Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 03:48 AM

22 posts, read 58,425 times

Advertisements

In terms of the different races and cultures mixing. How does London compare to New York City?

While big cities are often known for being very diverse, the reality is usually that the different groups do not mix, interact, socialize, or even live in the same geographical areas.

I've heard that in New York Whites, Blacks, Latinos and Asians (Chinese, Korean etc.) are all segregated. While in London, Whites, Blacks and Asians (Pakistanis, Indians, etc.) are also very segregated.

How do these two cities compare to each other in terms of different races/cultures mixing socially and residentially?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2016, 04:33 AM

15,064 posts, read 6,167,490 times
Try to perceive things in a somewhat different manner. Your perception is inaccurate because it is far to racial. In New York City, you will find Caribbean people, the majority of whom are of African descent, living together. It is mixture of islands in Brooklyn, and in the Bronx, one finds more Puerto Rican, Dominicans and the Jamaicans. Other groups, like Caribbean Indians, you find in Queens. More African-Americans live Harlem, from what I understand. Never been over that way though.

In London, the African-descended is Caribbean or African firstly. It's not simply "black." Yes, Asians are largely Indian or Pakistani.

In both places, people often interact with each other. Living among your own tends to bring a certain comfort but in both cities, one interacts with different people in the majority of cases. There certainly is mixing among the different groups. Different cultures are all around you in both places...it's all about how you want to live.

Just had to add, I love the Indian and Thai food in London...omg. It has the best, outside of home-cooked food.

There's delicious Caribbean food (Indo/Afro) in both NYC and London as well.

Old 01-09-2016, 07:32 PM

22 posts, read 58,425 times
In which would you say there is a higher level of racial mixing?

I'll be sure to try your food recommendations.

Old 09-03-2016, 02:51 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
New York obviously. There is not even a comparison.

Old 09-03-2016, 04:35 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,364,292 times
About 1 in 10 of Britain's couples are in mixed relationships: One in 10 couples now ethnically mixed | Daily Mail Online

This article has charts showing that the percentage of mixed-ethnicity children is growing quickly in London... about 6-7% of kids under 5 years old are mixed: Into the melting pot | The Economist

A good measure is probably the inter-marriage statistics. Around 8% of couples (married or cohabiting) in Toronto are mixed ethnicity and the rate is about 10% in Vancouver. It's tough to find stats on NYC or London online, but the rates, I'm guessing, would be similar.... how similar though?

Old 09-03-2016, 06:54 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,421,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
About 1 in 10 of Britain's couples are in mixed relationships: One in 10 couples now ethnically mixed | Daily Mail Online

This article has charts showing that the percentage of mixed-ethnicity children is growing quickly in London... about 6-7% of kids under 5 years old are mixed: Into the melting pot | The Economist

A good measure is probably the inter-marriage statistics. Around 8% of couples (married or cohabiting) in Toronto are mixed ethnicity and the rate is about 10% in Vancouver. It's tough to find stats on NYC or London online, but the rates, I'm guessing, would be similar.... how similar though?
Do you even have any idea how mixed New York is? Hispanics and most Black Americans are already themselves a mixed-race people. They also account together for over half of New York City, when we add couples who intermarry between Blacks, Hispanics, Whites and Asian, etc.... It becomes incomparable. You cannot compare New York with cities in Central or South America where it is similar or more. No city in Europe, even London comes close. Many Blacks in London are African who are purely African or Black(e.g. Nigerian, Ghanian, Kenyan, Zimbabwean, etc...) who intermixed with Whites there, but in America, most Blacks are already of a mixed background, there's always a White man somewhere in their genetic line. Hispanics are even more mixed varying a White Spaniard-like to a Black African-like to a Native-American or even looking Japanese. It's all mixed, then there are all sorts of Jewish, Armenian, Arab, Polynesians, Bolivians, Lebanese all that mixed-up. "Get out of here", New York and America as a whole is more mixed than most countries in the world with the exception of Brasil. London? Come on!

