Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 10:21 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
I drink but I don't think drinking alcohol should be permitted by law. That's why I think Islamic world is more mature than the rest of the world in this regard.

Why do cigarettes and alcohol exist when they cause more harm than good?
They exist because they are addictive and people make money of them. When cigarettes were introduced, it was not known that they are harmful.

Alcohol exists because it is addictive, intoxicating and gives you a good time in moderation. You need to losen up, once in a while. Don't you?
The US passed the 18th Constitutional amendment back in the 1920s, which banned the usage and the sell of any alcohol, also widely known as the Prohibition era. The ban resulted in a rampant black market, severe organised crimes, prevalent corruption amongst government officials and police force, and a jaw-dropping homicide rate. Once the ban was lifted in the 30s, the homicide rate dropped significantly, went back to normal.

You sound as if you're from some alcohol-clean country, when the reality is that Japan, along with Korea, are bar none the most alcoholic countries in Asia (sans Russia).

Say goodbye to the reputation of being the safest country in the world if Japan goes nuts and bans alcohol altogether.

Last edited by Greysholic; 11-30-2015 at 10:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2015, 10:39 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu
I left mine to live permanently in another country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Falcon View Post
In what country are you living? What were the main factors that atraccted you to there?...
I am living in Portugal.

I had considered several countries in Europe and Central and South America, with a checklist of what I wanted and didn't want, and Brazil had been high on the list in many respects. I had a younger cousin who had moved there, lived in Rio de Janeiro and had made a very successful life for himself there, and his presence clinched the deal. Unfortunately he suddenly sickened and died of an aggressive and unusual cancer. This cancelled my plans because at sixty-one and somewhat handicapped I did not feel that attempting Brazil on my own was necessarily a good choice.

Aside from satisfying many things on my wish list, a big factor had been that Portuguese was the only foreign language in which I had a modest speaking and a fairly high reading ability. This meant that I would not go through a period where English was my only operating language, and I could get into daily life more easily and not be dependent on English-speakers and should feel less isolated. Being completely on my own, and having zero desire to live in an English-speaking ex-pat ghetto, the language now seemed like a major factor.

Given other things on my wish list, Portugal was the most logical next choice. Portugal lacked the ugly political atmosphere that poisons the U.S., religion was not a big factor in political and social life, the history of the country since the Revolution of the Carnations was stable enough, racism was not a constant in-your-face social or political problem.

The climate in the south was appealing, the fact that a mixture of Europeans lived in the south in addition to the Portuguese was a plus, the infrastructure was developed enough and well enough functioning not to appear daunting, it was affordable for me, it was beautiful and with a rich history, and it would allow me to travel to other quite different countries at a modest cost and in a short amount of time.

And I liked the Portuguese people I knew and had come in contact with, and I thought the society and culture of the country functioned at a far pleasanter and more laid back level than that of the U.S. - I did not want to live in a fractured, contentious society. (There is an irony that in my neighborhood the people I have the most contact with and the most conversation with in Portuguese are all Brazilian immigrants. As that was the sotaque I learned I continue to find it the easiest to understand.)

I have not been disappointed. I genuinely love my town, and am very, very happy to be living among the Portuguese.

Last edited by kevxu; 11-30-2015 at 10:50 AM..

Old 11-30-2015, 03:09 PM

290 posts, read 570,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
USA, I like having a passport that makes travel easy. And it is a great treasure to have been born in an English-speaking country, so I would not need to learn it as a second language.

USA is a very easy country to live in without needing to have a high-wage job. I don't think I could improve my lifestyle very much by going to another country. I strongly disagree with America's political objectives and the use of its influence to Americanize the rest of the world, but America would do that without me, too, so it doesn't matter, and (since I am white and smart) I can ignore the realities around me and turn my indignation on and off as it suits me. The various radicals squawking on both ends don't affect my life enough to be much bothered by it. Yet.

I don't think there is any country that I could not learn to live in with ease and comfort on my meager pension, and I have lived in several third world countries. And maybe I will again some day. I like the former Soviet republics that I've seen, if I had to move today, I would aim for that part of the world. Moldova or Georgia or Kyrgyzstan.

What do you like about Moldova? Please do tell because im considering joining the US peace corps Moldova mission and i would have to live there for almost 2 and a half years. I have only lived in California and Spain but i been to many countries including the 3rd world.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:29 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,434,327 times
Very cool, kevxu!!

