Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 01:58 PM

20 posts, read 17,236 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I am from terrible middle east ( Iran) where Islamic culture rules out our lives, making such "harsh" and "insecure vibe".
Here is a list of what's going on here (P.S: More culture oriented, rather than focusing on politics):

1. When you enter a shopping, for say, Cell phone shops, you see a bodybuilding champion! as salesman who has next to zero tolerance for answering your cell-phones-based questions.

2. When you walk down the streets to enjoy your street hiking, you encounter fight-mongering people (specially male youth at age range 18-30) who know nothing but waxing muscles at clubs to make themselves scary. (It's an honor to have a wrestler broken ears in Iran plus having knife stitches/scars on your face!)

3. When you attend a sport stadium, you will be holding you breathe during a match, since the slightest mistake towards the others could easily cause a fight! ( Even gazing at them for 5+ seconds!!)

4. When you want to marry a girl, you are likely going to have to spend 2 years of hard work on wedding and post-wedding costs. ( Not to mention this waste breaking alimony when a divorce comes due, and if you fail to pay, you are put in jail for years!!). Even a downright marriage is scary. marriage which is meant to bring solace and happiness, is a sword of democles hovering over your head!

While in contrary in non-islamic countries, the above examples are as below:
1. When you enter a shopping, you see a salesman with big smile who'll not hesitate to take time to meet all your questions. (Bodybuilding is not a factor, only a responsibility and good manner matters)

2. When you walk down a street, you can wear a T-shirt and a baseball hat and push forward a pram along with your wife with ease of mind. (No leering fool to scrutinize your girlfriend's sex apeal or catcall her)

3. When you attend a sport stadium, you will get to see nice people who are there to ONLY enjoy a match. (Not a masculine dangerous vibe, since the females are also there)

4. When you marry a girl, you have had your time with her to develope love, to avoid a pig in poke Islamic marriage in which couples are not allowed to date before getting married. (alimony is almost nothing in non-islamic countries).

Bottom line: I am living in this harsh Islamic vibe, hoping to take off here real soon. I also applied for US student visa but flunked it 2 times in a row, so I am giving up re-applying it.

So many efforts,energies and precious time were put to improve my language, getting my visa thing done,...., but were all down the drain and yet, I am trapped in this Islamic vibe for 29 grey years. Maybe finding a new country and staring a new language all over again could cure, I don't know. Heaven help me
(Feels like Metallica music video unforgiven 1, in broad strokes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 02:27 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Which countries do you envy? What makes you think those countries are Christian? I live in California and go weeks without hearing anyone speak about religion other than on TV or reading about it on the internet.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:34 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iranianguy View Post
(No leering fool to scrutinize your girlfriend's sex apeal or catcall her)
You poor naive man...
You can bet they will scrutinize her sex appeal.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
Which countries do you envy? What makes you think those countries are Christian? I live in California and go weeks without hearing anyone speak about religion other than on TV or reading about it on the internet.
Anywhere with open minded people plus liberated government. Not Islam-struck adament guys with brains ful of hatreds.
Take USA for instance, people are really easy going and totally open minded. I picture an American lad who feels free to buckle up his girlfriend to walk around the streets without much worring about guys laying eyes on his girlfriend or catcall her.
People can loosen up and enjoy their lives in US, while in Iran, there is always something to put you under the stress. And this is what Islamic culture is made of.

Old 12-06-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
You poor naive man...
You can bet they will scrutinize her sex appeal.
Since Islamic Hijab is mandatory by our regime, (meaning that women have to dress thier bodies up), A woman wearing tights or attractive dress or make up is suceptible to hear cat calls all the times. (This has literally put a sizable amount of depression and stresses on women in my country)
This vibe is the baddest beyond belief. Socially, Econimically and politically, my people are under presures. And so am I. That's the part of why I'd wish I wasn't born Iranian.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:01 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:
Anywhere with open minded people plus liberated government. Not Islam-struck adament guys with brains ful of hatreds.
Take USA for instance, people are really easy going and totally open minded. I picture an American lad who feels free to buckle up his girlfriend to walk around the streets without much worring about guys laying eyes on his girlfriend or catcall her.
People can loosen up and enjoy their lives in US, while in Iran, there is always something to put you under the stress. And this is what Islamic culture is made of.
Actually there are part of the US that are somewhat backward on their outlook on many social issues by US standards. There are parts of the US also where catcalling isn't unusual particularly in some urban areas. It is inaccurate to generalize some parts of the US are nice and other parts really suck according to my standards. But overall no-one would even notice you out with your girlfriend in California.

