Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 04:16 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times

Advertisements

(all puns intended)

I've been driving the F-250 all week end on ops and especially when you are driving one, you realize how many pickups there are on the western roads.

But do those outside the US understand the need to have a pick up, be it the first or second car? Further, while one might feel "inferior" when they see a Volvo or a BMW or a Cadillac on the road, there is the simple fact that.............it is a $40K, at least, truck.

So do others outside the US understand why we have pick ups or......is that just another odd thing that the colonists, errrrrr, Americans do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2015, 05:29 PM

189 posts, read 153,407 times
isis love pickem up trucks, of the Toyota variety. . . just saying...

Seen a lot of pick up trucks while in Africa, and Northern Europe. I never even felt that those outside of the US
ever had any reason to question while we have them.. unless they were city dwellers. Then you cant expect them to understand why we drive them in the first place.. But they sure become your best friend when they need that couch moved .

Old 11-09-2015, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackParow View Post
isis love pickem up trucks, of the Toyota variety. . . just saying...

Seen a lot of pick up trucks while in Africa, and Northern Europe. I never even felt that those outside of the US
ever had any reason to question while we have them.. unless they were city dwellers. Then you cant expect them to understand why we drive them in the first place.. But they sure become your best friend when they need that couch moved .
True enough.....on all angles.

But to the last one, mostly I find that is not quite true when so many people do have pick ups. Mostly for I have had two recent situations, one where others might have wanted my pickup, and where my pickup was needed.

In the first with our recent wild fires, I gently put the word out to a friend, to my Vet, that I did have a prime mover that could haul trailers.......but I don't the details of trailer towing. So here was the truck but whoever in need would have to provide the details, just like I have land that could be used for emergency animal placement......but I don't know the details about grazing animals, another would have to provide such.

The other situation was this weekend where the primary truck, an F150, wasn't available for hauling scuba gear, so I offered up my truck to haul such, as well as the camping/cookout gear. It went over well and as I said in https://www.city-data.com/forum/house...ges-great.html , being able to unload the gear for the night and load it back up the next morning made it a lot easier (than when I lived in an apartment).

About the only thing I think "they" might see between the pickups from the rest of the world is the size........although it seems they do a pretty good job in maximizing the carrying capacity in some of those pictures from Africa.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:07 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Never heard a European comment on Americans and pickup trucks ever. I think the real problem is that Americans are totally obsessed with the idea that the people in the rest of the world are talking about them endlessly.

They aren't. They have lives: spouses, kids, jobs, friends, taxes, health problem....real lives. I almost never hear Americans or their supposed habits commented on.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Never heard a European comment on Americans and pickup trucks ever. I think the real problem is that Americans are totally obsessed with the idea that the people in the rest of the world are talking about them endlessly.

They aren't. They have lives: spouses, kids, jobs, friends, taxes, health problem....real lives. I almost never hear Americans or their supposed habits commented on.
Not even in Norway?

Actually, there is that rumor "going around" that in some locations of the world, they think that some parts of the US, people still ride horses all the time, perhaps with a six shooter on our hip. At least, a few decades back........or was that just a rumor us Americans started to satisfy our urge to think everyone was talking about us?

Old 11-09-2015, 10:49 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,244,282 times
Pickups are more for rural areas, where their design purpose is as a work/cargo vehicle. In less-developed and/or more rural parts of the world pickups and off-road SUVs are more common. In more developed nations, especially older civilizations where roads are old and narrow and where gas is expensive, pickups are more rare, smaller, and generally used only for commercial purposes. The Toyota Tacoma is considered "mid-sized" here, but is marketed globally as "full-size" elsewhere (called the Toyota Hilux), complete with 3/4 and 1-ton versions.

I believe the US is the only country where people routinely use massive full-size crew-cab pickups as luxury passenger vehicles, but even then it's mainly in the rural areas. You'd be hard pressed to find a Ford King Ranch Super Crew in a parking garage in Manhattan, but you'll probably see them daily in rural Texas.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:01 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Not even in Norway?

Actually, there is that rumor "going around" that in some locations of the world, they think that some parts of the US, people still ride horses all the time, perhaps with a six shooter on our hip.
You don't?

Old 11-09-2015, 04:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
I believe the US is the only country where people routinely use massive full-size crew-cab pickups as luxury passenger vehicles, but even then it's mainly in the rural areas. You'd be hard pressed to find a Ford King Ranch Super Crew in a parking garage in Manhattan, but you'll probably see them daily in rural Texas.
NYC tends to use vans as cargo and delivery vehicles, pick-ups aren't used that much as work vehicles. Full-size pickup trucks aren't that commonly used as luxury vehicles in the Northeast — rich suburbs will some full-size SUVs which are kinda the same thing; rural areas generally buy cheaper pick-ups if they're going to buy them.

Latin America uses pick-ups even more than the US, and have a more upscale image. For example, Ford's Lincoln Mark LT is only sold and produced in Mexico, used to be sold and manufactured in the US and Canada as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincol...2.80.932014.29

Old 11-09-2015, 04:30 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I wish the World Forum would have threads about the rest of the world rather than discussing the US.

Old 11-09-2015, 06:04 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,759 times
Personally, I think it's a bit tacky to drive a pickup truck, if you don't really need one. I feel the same about people driving a BMW X6 in a city or someone driving a Porsche GT3 in a country where you are only allowed to go around 100km/h.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
or was that just a rumor us Americans started to satisfy our urge to think everyone was talking about us?
Probably that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World