Old 09-03-2016, 07:55 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,246,811 times
I'm guessing Saxonwold hasn't spent a great amount of time in London. Trust me, it's diverse and people mix very well. My neighbours to our left are Turkish, then Chinese, to our right a Punjabi family. Across the road we have an African family living next door to some Polish. My neighbourhood, in North London, is the largest Cypriot community outside of Cyprus and two of my nieces who are half-portuguese have partners from this community. My dentist is African and my GP is Indian. Our gardener is Russian. A good third of my colleagues are Indian or Pakistani. My best friend who is mixed-race is married to an Armenian. This is just in my immediate sphere and I've honestly not scratched the surface, but I'm certain most Londoners would have a similar story.

Now I'm not sure how London compares exactly but I think a city which arguably has a good couple of millennia on NYC, and has seen a huge variety of people (through invasion or immigration) settle and assimilate, has a very strong case! Certainly stronger than a relatively young country as Brazil anyway!!

Old 09-03-2016, 08:12 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
New York.

Whilst multicultural, London does have a lot of ethnic English people (with not much mixing), whereas NYC generally has people who are mixed of all European backgrounds (Irish, Italian, Ashkenazi, Polish, etc).

Old 09-04-2016, 08:37 AM

140 posts, read 151,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
New York.

Whilst multicultural, London does have a lot of ethnic English people (with not much mixing), whereas NYC generally has people who are mixed of all European backgrounds (Irish, Italian, Ashkenazi, Polish, etc).
You are right that non hispanic whites are pretty mixed, because they are now mostly 4th, 5th and so on generation, speaking English, their ancestors came to the US in 2nd half of 19th century or 1st decades of 20th from British isles, Germany,, Italy, Austria-Hungary, Russia, Scandinavia and so on. So they are indeed mixed,, but this thread is about racial mixing so not important really,, because share of non-hispanic whites in NYC today is actually even higher than ethnic English in London. Share of white British was 44.89% in 2011 census. That means today it is under 40% (Irish share would be maybe 1/3 of that,, many Londoners have Irish ancestry, but for census they say white British, not mentioning Scotts and other people included in term British and many 3rd, 4th generation Poles who are British for census) so if 38% for example is white British, white English is maybe 20% not even mentioning centuries of immigration to UK, in the end everyone is mixed if you go enough generatiojs back to see who were their ancestors.

If we speak about racial mixing than NYC is more mixed thanks to many Latinos who are mostly of mixed ancestry and also many AfroAmericans have some european ancestry in them, not counting new mixed people like white/Chinese, Carribbean/Indian and so on

Old 09-04-2016, 09:36 AM

379 posts, read 467,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
I'm guessing Saxonwold hasn't spent a great amount of time in London. Trust me, it's diverse and people mix very well. My neighbours to our left are Turkish, then Chinese, to our right a Punjabi family. Across the road we have an African family living next door to some Polish. My neighbourhood, in North London, is the largest Cypriot community outside of Cyprus and two of my nieces who are half-portuguese have partners from this community. My dentist is African and my GP is Indian. Our gardener is Russian. A good third of my colleagues are Indian or Pakistani. My best friend who is mixed-race is married to an Armenian. This is just in my immediate sphere and I've honestly not scratched the surface, but I'm certain most Londoners would have a similar story.

Now I'm not sure how London compares exactly but I think a city which arguably has a good couple of millennia on NYC, and has seen a huge variety of people (through invasion or immigration) settle and assimilate, has a very strong case! Certainly stronger than a relatively young country as Brazil anyway!!
I can play that game. In NYC; on my apartment floor I have neighbors from Pakistan, India, England, and Iran; on my team at work there are: 2 Indians, 1 Guyanese, 5 Pakistanis, 1 Jamaican, 1 Antiguan, 1 Colombian, 2 Dominacans, 2 Chinese, 2 Koreans, 2 Egyptians (1 Copt 1 Muslim) and 10 normal White Americans. Pound for Pound, NYC is as diverse as London when you apply random personal metrics like these. My doctor is Russian, my local bodega guys are from Yemen, my daughters teacher is Puerto Rican, the apartment handy man is Bangladeshi etc etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World