Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 08:11 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Back in Marbella and didn't really want to leave Sevilla. My friend, who learned to speak Spanish in South America but is fluent, was talking with a local and they said...you're accent is wrong.

I would love to live in Sevilla a few years....to find out when exactly you will take for granted the stunning art, architecture and sights.
Do yourself a big favor and take a day trip to Ronda, and stop in Setenil de las Bodegas along the way. Ronda is built on the edge of a cliff, and Setenil is built in a canyon, UNDER the edge of a cliff. Both are an easy drive from Marbella.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 08:41 AM

1,586 posts, read 2,148,651 times
This thread has clearly devolved into the typical "which country is more reprehensible" arguments all these threads turn into, but I will nonetheless attempt to answer the original question.

A previous poster mentioned that Spain is No. 5 in tourists from the U.S., preceded by the UK, France, Italy and Germany. Clearly Americans think all those countries have more to offer them than Spain. So let's take a look at why:

UK: This is an easy one. Common language, shared history. It's an opportunity for Americans to visit another culture with a minimum of culture shock.

France: Justifiably or not, this is the first country non-Europeans think of when they think of Europe. It's associated with food, wine, beauty, romance, the Eiffel Tower. American tourists want to experience all these things.

Italy: There's probably a food-and-drink element here, but just like France is the country non-Europeans most associate with Europe, Italy is the country they most associate with European history. If you want to feel a connection with the culture of 2,000 years ago, this is where you're going to go.

Germany: You know what, I can't really answer this one. Not sure why it's more popular than Spain.

So Spain is the fifth-most-popular country. Just based on what, as an American, I know American attitudes to be, I'd expect it to be the fourth-most-popular country. Not much of a gap there. It's pretty much where it should be. Of course, as has been adequately addressed elsewhere in this thread, Americans are less likely to travel overseas in general due to the huge size of the U.S. and a lack of time off from work. I'd also suggest that the dominance of the U.S. in international popular culture makes Americans more intimidated than others to dive into other cultures and languages. If you're Spanish, I'm guessing that you encounter foreign culture on a daily basis. Americans don't, really, because the U.S. produces so much of its own.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:47 PM

30,366 posts, read 19,156,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
This thread has clearly devolved into the typical "which country is more reprehensible" arguments all these threads turn into, but I will nonetheless attempt to answer the original question.

A previous poster mentioned that Spain is No. 5 in tourists from the U.S., preceded by the UK, France, Italy and Germany. Clearly Americans think all those countries have more to offer them than Spain. So let's take a look at why:

UK: This is an easy one. Common language, shared history. It's an opportunity for Americans to visit another culture with a minimum of culture shock.

France: Justifiably or not, this is the first country non-Europeans think of when they think of Europe. It's associated with food, wine, beauty, romance, the Eiffel Tower. American tourists want to experience all these things.

Italy: There's probably a food-and-drink element here, but just like France is the country non-Europeans most associate with Europe, Italy is the country they most associate with European history. If you want to feel a connection with the culture of 2,000 years ago, this is where you're going to go.

Germany: You know what, I can't really answer this one. Not sure why it's more popular than Spain.

So Spain is the fifth-most-popular country. Just based on what, as an American, I know American attitudes to be, I'd expect it to be the fourth-most-popular country. Not much of a gap there. It's pretty much where it should be. Of course, as has been adequately addressed elsewhere in this thread, Americans are less likely to travel overseas in general due to the huge size of the U.S. and a lack of time off from work. I'd also suggest that the dominance of the U.S. in international popular culture makes Americans more intimidated than others to dive into other cultures and languages. If you're Spanish, I'm guessing that you encounter foreign culture on a daily basis. Americans don't, really, because the U.S. produces so much of its own.
Agree with everything you said. However, Spain is 3rd in the world in international tourist arrivals after France and the USA and Spain's numbers are growing faster than just about any country right now. Considering the currently favorable dollar/Euro conversion and the value and beauty and history of Spain, I agree with OP that more Americans should be coming to this beautiful country. Sevilla, where I left yesterday, is a relatively unknown city in the USA but is a fabulous place for a winter vacation...I was surprised at the number of Chinese tourists.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikiwikirunner View Post
Do yourself a big favor and take a day trip to Ronda, and stop in Setenil de las Bodegas along the way. Ronda is built on the edge of a cliff, and Setenil is built in a canyon, UNDER the edge of a cliff. Both are an easy drive from Marbella.
So far this trip, we have been to Ronda, Gibraltar, Granada, Sevilla and of course Marbella. We will aim to visit the Setenil de las Bodegas in the coming weeks before returning to USA.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:36 PM

2,694 posts, read 3,190,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
I have a friend whose son is teacher in at Harvard University and said to me that you only have
15 days of vacation per year.

¿ It is this general or normal in USA? Why if so I explained that few american tourists come to Europe.
Although teachers have years sabbatical.
The other professions which they their are annual leave in USA ?,
As you know the normal vacation from work in Spain and most of Europe are 30 days per year and some times even more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
That 15 days probably is close to the average. Days off are negotiated between employer and employee. Most companies start their employees off with 2 weeks vacation per year and you can get more days the longer you work there. In my last job (started in 2003), my employer offered me the standard 2 weeks but I insisted on 4 weeks or I wouldn't work for them and they agreed. Last year, I received 10 weeks paid vacation because I was working in Peru which allowed me sufficient time to travel in South America as well as in Spain.

SO yes the lower number of days will keep Americans traveling to closer locations such as Florida or to Mexico rather than coming to Europe or Asia.
I'll also point out that there's no legal mandate for those 2 weeks of vacation time. Roughly 1 in 4 Americans receives no paid vacation time.

Quote:
I will tell you some experiences of a trip to America in TV.

