Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 06:56 AM

59 posts, read 38,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
I'm guessing Saxonwold hasn't spent a great amount of time in London. Trust me, it's diverse and people mix very well. My neighbours to our left are Turkish, then Chinese, to our right a Punjabi family. Across the road we have an African family living next door to some Polish. My neighbourhood, in North London, is the largest Cypriot community outside of Cyprus and two of my nieces who are half-portuguese have partners from this community. My dentist is African and my GP is Indian. Our gardener is Russian. A good third of my colleagues are Indian or Pakistani. My best friend who is mixed-race is married to an Armenian. This is just in my immediate sphere and I've honestly not scratched the surface, but I'm certain most Londoners would have a similar story.

Now I'm not sure how London compares exactly but I think a city which arguably has a good couple of millennia on NYC, and has seen a huge variety of people (through invasion or immigration) settle and assimilate, has a very strong case! Certainly stronger than a relatively young country as Brazil anyway!!
The fact that London is older doesn't mean it is more diverse. Brazil and the US were created and grew most heavily because of colonization, immigration and slavery from all over the world. The UK can't compare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 10:21 PM

53 posts, read 28,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
So you don't think a city which is several centuries older than NYC could possibly rival it in terms of diversity or mixed race?
Are you being sarcastic? This is a joke, right?

Do...do you know the historical racial makeup of the two cities? At all?

Old 03-03-2021, 10:59 AM

23,528 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I’d say New York.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:39 AM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
New York is one of the most sergegated cities in America... london is one of the more segregated cities in Europe.

London has the bigger "mixed %"

But racial diversity is sooo much greater in NY

Old 03-04-2021, 01:10 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times
As someone who has been to both, I will say this.

In both cities, ethnic groups tend to gravitate towards their own while they work in Midtown or the Central Business District and in their workplace interact with members of different groups.

I will say this though and again I have been to both London is more integrated.

Why?

NYC has many neighborhoods that are black, some even hovering at 90%, if not more.

London does not have this. I also witnessed blacks and whites interact more and even intermarry in London.

In NYC, blacks and Hispanics interact the most.

And in Paris, people really tend to segregate due to their race and ethnicity, I rarely see whites and black friendships in France, at least that's not what I saw, except for the train I was heading towards Amsterdam.

Whereas in London and NYC, people integrate.

Both cities tend to celebrate diversity. Unlike in France, where everybody has to be "French" and while diversity in ethnic identification is shunned, it still failed to integrate non-white French people.

I would say both NYC and London are integrated, though NYC a bit less so.

Old 03-04-2021, 07:05 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
As someone who has been to both, I will say this.

In both cities, ethnic groups tend to gravitate towards their own while they work in Midtown or the Central Business District and in their workplace interact with members of different groups.

I will say this though and again I have been to both London is more integrated.

Why?

NYC has many neighborhoods that are black, some even hovering at 90%, if not more.

London does not have this. I also witnessed blacks and whites interact more and even intermarry in London.

In NYC, blacks and Hispanics interact the most.

And in Paris, people really tend to segregate due to their race and ethnicity, I rarely see whites and black friendships in France, at least that's not what I saw, except for the train I was heading towards Amsterdam.

Whereas in London and NYC, people integrate.

Both cities tend to celebrate diversity. Unlike in France, where everybody has to be "French" and while diversity in ethnic identification is shunned, it still failed to integrate non-white French people.

I would say both NYC and London are integrated, though NYC a bit less so.
Interesting post. What neighborhoods in London would have the most black folks?

Old 03-05-2021, 09:44 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Interesting post. What neighborhoods in London would have the most black folks?
Lewisham, Southwark and Lambeth are the three blackest boroughs, stretching across the northern/central portion of South London. That area is about 26-27% Black. It is estimated this area is now over 30% black with London nearing 17% Black but we have no clue of those numbers in reality till 2021 census comes out.

The specific neighborhoods that are black though are.
Peckham 50.4% (You can find smaller neighborhoods that are majority black, but this area is probably the closest you'll get to 100,000 people in an area and it being majority black in London).
Camberwell
Brixton
Thamesmead
Thornton Heath
Lewisham (neighborhood)
Some parts north of the river that are decently black is Homerton and Stonebridge/Church End but their smaller areas than the continous stretch of South London where blacks are either the largest minority or a plurality of the population.

All these ones I mentioned are 35%+ Black. some are just under a majority or just over a majority black, but won't really know till the 2021 census comes out.

London while having some majority black neighborhoods doesn't have a continued stretch of areas that are just black, not even South London has an area like that, as the parts of Lambeth/Southwark/Lewisham and Croydon that are black don't necessarily border each other.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:19 PM

1,553 posts, read 2,447,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Lewisham, Southwark and Lambeth are the three blackest boroughs, stretching across the northern/central portion of South London. That area is about 26-27% Black. It is estimated this area is now over 30% black with London nearing 17% Black but we have no clue of those numbers in reality till 2021 census comes out.

The specific neighborhoods that are black though are.
Peckham 50.4% (You can find smaller neighborhoods that are majority black, but this area is probably the closest you'll get to 100,000 people in an area and it being majority black in London).
Camberwell
Brixton
Thamesmead
Thornton Heath
Lewisham (neighborhood)
Some parts north of the river that are decently black is Homerton and Stonebridge/Church End but their smaller areas than the continous stretch of South London where blacks are either the largest minority or a plurality of the population.

All these ones I mentioned are 35%+ Black. some are just under a majority or just over a majority black, but won't really know till the 2021 census comes out.

London while having some majority black neighborhoods doesn't have a continued stretch of areas that are just black, not even South London has an area like that, as the parts of Lambeth/Southwark/Lewisham and Croydon that are black don't necessarily border each other.
Agreed

Plus, the poor in British (and Canada for that matter) are more racially integrated.

For example in the US, the poor blacks and Hispanics often live in housing projects and other overcrowded housing conditions in large metropolitan areas.

Whereas, poor whites live in trailer parks and rural America.

In Canada and in the UK, you will see poor minorities living with poor whites even in the council estates (what they call the housing projects in the UK)

Old 03-05-2021, 12:37 PM

12,163 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Agreed

Plus, the poor in British (and Canada for that matter) are more racially integrated.

For example in the US, the poor blacks and Hispanics often live in housing projects and other overcrowded housing conditions in large metropolitan areas.

Whereas, poor whites live in trailer parks and rural America.

In Canada and in the UK, you will see poor minorities living with poor whites even in the council estates (what they call the housing projects in the UK)
Very true

Old 03-08-2021, 12:57 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,401,569 times
Quote:

That is true for the most part but not in every case. Prior to 2000 on the eas coast of Canada where some hosuing projects were almost exclusively Black. That has only changed in the last couple of decades. There are probably a couple of small communities that are still predominanlty Black out there. These communities are very small though. The rest of Canad does fit in to what you're saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World