safer than those. At lest, in those, you can depend on people to be friendly, hospitable, generous and helpful, which you cannot say about a lot of green countries.

My wife, who is 70, had a 20-hour stopover in Istanbul and went all over the city by herself on public mass transportation at eleven oclock at night, and never felt anything other than perfectly comfortable and safe, albeit at times lost and dependent on local strangers to find her way around.
That is good; i do wonder how are all these maps really calculated.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:32 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
That is good; i do wonder how are all these maps really calculated.
I suspect they are colored according to the intensity of any travel warnings issued by government agencies.

Obviously, anyplace there is an ongoing shooting war going on, a traveler ought be circumspect about where to wander without making local inquiry. There are places of unrest I would probably not go, not for reasons of safety, but just because the infrastructure may be so compromised, it would be difficult to get around or acquire necessities like food. I traveled at length in Idi Amin's Uganda and Ceausescu's Romania, and there were no real difficulties, except in the case of Uganda, simply the logistics of getting around in a country with no fuel or spare parts nor imported foods. I was the first American to travel across Syria after the 1973 war, and I felt perfectly safe, but needed to pull strings along the way to make movement possible. I few in and out of Beirut airport during the 1974 war, when the airport was being bombed regularly. This summer, I was on a Ukrainian civilian ship that was buzzed at low altitude by armed Russian fighters while skirting the shore of Russian occupied Crimea, but nobody on the ship seemed alarmed.

I arrived on after-dark buses and made my way to unknown hotels in San Pedro Sula (the murder capital of the world) and Medellin (when its urban terrorism was at its notorious worst). I gassed up my car at 2 am in downtown Detroit, surrounded by bombed out buildings in 1968. None of this makes me an Indiana Jones, I just have a faith that human civilization will prevail even when there are extremists on the fringe filling the perpetual need for lurid tabloid headlines. If they're going to get me, they'll find me in my bed at home, I live in a city that has had a couple of drive-by shootings and tomorrow I will ride the bus to WalMart with crazies and misfits who cannot be trusted to drive a car..

My wife, mentioned upthread intrepidly exploring late-night Istanbul, has been bitten by a shark and a poisonous snake. Those are not threats or risks, they are adventures. I bet most of you envy her.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-26-2015 at 04:43 PM..

Old 11-15-2015, 11:56 PM
 started this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
The classification for Vietnam is very weird; unless you are Chinese or look like Chinese, most tourists to Vietnam are really in no trouble at all; in fact, if a tourist keep a common sense, going to Vietnam is actually more safe than visiting some US cities.
Mutual feelings Vietnam deserves a very high travel safety ranking. Decades ago was totally a different story, or even less than one decade ago, and now modern times finally a bright optimistic sign of progress and evolution somewhere in the World rather than the other way around with degeneration unfortunately happening elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World