Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 05:07 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisstrack View Post
Carthage.
Any country ruled by a rich elite that needs cheap labour, mercenaries, slaves, US and Rome for instance.
Carthage and Rome aren't countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 05:33 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
These are tiny urbanized countries. Singapore or Hong Kong or Monaco type places can't be compared to U.S. or Germany or Canada type places. They often have a high proportion of foreigners simply by common logic. Monaco is basically a square mile, and could not exist without French people.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
These are tiny urbanized countries. Singapore or Hong Kong or Monaco type places can't be compared to U.S. or Germany or Canada type places. They often have a high proportion of foreigners simply by common logic. Monaco is basically a square mile, and could not exist without French people.
I wouldn't call Jordan, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Oman tiny.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:43 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,343,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I wouldn't call Jordan, Saudi Arabia, UAE and Oman tiny.
Population wise, they are rather small, or sparse.

I mean, you can list any countries. To me, though, it seems kind of self evident that, say, Luxembourg will have a higher proportion of foreign nationals than, say, Germany. It doesn't mean that Luxembourg looks and feels more diverse, it just means it has tiny national limits, so someone from 20 km away is a foreigner, but in Kansas someone from 2000 km away is still a countryman.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:00 AM

134 posts, read 162,377 times
Quote:
Population wise, they are rather small, or sparse.

I mean, you can list any countries. To me, though, it seems kind of self evident that, say, Luxembourg will have a higher proportion of foreign nationals than, say, Germany. It doesn't mean that Luxembourg looks and feels more diverse, it just means it has tiny national limits, so someone from 20 km away is a foreigner, but in Kansas someone from 2000 km away is still a countryman.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:08 AM

134 posts, read 162,377 times
These were the top biggest sources of immigrants to the USA in 2014

1. China
2. India
3. Mexico
4. Philipines
5. Vietnam

From a continental level:

1. Asia
(the largest number of immigrants to the US come from here and continues to grow very fast)

2. North America (Mexico, Canada, Caribbean and Central America)
(second largest source but declining)

4. Africa
(has been growing steadily)

5. Europe
(Used to be the biggest source but has been steadily declining)

6. South America
(South American countries have never been a significant source of immigrants to the US)

7. Australia and Pacific Islands
(The least immigrant source)

This is the source:
Migration Policy Institute | migrationpolicy.org

Old 11-17-2015, 08:22 AM

653 posts, read 744,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Antigua & Barbuda
Liechtenstein
Jordan
Saudi Arabia
Kuwait
Brunei
Hong Kong

Thanks. I am okay to add them to my rapidly growing list for all of them except Jordan, Brunei and Hong Kong.

I just came back from Jordan govt census website and it shows around 240,000 foreigners legally working in Jordan, out of a population of around 6 million plus or so. Doesn't really hit 30%. The actual number could be higher, but it would need a multiply of around 7 times of the official figure. Could be possible but it would be a statistical blunder of incredible magnitude.

I earlier did some research in Brunei; a bit more tricky, out of a population of 415,000, 20% are non-locals. That is below 30%. However, the remaining 80% consist of (a) official Brunei citizenship, whom are around 70%, and (B) the remaining 10% comes from "Stateless permanent residents" given International Certificates of Identity, whom tend to be local Chinese whom grew up there. For now, i am taking them as locals.

Hong Kong is even more trickier; however, I earlier ruled out Hong Kong for my research project, mainly for it is not a country. I went to the official government website and it was pretty opaque; if we count Hong Kongers as anyone whom possess a Hong Kong Identity Card, less than 10% of the population counts as non-locals. Bit if we look at those whom solely possess a Hong Kong Passport, the number gets a lot trickier, because the figures simply aren't there; because many Hong Kongers left after 1997 and thus, hold Canadian/Australian passports, but eventually returned to Hong Kong but did not apply for the Hong Kong passport.

Old 11-17-2015, 08:24 AM

653 posts, read 744,042 times
Quote:
Good point; I will include that as well.

Old 11-17-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerbalm1985 View Post
Thanks. I am okay to add them to my rapidly growing list for all of them except Jordan, Brunei and Hong Kong.

I just came back from Jordan govt census website and it shows around 240,000 foreigners legally working in Jordan, out of a population of around 6 million plus or so. Doesn't really hit 30%. The actual number could be higher, but it would need a multiply of around 7 times of the official figure. Could be possible but it would be a statistical blunder of incredible magnitude.
Nearly 1.5 million foreigners in Jordan work there ilegally.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:01 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,838,322 times
Latvia and Estonia, 38% and 30% respectively.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World