Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 03:29 PM

433 posts, read 405,362 times

Advertisements

My list of best countries to live, on Earth only:

Portugal, Azores and Madeira
Chile
South Africa
Taiwan
Namibia
Philippines
Hungary
Uruguay
France
Malta
Cape Verde
Spain
Greece
Australia
Mauritius
Sri Lanka
Tanzania
Sicily (Italy)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2016, 06:33 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,015,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtocolumbia View Post

Chile
South Africa
Taiwan
Namibia
Philippines
Hungary
Uruguay
France
Malta
Cape Verde
Spain
Greece
Australia
Mauritius
Sri Lanka
Tanzania
Sicily (Italy)
some of these:

Sicily: 80% of businesses racketeered by the mafia;
Greece: fat, curly-haired British lovers;
Malta: 15,000 population;
SA: No crime, like...not once ever!
Taiwan: communism;
Portugal: obviously you're trying to find a poor european country but so far fail.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:38 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
some of these:

Taiwan: communism
Portugal: obviously you're trying to find a poor european country but so far fail.
Excuse me?

Last edited by Greysholic; 03-01-2016 at 06:47 PM..

Old 03-01-2016, 07:11 PM

433 posts, read 405,362 times
Quote:
some of these:

Correction: Population of Malta is over 400 thousand. Regarding Taiwan, do you mean continental China - PRC? Italian Sicily - once you pay the cosa nostra you are good to go, very safe and cheap. South Africa is very safe, I lived there in Cape Town, never a problem except a few funny situations with knives and machine guns that we laughed off. Excellent country to live. I forgot to mention Panama and perhaps Costa Rica. Also Argentina, Ecuador, Slovakia, Lituania, Belarus, Albania, perhaps Thailand, to some people, Bhutan, Mozambique, Botswana, Rwanda, Morocco, Tunisia, probably Cyprus as well as Lebanon and Jordan. Also India is becoming a gem. So as you can see none of your overpriced overtaxed semi-communist countries are in my list. I could also add Zambia, Mexico, Pitcairn, Marshall Islands, Philippines, Malaysia, Nicaragua, Montenegro [SIZE=4]Northern Mariana Islands[/SIZE] to the good list. And did I mention PORTUGAL?

Old 03-01-2016, 07:41 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Brazil and China are out of place. Maybe in the top 50, but not 20.

Old 03-02-2016, 07:32 AM

2,974 posts, read 2,813,825 times
Quote:
some of these:

80% is a harsh estimate and even despite that Sicily is still a lovely island. I have yet to understand why you have negative feelings about Greece, i think they are indifferent to British as long as they keep coming in droves to their resorts. Malta's population is quite larger than that and is an interesting island with as much history in it as a whole region of your country would have.

Quote:
Italian Sicily - once you pay the cosa nostra you are good to go, very safe and cheap.
The point is that you shouldn't, if that's your mentality once you come here (talking about the South as a whole) iwould rather you stay away from my country and from its lovely landmarks and landscapes because people (several of which has died for the cause) have been fighting for freedom from racketeering and their oppressive control. Anyway, i doubt Cosa Nostra will ever go around threatening tourists, they have more lucrative deals to accomplish

Old 03-02-2016, 09:44 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,889,678 times
Quote:

Chile
South Africa
Taiwan
Namibia
Philippines
Hungary
Uruguay
France
Malta
Cape Verde
Spain
Greece
Australia
Mauritius
Sri Lanka
Tanzania
Sicily (Italy)

Why do you list the Azores and Madeira separately? They are archipelagos but function as regions of Portugal. There is only one country. There isn't a strong Azorean identity people identify strongly with their individual islands and also with Portugal not so much with the region.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:58 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,115,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
The country which has been #1 on the HDI index since 2009 isn't even on the list. GG, US News.

Maybe US News never heard about countries like Norway or Switzerland
Or it was to confusing for them to distinguish between Sweden and Switzerland and Sweden and Norway. Who knows?

Old 03-02-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
I'm quoting the 80% estimate from something I read somewhere, again if you insist on sources I can find them -.

About the rest: I actually like Greece a lot, I've been there, know some of them...hell even my parents know the mayor of Tseloniki("Solun"). I don't mind at all South Italy either, just quoting facts.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Correction: Population of Malta is over 400 thousand. Regarding Taiwan, do you mean continental China - PRC? Italian Sicily - once you pay the cosa nostra you are good to go, very safe and cheap. South Africa is very safe, I lived there in Cape Town, never a problem except a few funny situations with knives and machine guns that we laughed off. Excellent country to live. I forgot to mention Panama and perhaps Costa Rica. Also Argentina, Ecuador, Slovakia, Lituania, Belarus, Albania, perhaps Thailand, to some people, Bhutan, Mozambique, Botswana, Rwanda, Morocco, Tunisia, probably Cyprus as well as Lebanon and Jordan. Also India is becoming a gem. So as you can see none of your overpriced overtaxed semi-communist countries are in my list. I could also add Zambia, Mexico, Pitcairn, Marshall Islands, Philippines, Malaysia, Nicaragua, Montenegro [SIZE=4]Northern Mariana Islands[/SIZE] to the good list. And did I mention PORTUGAL?
Tell me you're kidding, right:

"once you pay the cosa nostra you are good to go"??

"never a problem except a few funny situations with knives and machine guns that we laughed off"??

If you come from Syria or Eastern Ukraine then things like that are everyday occurrence, but for most of us who live in peaceful countries, things like that hardly make a country good, let alone the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World