Iranians I would say integrate well in the US compared to people from other Islamic cultures. But I have only met educated Iranians I'm sure that makes a difference.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:06 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,127,148 times
I understand that things aren't equal, but this side is also dealing with it's own problems that put women under stress and fear. I've heard of Spanish women that go with their keys between their fingers if they have to walk alone at night just in case they need to use it for self-defense. I myself had a scary encounter with two men... Right at the door of my own home.

Just... Don't idealize the USA or any other country ^,^'

Old 12-06-2015, 03:16 PM

144 posts, read 206,481 times
"While in non-islamic country blabla "

Waow ! I didn't know you have been in all the "muslims countries".

What's happening in Iran is not always happening in all the other countries, you know.

I agree for some things like the football, the weeding costs.
But the stuffs about shopping and t-shirt and baseball hat .... never heard about that.

Old 12-06-2015, 03:32 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Hey guys, I am from terrible middle east ( Iran) where Islamic culture rules out our lives, making such "harsh" and "insecure vibe".
Here is a list of what's going on here (P.S: More culture oriented, rather than focusing on politics):

1. When you enter a shopping, for say, Cell phone shops, you see a bodybuilding champion! as salesman who has next to zero tolerance for answering your cell-phones-based questions.

2. When you walk down the streets to enjoy your street hiking, you encounter fight-mongering people (specially male youth at age range 18-30) who know nothing but waxing muscles at clubs to make themselves scary. (It's an honor to have a wrestler broken ears in Iran plus having knife stitches/scars on your face!)

3. When you attend a sport stadium, you will be holding you breathe during a match, since the slightest mistake towards the others could easily cause a fight! ( Even gazing at them for 5+ seconds!!)

4. When you want to marry a girl, you are likely going to have to spend 2 years of hard work on wedding and post-wedding costs. ( Not to mention this waste breaking alimony when a divorce comes due, and if you fail to pay, you are put in jail for years!!). Even a downright marriage is scary. marriage which is meant to bring solace and happiness, is a sword of democles hovering over your head!

While in contrary in non-islamic countries, the above examples are as below:
1. When you enter a shopping, you see a salesman with big smile who'll not hesitate to take time to meet all your questions. (Bodybuilding is not a factor, only a responsibility and good manner matters)

2. When you walk down a street, you can wear a T-shirt and a baseball hat and push forward a pram along with your wife with ease of mind. (No leering fool to scrutinize your girlfriend's sex apeal or catcall her)

3. When you attend a sport stadium, you will get to see nice people who are there to ONLY enjoy a match. (Not a masculine dangerous vibe, since the females are also there)

4. When you marry a girl, you have had your time with her to develope love, to avoid a pig in poke Islamic marriage in which couples are not allowed to date before getting married. (alimony is almost nothing in non-islamic countries).

Bottom line: I am living in this harsh Islamic vibe, hoping to take off here real soon. I also applied for US student visa but flunked it 2 times in a row, so I am giving up re-applying it.

So many efforts,energies and precious time were put to improve my language, getting my visa thing done,...., but were all down the drain and yet, I am trapped in this Islamic vibe for 29 grey years. Maybe finding a new country and staring a new language all over again could cure, I don't know. Heaven help me
(Feels like Metallica music video unforgiven 1, in broad strokes)
You can thank Arabs for all that.
Obviously.

Old 12-06-2015, 08:16 PM

4,096 posts, read 3,719,938 times
Why do people in the politically correct West get so uppity when someone from another country/culture expresses their opinion and experiences.

By all means have a challenging debate with the person if you strongly feel contrary to his/her views but don't just shut it down and and prohibit it like some police state!

Personally I find the OP's comments interesting although I can comment on many flaws in western culture - idealization is never a good idea as it's not reality!

This thread reminds me of a video of a group of young Iranian students, one of which expressed the same feeling towards very conservative Islamic culture. Most of the time its not the religion but human interpretation and lure of power of the religion that creates a burden to society.

How about Lebanon or Jordan? Aren't they a little bit more liberal?

Last edited by Rozenn; 12-07-2015 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Orphaned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World