Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 10:27 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,278,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
*Plan* = "definition" in this case)))
So according to this definition Iran would be part of Western Asia then?
No, not really. It would be considered "Vorderasien". But my apologies, perhaps the way I am trying to explain it was/is just making it more confusing. I mentioned Western Asia because most of the countries the UN considers part of Wester Asia are part of what is called "Vorderasien" but "Vorderasien" also includes Egypt* and Iran which to my knowledge are usually not part of "Western Asia".

To be frank I'm not sure why Germany (or german speaking countries) have different terms here and Vorderasien, Naher Osten and even Orient are all fairly similar when it comes to the countries these terms encompass.

But I guess to keep it simple with the original question. Yes Israel, Palestine, Saudi Arabia would all be considered Near East.

Also this might help:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naher_Osten

*Actually after googling it only Sinai is considered Vorderasien.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 10:57 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
No, not really. It would be considered "Vorderasien". But my apologies, perhaps the way I am trying to explain it was/is just making it more confusing. I mentioned Western Asia because most of the countries the UN considers part of Wester Asia are part of what is called "Vorderasien" but "Vorderasien" also includes Egypt* and Iran which to my knowledge are usually not part of "Western Asia".

To be frank I'm not sure why Germany (or german speaking countries) have different terms here and Vorderasien, Naher Osten and even Orient are all fairly similar when it comes to the countries these terms encompass.

But I guess to keep it simple with the original question. Yes Israel, Palestine, Saudi Arabia would all be considered Near East.

Also this might help:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naher_Osten

*Actually after googling it only Sinai is considered Vorderasien.
Gotcha.
So this is "Forderasien"

And this is Naher... well, Near East)))

Yes?

P.S. Sudan is included in the "Near East," but Caucasus is excluded - that's basically looks like the only difference?

Old 12-13-2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Gotcha.
So this is "Forderasien"

And this is Naher... well, Near East)))

Yes?

P.S. Sudan is included in the "Near East," but Caucasus is excluded - that's basically looks like the only difference?
Take the the Sudan out and I think that should be it, yes.

Old 12-13-2015, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Take the the Sudan out and I think that should be it, yes.
I see then "Naher Osten" is pretty much the same as "Middle East" in English Wikipedia)))) (Or did they include Caucasus here too? what's the heck..)

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...4/NearEast.png

P.S. You don't need to apologize, I was getting all confused already WITHOUT your explanations, because in Russian definition "Near East" and "Middle East" are somewhat different. So no wonder...)) After 20+ years of planning *to look into it* and forgetting about my plans, I am finally figuring it all out)))

Better later than never as they say.

Last edited by erasure; 12-14-2015 at 12:00 AM..

Old 12-14-2015, 12:03 AM

P.S. Nope, I take it back.
That pic above was "Near East,"

and this is "Middle East."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_East

So no Caucasus here.
But it's identical to German understanding of the "Near East."

Phew, finally)))

Old 12-14-2015, 12:11 AM

You (We) did it!

Old 12-14-2015, 12:57 AM

^
Hi five.
I am reading Russian Wiki then, and it looks like that German "Forderasien" ( whatever that means) is not all that unique, because Russians in their turn consider Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan as the "Middle East," and usually use "Middle East" in conjunction with the "Near East" - i.e... ( just a sec, I am looking at the list of the included countries here...
Huh! whaddayaknow - Russian understanding of the "Near East" is the same as your "Forderasien," Caucasus included))))

I hope I got it right))))

Old 12-14-2015, 01:38 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
As in that they are Islamic countries as well?
Because other than that I didn't find them to have too much in common with Arabs.
"Stans" really have some kind of a mixture between Asian and Persian population.
Their "lower class" looks more Asian ( as in "Oriental,") their "upper class" looks more Persian.
But no, they don't have anything common with Arabs.

Now Northern Caucasus on another hand... - yes, they remind of Arabs much more)))))

When I said they share "some traits" yes the Islamic religion that was brought to them by the sword is the big one. Being conquered by a different people will bring parts of its culture with it. Obviously the Iranians and Turkic people are not Arabs and do have a different culture. However the reason people do call that region part of the Middle east is because of the similarities that do exist.

Old 12-14-2015, 04:19 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Why do so many people here think Middle East equals Land of Arabs?

Anatolia, The Caucasus, The Fertile Crescent, The Arabian Peninsula and Western Iran are Near East

Eastern Iran and the Stans except for Eastern Pakistan are the Middle East.

Old 12-15-2015, 06:35 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
The Middle East:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World