Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2016, 07:19 AM

2,631 posts, read 2,040,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
How long ago were you here, may I ask? Despite some post-Brexit pockets of violence and a few hate-crimes here and there, racism in London isn't much of an issue these days, relatively speaking.
Lived and went to school in a small town between Southampton and Portsmouth in the late 70s into the early 80's. Black kids, of which there were few, were ostracized, pushed, shoved, taunted and thumped. Working age minorities were overlooked in the workforce and viewed a second tier citizens. London is a separate entity and while we certainly visited, I cannot comment on the dynamic between the different ethnic groups.

My wife is an engaging Latina and has a way of getting people to spill their life stories in 5 minutes. We both enjoy hearing the stories of immigrants and most of them enjoy sharing. Some of the most outwardly simple people have the best life stories. As recently as 2014, when we spent a month driving though southern France and Italy, many of the Latin American restaurant workers would speak of overt racism and sexism that would never occur in the US, at least not without a followup lawsuit. You can see it here on CD. They don't speak of skin color, they speak of looking at people to figure out where they come from. Then they draw preconceived notions and the ethnic stereotyping begins. That is no different than drawing preconceived notions from skin color.

There is racism in America, but we speak about it in the open and it is shunned. Pretending that it does not exist only serves to perpetuate it further. It is not racist to recognize that violence is permeating many black communities in America (as is sometimes alleged here). On the contrary, it creates discussion and hopefully action on the problem. Many Europeans believe their own malarkey about being culturally advanced and that they are beyond the racism of the past. It's not true. Actually it is a lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2016, 09:24 PM

6,457 posts, read 4,039,484 times
Don't know overall but I will say something like 1/3 of blacks are clearly mixed in London compared to something like 1/8 for the U.S being more than 30% not black.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:26 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,350,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Lived and went to school in a small town between Southampton and Portsmouth in the late 70s into the early 80's. Black kids, of which there were few, were ostracized, pushed, shoved, taunted and thumped. Working age minorities were overlooked in the workforce and viewed a second tier citizens. London is a separate entity and while we certainly visited, I cannot comment on the dynamic between the different ethnic groups.

My wife is an engaging Latina and has a way of getting people to spill their life stories in 5 minutes. We both enjoy hearing the stories of immigrants and most of them enjoy sharing. Some of the most outwardly simple people have the best life stories. As recently as 2014, when we spent a month driving though southern France and Italy, many of the Latin American restaurant workers would speak of overt racism and sexism that would never occur in the US, at least not without a followup lawsuit. You can see it here on CD. They don't speak of skin color, they speak of looking at people to figure out where they come from. Then they draw preconceived notions and the ethnic stereotyping begins. That is no different than drawing preconceived notions from skin color.

There is racism in America, but we speak about it in the open and it is shunned. Pretending that it does not exist only serves to perpetuate it further. It is not racist to recognize that violence is permeating many black communities in America (as is sometimes alleged here). On the contrary, it creates discussion and hopefully action on the problem. Many Europeans believe their own malarkey about being culturally advanced and that they are beyond the racism of the past. It's not true. Actually it is a lie.
My opinion only, but I think there's a lot less racism in London than on the Continent. It's far from non-existent--but it's a lot more noticeable around other places in Europe. London and some of Britain's other large cities are still miles ahead when it comes to integrating ethnic minorities.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:28 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,350,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Don't know overall but I will say something like 1/3 of blacks are clearly mixed in London compared to something like 1/8 for the U.S being more than 30% not black.
There are more blacks in the U.S. who are outspoken about being against mixed relationships, as some sort of political thing... to some blacks, mixed relationships always mean some sort of oppressive objectification of the black partner, or whatev.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:28 AM

14,831 posts, read 11,956,228 times
Quote:

I don't live in London and my (black) kids are not and never have been 'ostracized, pushed, shoved, taunted and thumped' like you claim! I don't believe you, I certainly don't think you are correct, besides its not the 1970's anymore anyway! That was nearly 40 years ago!

Old 09-06-2016, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't live in London and my (black) kids are not and never have been 'ostracized, pushed, shoved, taunted and thumped' like you claim! I don't believe you, I certainly don't think you are correct, besides its not the 1970's anymore anyway! That was nearly 40 years ago!
I don't care if you believe me or not, I witnessed it and was shocked by it. The black kids ate supper alone at school and were just about continuously harassed. They were labeled as "darkies". It's nice to read that it is better today in the UK, but that was not our observation on the continent two years ago.

Old 09-06-2016, 07:17 AM

14,831 posts, read 11,956,228 times
Quote:
I don't care if you believe me or not, I witnessed it and was shocked by it. The black kids ate supper alone at school and were just about continuously harassed. They were labeled as "darkies". It's nice to read that it is better today in the UK, but that was not our observation on the continent two years ago.
Complete rubbish! This does NOT happen in the UK, even if there are stupid racist bigots in this world (and there are, and yes in the UK too) this would not be allowed to happen in the UK! I think somehow you are lying. I say this as somebody who has a black family living in the UK (not London) here and now!

Old 09-06-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Complete rubbish! This does NOT happen in the UK, even if there are stupid racist bigots in this world (and there are, and yes in the UK too) this would not be allowed to happen in the UK! I think somehow you are lying. I say this as somebody who has a black family living in the UK (not London) here and now!
Once again, I do not care if you believe me or not. The black kids were not forced to sit alone by school staff, but they were not accepted by their peers and thus sat at a table that was only black. That was minor compared to the way the were treated during free time.

Old 09-06-2016, 04:35 PM

4,690 posts, read 13,371,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
He's searching for a ginger sanctuary.

He attended a gingerphobic school! Poor fellow is scarred for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4xEXqecyFw

Old 09-06-2016, 04:41 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,857,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post

I'm ginger friendly. There isn't a ginger-phobic bone in my body.

Equal rights for gingers is a motto I seriously adhere to. Go gingers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World