Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2016, 11:53 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,651,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTDominion View Post
The threads answer your question.
What threads? We're discussing what you claimed in this thread. You're not being serious, i'm going to take the advice of the mods and report you.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:00 PM

969 posts, read 825,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
no need to produce evidence that it applies to the military.
Does Montesquieu allude to the military in his thesis? If not, then the burden of proof is on you, sorry.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
What threads? We're discussing what you claimed in this thread. You're not being serious, i'm going to take the advice of the mods and report you.
I remember from the Brexit thread you had trouble seeing hyperlinks. Let me try again:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-congress.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-tyrant-2.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...offense-5.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...na-king-8.html

Old 07-23-2016, 12:30 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Correct.
And yet you still can't know what you think you know.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:32 PM

Quote:
That's not an answer to the question Gentoo posed, and it's also a complete non-sequitur, and betrays a fundamental misunderstanding of how US government works.

The doctrine of Separation of Powers is not rigid and absolute, it's flexible. Your quotation above doesn't need to mention the military. The military is an agency of government that follows orders, not a branch of government that gives orders. You need to understand the distinction.

Your quotation doesn't mention lots of other government functions either, but that doesn't prevent the doctrine from applying to them. Just because its not in your quotation.........

The President has veto power over legislation. Congress can refuse to fund a Presidential request. The President and Congress can agree on a law, but only SCOTUS gets to say what the law actually means, and can strike it down if appropriate, unlike in the UK where Parliament is sovereign, and the courts much less powerful.
Thank you for decoding that and the great response. I could not figure out where he was going with that.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
And yet you still can't know what you think you know.
So, when all else fails, resort to obfuscation?

What you're probably confusing with separation of powers (which is specific to the structure of government) is the principle of delegation, which, though a different concept, does apply to the US military.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
The kind of claims you mention, such as: "My papa is in the military and he says so", is anecdote. This is not really the same thing as "experience" (by which I presume you actually mean being a recognized authority on the subject).
That is not what I said LOL wow.

As CBMD said and I alluded to earlier, you just can't seem to get a grasp on how US government actually works. When I mentioned earlier that you cannot learn everything from reading the internet, your response about the separation of powers not mentioning the military proves that. No matter what you say or what you are able to read on the internet, this reality will not change. Believe what you want about a military coup from your UK perspective all you want. The reality is what it is and it makes no sense for me to argue with you over anymore. Your backhanded person almost attacks ( having trouble with hyperlinks, your papa was military etc.) are enough proof that you need to fill the space and attempt to attack the person posting rather than the content of their post.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
So, when all else fails, resort to obfuscation?

What you're probably confusing with separation of powers (which is specific to the structure of government) is the principle of delegation, which, though a different concept, does apply to the US military.
You've done this before. Resorting to accusations of confusion and picking apart the post rather than actually responding.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
That is not what I said LOL wow.

As CBMD said and I alluded to earlier, you just can't seem to get a grasp on how US government actually works. When I mentioned earlier that you cannot learn everything from reading the internet, your response about the separation of powers not mentioning the military proves that. No matter what you say or what you are able to read on the internet, this reality will not change. Believe what you want about a military coup from your UK perspective all you want. The reality is what it is and it makes no sense for me to argue with you over anymore. Your backhanded person almost attacks ( having trouble with hyperlinks, your papa was military etc.) are enough proof that you need to fill the space and attempt to attack the person posting rather than the content of their post.
Sorry old friend, but you'll need to do better than this.

If I reference a Cornell University summation of the Constitutional Law in this area and Montesquieu's thesis on which the doctrine is based, you need to give me more than "just so" claims and anecdotes in return if you want to be seen as convincing.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Sorry old friend, but you'll need to do better than this.

If I reference a Cornell University summation of the Constitutional Law in this area and Montesquieu's thesis on which the doctrine is based, you need to give me more than "just so" claims and anecdotes in return if you want to be seen as convincing.
Still doesn't negate what I said.

Anyway, we are WAAAAAAAAY off topic here so let's get back to what non Americans (like yourself) think about Trump and why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.