Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:08 PM

52 posts, read 56,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Lol.
  • What things banned do you want to get unbanned?
  • How much do you make a year? Here if you earn a million a year, you pay 56.3% in income taxes. If you earn 35k a year, you pay 28.7%.
  • What economical or social aspects are super regulated? We have among the most free markets in the world and the highest social mobility
  • What do you mean with freedom? What freedoms do we not have?
  • What uncontrolled acceptance of refugees?
  • Source for these bombs exploding?
Number of people seeking asylum (of which roughly 50% gets accepted):

We are not. Our birth rates are much higher than in Southern and Eastern Europe:

Wow, someone got offended, LOL.

What things are banned and regulated? Everything is banned in Sweden. They're the most paternalistic country in the west. They have one of the most strict drug policies in the western world (you can pretty much get up to 6 months just for being high), over-taxed alcohol, banned many types of "unhealthy" food, prostitution (crazy Nordic model making things much worse), not to mention that you can't rent a place (apt) because of statist regulations and waiting lists. What uncontrolled acceptance or refugees? Are you kidding me? Bunch of unintegrated muslims in Swedish city suburbs. Rape wave and crime on a rise (google it up). There's no society as segregated as Swedish. Norway is not much better, and yes, Finland IS better, but Finland alone is not majority of Scandinavia. Granades? Just google it up (mostly in Malmo), it will show up easily. I mean why are you even asking me these kind of questions? You're ether trolling or you're super uninformed about your own region. These are pretty well known facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 10:23 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
You forget that I spent the better part of more than half a decade in my career, trying to get Canadians (especially English Canadians) interested in Canadian stuff and measuring and analysing their interest in it.

The issue isn't so much the lack of quality of the stuff that's produced, but rather the level of interest from the average person, which tends to be quite low (though there are occasionally exceptions).

I sincerely wish that wasn't the case, even if you don't believe me.
Its not that I don't believe you AJ, I just don't think you have a full awareness of the interest many of us have in Canadian produced English language content.. If there was no interest or demand it simply wouldn't be produced. I wouldn't say the content is consumed as much as the American cultural juggernaut productions but i'm just not quite as far on the other side of the spectrum as you are in terms where you think Canadian interest in Canadian content being so low. Its probably further across the spectrum than you observe but that is my opinion.. Besides AJ, I know what the heck I watch and I definitely consume Canadian produced content in the English language and I enjoy it! I'm not the only one either.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:33 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Canada by a few notches.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:11 AM

Australia has legalized prostitution, and Canada has introduced Nordic model. If this represents other aspects of society, I can only say I'm leaning more towards Australian liberalism.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:17 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Canada is also more politically correct and reserved than Australia. Australians tend to be more outspoken. This means that you're more likely to hear non-PC (and therefore illiberal) things out on the streets in Australia than in Canada. This isn't always indicative of liberalism overall in society though, as many Canadians may think illiberal things but simply keep that to themselves. But for some people it's important to not hear such things out in the open. The cover kept tightly on the boiling pot, so to speak.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Canada is also more politically correct and reserved than Australia. Australians tend to be more outspoken. This means that you're more likely to hear non-PC (and therefore illiberal) things out on the streets in Australia than in Canada. This isn't always indicative of liberalism overall in society though, as many Canadians may think illiberal things but simply keep that to themselves. But for some people it's important to not hear such things out in the open. The cover kept tightly on the boiling pot, so to speak.
Non-PC means LIBERAL.

When I say liberal, I mean classical liberal or (cultural) libertarian. FREE. Just look at the semantics of the word. Liberal in a sense of not being annoyed by the rules, "musts" and "shoulds" (nether conservative or pseudo-"liberal"/progressive).

How can strict economy regulation be seen as a liberal thing? How can semantics "fascism" (PCness) be seen as a liberal thing? There's nothing liberal about (post)modern pseudo-"liberalism".

Old 10-30-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual Leader View Post
Non-PC means LIBERAL.

When I say liberal, I mean classical liberal or (cultural) libertarian. FREE. Just look at the semantics of the word. Liberal in a sense of not being annoyed by the rules, "musts" and "shoulds" (nether conservative or pseudo-"liberal"/progressive).

How can strict economy regulation be seen as a liberal thing? How can semantics "fascism" (PCness) be seen as a liberal thing? There's nothing liberal about (post)modern pseudo-"liberalism".
OK, I understand there is a bit of confusion on here with definitions. I guess I am too used to discussions with Americans on City-Data... For Americans liberal = progressive/left wing (to some degree).

In Canada I wouldn't use the term "liberal" that much in such discussions and if used, it's more "Liberal" and refers to the political party by that name which is fairly centrist in the Canadian political context. Sometimes a bit more to the left, sometimes a bit more to the right.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:20 AM

Quote:
OK, I understand there is a bit of confusion on here with definitions. I guess I am too used to discussions with Americans on City-Data... For Americans liberal = progressive/left wing (to some degree).

In Canada I wouldn't use the term "liberal" that much in such discussions and if used, it's more "Liberal" and refers to the political party by that name which is fairly centrist in the Canadian political context. Sometimes a bit more to the left, sometimes a bit more to the right.
So, what would be seen as European/Classical/Libertarian "liberal" in Canada?

Old 10-30-2015, 09:23 AM

Btw do you know about Lauren Southern? She's a cool Canadian Like her a lot.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiritual Leader View Post
So, what would be seen as European/Classical/Libertarian "liberal" in Canada?
I don't think anything fits at the moment. The outgoing PM Stephen Harper thought himself as a classical liberal and his party also had some similarities in outlook with the American Republicans (though not necessarily on the extreme fringes of the American GOP like the Tea Party).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World