Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 07:21 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I've had loads of street food here in China, of varying quality and flavor. Some really excellent noodles and rice, before... and some other stuff that was pretty bleh.

It's easy to figure out whose food is safe and whose isn't... just look at where all the locals are eating. Since most of the vendors come to the same area every day, they probably have a good read on who is using gutter oil, and who isn't.
That is what I do in Mexico and it has worked out pretty well. If a taco place/stand is empty, it is not a good sign. I have my go to places in Baja CA and they are always packed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 07:24 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Lol I just ate but, I'm craving tacos soooooo bad...
My husband drove to Tijuana alone for the first time yesterday to take our dog to the Vet. He was gone for a long time and I started getting worried- I thought he was lost or stuck at the crossing. Turns out he was eating at all of the stands across the city- tacos, seafood tostadas, micheladas, etc....little brat!

Old 01-12-2016, 04:11 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Caveat: Locals always build up an immunity to the strains of bacteria or viruses in these foods. It's acquired and easily lost without constant exposure to these foods.
The same process occurs with foreign travelers! The more exposed you are, the tougher your immune system becomes?

I've never gotten sick eating street food, anywhere in the world, and I love 3rd world countries the most. As the Lonely Planet guides say: As long as the food is thoroughly cooked!! And, avoid salads, greens, as you don't know what kind of water they were washed with! Eggs? If not thoroughly cooked, don't eat them! And if you buy some fried chicken, and it's a bit too pink inside, discard it!

And to think of the people who have gotten sick eating at some of the restaurants, recently, in the U.S.!!!

On my last trip to La Paz, Bolivia, some character, at night, was wheeling around a multi-tiered cake, with lots of frosting, in a wheelbarrow, stopping occasionally, to slice off a piece for 50 cents! Delicious!

Old 01-12-2016, 04:56 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Eating street foods depends on the country that I am traveling around.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:18 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,898,896 times
I generally enjoy street food. I've never gotten sick from eating at any that I can remember. Papusas in El Salvador were really good, grilled lamb on a stick in China is one of my favorite Chinese foods (grilled ligament comes second), relaxing with a good bottle of beer is great, the street food in China is what I miss the most. Food trucks here in the US are hit and miss, some have been really good and some have been awful. Street tacos in Mexico were good as well, but I only had that twice.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:46 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,344,128 times
Yes, I regularly eat street food in HK and when traveling abroad. Didn't get sick until now... Yes, hygiene is a bit worrisome at times, but I usually don't think about it too much.

Then again, I just go to places that seem to be popular with the crowd.

Old 01-12-2016, 11:59 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,526,999 times
Never ate, never liked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World