I've never been there, but I also love Portugal!!!

Maybe you can find a good brazilian that wants to receive one more there!!!

Old 11-30-2015, 04:39 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,897,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Quote:

I am living in Portugal.

I had considered several countries in Europe and Central and South America, with a checklist of what I wanted and didn't want, and Brazil had been high on the list in many respects. I had a younger cousin who had moved there, lived in Rio de Janeiro and had made a very successful life for himself there, and his presence clinched the deal. Unfortunately he suddenly sickened and died of an aggressive and unusual cancer. This cancelled my plans because at sixty-one and somewhat handicapped I did not feel that attempting Brazil on my own was necessarily a good choice.

Aside from satisfying many things on my wish list, a big factor had been that Portuguese was the only foreign language in which I had a modest speaking and a fairly high reading ability. This meant that I would not go through a period where English was my only operating language, and I could get into daily life more easily and not be dependent on English-speakers and should feel less isolated. Being completely on my own, and having zero desire to live in an English-speaking ex-pat ghetto, the language now seemed like a major factor.

Given other things on my wish list, Portugal was the most logical next choice. Portugal lacked the ugly political atmosphere that poisons the U.S., religion was not a big factor in political and social life, the history of the country since the Revolution of the Carnations was stable enough, racism was not a constant in-your-face social or political problem.

The climate in the south was appealing, the fact that a mixture of Europeans lived in the south in addition to the Portuguese was a plus, the infrastructure was developed enough and well enough functioning not to appear daunting, it was affordable for me, it was beautiful and with a rich history, and it would allow me to travel to other quite different countries at a modest cost and in a short amount of time.

And I liked the Portuguese people I knew and had come in contact with, and I thought the society and culture of the country functioned at a far pleasanter and more laid back level than that of the U.S. - I did not want to live in a fractured, contentious society. (There is an irony that in my neighborhood the people I have the most contact with and the most conversation with in Portuguese are all Brazilian immigrants. As that was the sotaque I learned I continue to find it the easiest to understand.)

I have not been disappointed. I genuinely love my town, and am very, very happy to be living among the Portuguese.

Your story is inspiring I sometimes think about retiring there I plan on working another 10-15 years at most and it crosses my mind to retire in Portugal but have no clue where.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:42 PM

290 posts, read 570,162 times
Im a Californian living in Spain and I Love it. I can easily see my life here. Plus as a Hispanic American I really like living in a Hispanic majority nation where everyone is also a Catholic. Plus my family a long time ago was from here so it Definitely feels like home. Plus i like what the Spanish State stands for and does in the world way more then California and/or America. As an American oveeseas, I feel you have to explain to people the doings of the USA with alot more frequency and I cant always back up US Foreign policy positions. Also I dont really identify too much with the majority Anglo Saxon population and culture.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:57 PM

7,501 posts, read 6,290,442 times
French living in Italy.

Aside from the economic / job issues, it is pretty great overall.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:47 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Quote:

I am living in Portugal.

Nice post. So being 61, did you retire there? What was the process involved with moving?

I have an interest in leaving the US, but I am of working age which seems to make the move much more difficult.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:59 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goonzy View Post
Im a Californian living in Spain and I Love it. I can easily see my life here. Plus as a Hispanic American I really like living in a Hispanic majority nation where everyone is also a Catholic. Plus my family a long time ago was from here so it Definitely feels like home. Plus i like what the Spanish State stands for and does in the world way more then California and/or America. As an American oveeseas, I feel you have to explain to people the doings of the USA with alot more frequency and I cant always back up US Foreign policy positions. Also I dont really identify too much with the majority Anglo Saxon population and culture.
I love Spain too and felt that the culture was very similar to the way I was raised- my family celebrates life to the fullest with family and friends. I would love to live there.

Many things in American culture frustrate me.

Old 05-10-2016, 08:50 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,473,841 times
I like many things about America but I do get frustrated with the way our culture celebrates over indulgence - whether it's eating too much every meal, owning a house that is huge and has a 3 acre yard that requires owning a riding lawn mower, huge pickup trucks, etc. It's also acceptable to be woefully ignorant of history, geography, and geopolitics. For example my wife had a college class where she was the only person out of 30 who knew what continent Egypt was on. That would be shameful in other countries at a 5th grade level, here it's considered normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World