Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 06:27 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,381,116 times

Advertisements

What are some places that totally blew you minds?
For me for example, when i visited Sedona, in Arizona, i felt like i had stepped into a sci-fy movie set. It was surreal the colors and rock formations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2016, 07:28 AM

6 posts, read 6,828 times
I haven't been yet, but there are a few places in Bolivia that look absolutely amazing. Google Salar de Uyuni, Valle De La Luna and Laguna Colorada for example. As far as places that I have been would say the North Slope of Alaska was the most surreal. The sun barely rose over the horizon each day, vast white/snowy emptiness as far as you can see, the sense of total isolation was both exhilarating and frightening.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:48 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,830 times
Southern coast of the Crimean Peninsula in the summer, views to/from the Black Sea.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:37 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,381,116 times
^^^^ What city is that on the second photo?

Old 01-23-2016, 10:32 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,030,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
It looks like they photoshopped the mountain.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:48 AM

1,772 posts, read 1,504,324 times
Quote:
What are some places that totally blew you minds?
For me for example, when i visited Sedona, in Arizona, i felt like i had stepped into a sci-fy movie set. It was surreal the colors and rock formations.
All the New Age stuff there contributed to the surreal feel too; however Sedona didn't really blow my mind, maybe because I was expecting something like that, very beautiful landscape there nonetheless.
Nearby Canyon de Chelly was absolutely amazing though and blew my mind, that's how I imagined a Wild West landscape.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:05 PM

191 posts, read 167,319 times
Sümela Monastery Trabzon, Turkey

Less known places that blew your mind?-s-mela-monastery.jpg

Less known places that blew your mind?-sumela_monastery.jpg

Less known places that blew your mind?-sumela-turkey.jpg

Old 01-23-2016, 06:41 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,449,830 times
Quote:
Alupka, Crimea. It's between Yalta and Sevastopol. What you see in the pic is Vorontsov Palace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alupka

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voront...e_%28Alupka%29

Old 01-23-2016, 06:53 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,066 times
Andorra, a very small country wedged between Spain and France in the Pyrennees.

Pariah Canyon, Utah

Old 01-23-2016, 08:50 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,367,344 times
I wish I had some photos, but... Grand Manan Island, in the Bay of Fundy, between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, Canada.

It's way off of the beaten path, and that's the beauty of the place. You get there by ferry. There aren't many people living on the island, and it's fairly large, so you can wander along large stretches of beach and it's like the island is deserted. There's no "white noise", no buzzing from electricity lines, no traffic noise in the distance, no signs of civilization... all you can hear is the crashing of waves, the wind whistling over the seagrass, the cries of seagulls... just incredible.

I'll also mention the ÃŽles de la Madeleine, between the coast of Quebec and Prince Edward Island. Also sparsely populated, they're very warm and gorgeous during the summer, with extensive sandy beaches. They're a little-known gem in the north Atlantic region... there are a certain number of regular summer visitors from Quebec, and they have summer events that are well-attended year after year, like a sand castle contest. Isolated, but unique, and a bit fantastical!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World