Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 10:45 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,482,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I am surprised at Russia.
I'm not, it is known for its atheism. They tried REALLY hard to wipe religion out of Berlin in the section that they occupied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 03:39 AM

141 posts, read 148,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
The Orthodox influence holds a large support in Russia to the point that the government has put increasingly stricter measures towards minorities (such as the LGBT community). Russia's atheism is also a remnant of Soviet times and is quickly decreasing
I would have thought atheism is increasing there? Or at least the importance of religion is decreasing.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:43 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,823,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallol1 View Post
I would have thought atheism is increasing there? Or at least the importance of religion is decreasing.
Don't think so, religion seems on the surge in a large chunk of Eastern Europe (Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Belarus) as the Orthodox and Catholic church represented the opposition against the Soviet regime and are profiting from it. That said, the trend will probably reverse with the next generation if it hasn't already

Old 04-17-2016, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Don't think so, religion seems on the surge in a large chunk of Eastern Europe (Poland, Ukraine, Russia, Belarus) as the Orthodox and Catholic church represented the opposition against the Soviet regime and are profiting from it. That said, the trend will probably reverse with the next generation if it hasn't already
But by this surge do you mean the number of believers are increasing or the importance of religion is increasing, or both?

Old 04-17-2016, 04:17 AM

Quote:
But by this surge do you mean the number of believers are increasing or the importance of religion is increasing, or both?
Both but more the number of believers. For example, Poland has an extremely conservative Christian government now and even though the effect was probably more pronounced there due to having had a Polish in charge of the Catholic church for years, the importance of the church has increased almost anywhere east of what used to be the Iron Curtain post Soviet era.

Old 04-17-2016, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Both but more the number of believers. For example, Poland has an extremely conservative Christian government now and even though the effect was probably more pronounced there due to having had a Polish in charge of the Catholic church for years, the importance of the church has increased almost anywhere east of what used to be the Iron Curtain post Soviet era.
I see, interesting. So overall Christianity is on the rise in Eastern Europe and is declining in Western Europe.

I was surprised at Italy's percentage too. I think from when I was younger I've always had this image in my head that Italians are one of the more religious people in comparison to the rest of Europe .

Old 04-17-2016, 04:31 AM

Quote:
I see, interesting. So overall Christianity is on the rise in Eastern Europe and is declining in Western Europe.

I was surprised at Italy's percentage too. I think from when I was younger I've always had this image in my head that Italians are one of the more religious people in comparison to the rest of Europe .
No, we are for the most part cultural Christians. Churches are empty every day of the year except the Holy Week, Christmas Eve and weekends on May when First Communion occurs. The local Chuch councils has a hard time finding someone willing to take vows to the point where they have to bring them from abroad or just close churches

Old 04-17-2016, 04:34 AM

Quote:
No, we are for the most part cultural Christians. Churches are empty every day of the year except the Holy Week, Christmas Eve and weekends on May when First Communion occurs. The local Chuch councils has a hard time finding someone willing to take vows to the point where they have to bring them from abroad or just close churches
I see .

Old 04-17-2016, 07:22 AM

22 posts, read 38,687 times
So basically
The most religious to the least is as follows:

AFRICA
MIDDLE EAST
SOUTH ASIA
SOUTH EAST ASIA
NORTH AMERICA
SOUTH AMERICA
EUROPE
OCEANIA

Old 04-17-2016, 08:12 AM

10,656 posts, read 16,080,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashesqwanna View Post
So basically
The most religious to the least is as follows:

AFRICA
MIDDLE EAST
SOUTH ASIA
SOUTH EAST ASIA
NORTH AMERICA
SOUTH AMERICA
EUROPE
OCEANIA
I think overall South America is more religious than North America and the "Middle East" (Near East) more than Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World