Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 05:25 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Once again, I do not care if you believe me or not. The black kids were not forced to sit alone by school staff, but they were not accepted by their peers and thus sat at a table that was only black. That was minor compared to the way the were treated during free time.
But there was a time in the not too distant past in the US where black people WERE forced to sit in their designated section on a bus, for example. We have to accept that both countries have progressed massively since those awful times and are leagues ahead of so many other nations. But I do think racism against black people is still, sadly, more prevalent in the US than anywhere in the UK, or indeed Europe. Things may be different towards Eastern Europeans currently though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 05:59 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Don't know overall but I will say something like 1/3 of blacks are clearly mixed in London compared to something like 1/8 for the U.S being more than 30% not black.
If we are being technical...NYC probably has more Mixed race individuals of African/European ancestry than London does. The US census undercounts the US mixed population by a pretty large margin. One also has to take into account that a lot of mixed people in the US just mark one race on the census forums. Also NYC has a lot of puerto rican and Dominicans. Both groups have large populations that are mixed African/European descent. A lot of Puerto Rican and Dominicans also mix with African Americans in NYC too.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intheclouds1 View Post
If we are being technical...NYC probably has more Mixed race individuals of African/European ancestry than London does. The US census undercounts the US mixed population by a pretty large margin. One also has to take into account that a lot of mixed people in the US just mark one race on the census forums. Also NYC has a lot of puerto rican and Dominicans. Both groups have large populations that are mixed African/European descent. A lot of Puerto Rican and Dominicans also mix with African Americans in NYC too.
So you don't think a city which is several centuries older than NYC could possibly rival it in terms of diversity or mixed race?

Old 09-06-2016, 08:16 PM

6,470 posts, read 4,071,063 times
Maybe their are more in NYC because Dominicans and Puerto Ricans are mixed. But I know for a fact that while AA's are mixed in, London is much higher among Blacks. Almost all of the historical black population in London has mixed indefinitely and Jamaicans marry outside of Jamaicans like its nobody's business. I don't know the exact number but I estimate more than half of all Jamaican British men are married outside of their race.

Old 09-06-2016, 09:39 PM

431 posts, read 521,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
So you don't think a city which is several centuries older than NYC could possibly rival it in terms of diversity or mixed race?
I'm just trying to figure out where I ever said anything like that in my original post.

Old 09-07-2016, 02:09 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
Once again, I do not care if you believe me or not. The black kids were not forced to sit alone by school staff, but they were not accepted by their peers and thus sat at a table that was only black. That was minor compared to the way the were treated during free time.
I am sorry, I am not trying to suggest that the UK is some kind of racial utopia (it has and has had racial problems and tensions), but this is absolute bollox! PARTICULARLY AMONGST KIDS (kids are usually very accepting of the diversity of their peers, particularly young ones), my kids have NOT been subject to anything like this, and when I was at school the black kids in my school were NOT ever subjected to anything like this, perhaps there was a time? The 1950's perhaps? I don't know, I wasn't there but honestly in my lifetime things have never been this bad! On a completely different side note I went to school with a black guy who ended up playing for England.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:48 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I am sorry, I am not trying to suggest that the UK is some kind of racial utopia (it has and has had racial problems and tensions), but this is absolute bollox! PARTICULARLY AMONGST KIDS (kids are usually very accepting of the diversity of their peers, particularly young ones), my kids have NOT been subject to anything like this, and when I was at school the black kids in my school were NOT ever subjected to anything like this, perhaps there was a time? The 1950's perhaps? I don't know, I wasn't there but honestly in my lifetime things have never been this bad! On a completely different side note I went to school with a black guy who ended up playing for England.
Things have not been that bad, because you're looking from a White or pale man's perspective. You don't really understand a Black man perspective. Even if you are married to a Black woman, you are still White!! Thus will be treated as such, playing for England means nothing. Didn't Paul Ince play for England and he sure faced racism even on the pitch.

Old 09-08-2016, 01:32 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
Things have not been that bad, because you're looking from a White or pale man's perspective. You don't really understand a Black man perspective. Even if you are married to a Black woman, you are still White!! Thus will be treated as such, playing for England means nothing. Didn't Paul Ince play for England and he sure faced racism even on the pitch.
What ARE you prattling on about! lol. Playing for England means 'nothing'! Is this a joke! Playing for England means a lot to you if you are English! Are you seriously suggesting that my Mrs and my kids are suffering racial abuse without me even knowing it!! Lol that is the most stupid thing I've read on here!

Old 09-08-2016, 01:39 AM

4,680 posts, read 13,427,612 times
Quote:
What ARE you prattling on about! lol. Playing for England means 'nothing'! Is this a joke! Playing for England means a lot to you if you are English! Are you seriously suggesting that my Mrs and my kids are suffering racial abuse without me even knowing it!! Lol that is the most stupid thing I've read on here!
Slow down there Mr Emotion! I meant playing for England does not exempt you from racism, when your skin color is black!!! Paul Ince , though he played for England with all his heart, he was many times subject to racial slurs or abuse.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:16 AM

Quote:
I have to say, growing up as a teenager in the eighties, my experience is the same. In fact, if anything, the black kids seemed to be the most popular!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World