Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2016, 08:17 AM
 
22 posts, read 38,779 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think overall South America is more religious than North America and the "Middle East" (Near East) more than Africa.
the graphic shows otherwise

I think south america is not that religious, they remind me of modern catholics in europe (just catholic because of tradition), while north Americans have a church in every corner and they invent religions (scientology, later day saints, southern baptists etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2016, 08:38 AM
 
Location: USA/Ethiopia
141 posts, read 148,620 times
Reputation: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
I think overall South America is more religious than North America and the "Middle East" (Near East) more than Africa.
I think it depends where you are in Africa or the Middle East
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Brazil
1,212 posts, read 1,446,885 times
Reputation: 650
Both are very much religious. And we create lots of religions too. Universal, Umbanda, etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2016, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands
10,672 posts, read 16,117,689 times
Reputation: 5291
Quote:
Originally Posted by shashesqwanna View Post
the graphic shows otherwise

I think south america is not that religious, they remind me of modern catholics in europe (just catholic because of tradition), while north Americans have a church in every corner and they invent religions (scientology, later day saints, southern baptists etc.)
Brazil:


Colombia:


Peru:


Peru:


Bolivia:


Argentina:


Argentina-Chile border:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 01:01 PM
 
Location: São Paulo, Brazil
1,736 posts, read 2,540,266 times
Reputation: 1340
Some eastern asians state that their religion are not religion in the proper sense of the word.
Thus, a lot of people in Japan is follower of Shinto, but they don't think it as a religion. Same for buddhism, same for Taoism/Confucianism in China, even because their doctrines are not centered in a god (or gods) and they are not necessarily contradictory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-18-2016, 02:03 PM
 
1,187 posts, read 1,386,184 times
Reputation: 1699
Hey Davy, what is your point with those pics?
Is it showing a bit of the Catholic tradition of South America or do you actually mean these countries are religious due to such sculptures?

If it's the first point, it's ok. If it's the second, I'd say that both things aren't necesarilly related. In fact, South America tends to be very secular, especially the Southern Cone. There are also many people who will say they are religious/catholic/christians, but they just have loose syncretic beliefs that more often than not don't have any implications in daily life, so I think the figures for the South American countries (and probably other continents too) are a bit overstated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,869 posts, read 10,571,999 times
Reputation: 5516
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
Hey Davy, what is your point with those pics?
Is it showing a bit of the Catholic tradition of South America or do you actually mean these countries are religious due to such sculptures?

If it's the first point, it's ok. If it's the second, I'd say that both things aren't necesarilly related. In fact, South America tends to be very secular, especially the Southern Cone. There are also many people who will say they are religious/catholic/christians, but they just have loose syncretic beliefs that more often than not don't have any implications in daily life, so I think the figures for the South American countries (and probably other continents too) are a bit overstated.
It also speaks to a history but not necessarily a present. Mount Royal in the centre of Montreal is crowned by a lighted cross and a Basilica with the largest dome in the world housing the relics of a local saint, so you'd assume from that it is a city where the Catholic church is very important and a prominent part of daily life, but that's what it was, not what it is now. Weekly church attendance in the province is single digits. What you see isn't always what you get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-19-2016, 10:16 PM
 
14,767 posts, read 17,186,335 times
Reputation: 20659
Quote:
Originally Posted by yueng-ling View Post
African countries are on the top, East Asian countries at the bottom. The US is in the middle.
yeah ~ some of those countries near the top, wouldn't have much choice in their answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
No surprises that Australia is near the bottom.
yep. I think the last stat I saw, was around 8% of Australians attend church regularly. With the census coming up, and listing "no religion" first, instead of last will be interesting (may even see a drop in "Jedi" responses) lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 01:54 AM
 
4 posts, read 3,711 times
Reputation: 14
As a Brazilian I can totally confirm Brazil is unfortunately very religious, even young people tend to place religion as a very important thing in their lives, the "Southern Cone"(Uruguay,Argentina,Chile) though from what I've been reading seems pretty secular, I saw another survey where they asked if it was necessary to believe in God to be moral and only 13% of Brazilians said it is not necessary believe in God to be moral, the only countries in South America where a majority agreed it was not necessary to believe in God to be moral were Argentina and Chile, Uruguay wasn't included in the survey, but I'm pretty sure the majority would also agree there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-21-2016, 05:55 AM
 
Location: Taipei
8,886 posts, read 8,521,684 times
Reputation: 7448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio SBA View Post
Some eastern asians state that their religion are not religion in the proper sense of the word.
Thus, a lot of people in Japan is follower of Shinto, but they don't think it as a religion. Same for buddhism, same for Taoism/Confucianism in China, even because their doctrines are not centered in a god (or gods) and they are not necessarily contradictory.
Shinto and taoism do center various gods. They are two classic examples of polytheism. People in JP and TW go to shrines/temples and pray all the time (probably not so much in China as the Chinese authorities systematically suppress religious activities), and there are countless superstitions involving these deities or mythical creatures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top