When Watching american TV you me surprised how little is said about the rest of World.
Of Spain nothing.-

Maybe that s why there are few americans tourists in Spain.

Another difference is that I saw on Tv there are very many cases of police shootings and deaths

In European Tv almost not there is gunfire.
The American public simply doesn't care to the same extent that it should. Whether that's the fault of the news, or if the news is simply producing what Americans want, is debatable, but Americans are more inward looking than a lot of other nationalities.

As for not going to Spain, I don't think news is enough. As others have mentioned, Spain doesn't hold itself in the American imagination the way France does. Most Americans also aren't going to go from France to Spain. They frankly don't have the time, and many don't have the money. For a lot of people, going to Europe is a once in a lifetime trip. Only 1/3 of the American populace even holds a passport, and I believe that statistic includes passport cards that can only get you into Canada, Mexico, and Caribbean countries.

Finally, regarding police shootings, they are happening, but the recent major cases have only occurred in a handful of places. They have made national headlines, however, and racial tension is on the rise in many American cities.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:36 PM

570 posts, read 604,894 times
Bulevardofdef -
I agree in what you say in your message of because Spain it occupies 5 among place of american tourists american in Europe.

Only I try in this message answer the deep reason of this your question of because Spain it occupies this 5 among place in american tourists and however is the 3 country in tourists worldwide y could be the num 1 or 2 because France adds to their statistics the tourists that cross to go to Spain and Italy

In my opinion occupies the 5 place and not the 2 or 3 place Spain in general just Because the American cinema it gives a very good vision of those countries and on the contrary a very bad a vision of Spain.

1)FRANCE,.They have made countless movies on Paris ,A famous writer says " The American do not want to go heaven they want mainly go to Paris".

2)ENGLAND,-Is the motherland of USA.I have made dozens of movies on his empire and their best actors
working in USA,.

3)ITALY ,-The american cinema the advertising has worked wonders on Venice and Florence some
as the unforgettable "Roman Holiday".

4)GERMANY ,.Documentaries and war movies over Germany are countless,The Germans are the bad but there was a point admiration for his technique allowed them to fight against the whole world.It is a logical curiosity of american tourist about this country.

5)SPAIN,-The times I ve seen in american movies there is not appeared only Spain and gypsies.bulls flamenco dances and poverty.

I remember a tv movie in that appeared the Spanish Basque country one of the richest and most elegant areas of Europe and perhaps the World with the best gastronomy well existing

The american filmmakers had mounted a tribu of Gypsies in the study in misery that was their idea of a Spanish region

That tourist american to can think in will travel to Spain to see this ? .-

Luckily finally is today slowly changing this absurd image of Spain in USA

Old 02-17-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Bulevardofdef -
I agree in what you say in your message of because Spain it occupies 5 among place of american tourists american in Europe.

Only I try in this message answer the deep reason of this your question of because Spain it occupies this 5 among place in american tourists and however is the 3 country in tourists worldwide y could be the num 1 or 2 because France adds to their statistics the tourists that cross to go to Spain and Italy

In my opinion occupies the 5 place and not the 2 or 3 place Spain in general just Because the American cinema it gives a very good vision of those countries and on the contrary a very bad a vision of Spain.

1)FRANCE,.They have made countless movies on Paris ,A famous writer says " The American do not want to go heaven they want mainly go to Paris".

2)ENGLAND,-Is the motherland of USA.I have made dozens of movies on his empire and their best actors
working in USA,.

3)ITALY ,-The american cinema the advertising has worked wonders on Venice and Florence some
as the unforgettable "Roman Holiday".

4)GERMANY ,.Documentaries and war movies over Germany are countless,The Germans are the bad but there was a point admiration for his technique allowed them to fight against the whole world.It is a logical curiosity of american tourist about this country.

5)SPAIN,-The times I ve seen in american movies there is not appeared only Spain and gypsies.bulls flamenco dances and poverty.

I remember a tv movie in that appeared the Spanish Basque country one of the richest and most elegant areas of Europe and perhaps the World with the best gastronomy well existing

The american filmmakers had mounted a tribu of Gypsies in the study in misery that was their idea of a Spanish region

That tourist american to can think in will travel to Spain to see this ? .-

Luckily finally is today slowly changing this absurd image of Spain in USA
Great point that France would count tourists that travel through on their way to Italy and Spain from northern Europe.

A substantial though decreasing proportion of Americans have ancestry that emanates from the British Isles and there are a lot of Americans that feel drawn there due to that reason. The same law and language also mean it's a much easier vacation than coming to a country, such as Spain, that has a different language and legal system.

Wife and I really struggled through Italy 10 years ago when we didn't speak the language and were unfamiliar with their customs...it really was a terrible experience. Now in Spain, we speak at least enough Spanish to find what we want and can read the highway signs, etc. Spanish have been more accomodating tto us than what we found in Italy and we are enjoying Spain so much more than Italy.

About the Basque country, we would like to go there but want to upgrade our apartment in Marbella and it might be next year before we go to that region. My last boss, from Argentina, is of Basque ancestry and is very proud of that. Have you seen the show Last Man Standing...One of the main characters and owner of the store is of Basque ancestry.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:17 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
I think the problem is that Americans are very generalized. In my region of the US, Spain is known and visited by many. My oldest sister went to Spain years ago, and I myself visited around 9 years ago. Most of my friends have been there as well.

It is a wonderful country and Barcelona is amazing. Europeans need to understand that the regions of the US are vastly different in outlook and culture. Europeans need to think of the US as a sort of European Union if you will. We have very different cultural, political and religious outlooks despite our common language. I felt more at home in Canada than I did in the southern US. There are parts of the US where I have heard Americans say they wouldn't set foot in Spain because it is too "foreign". Go figure.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:45 AM

1,049 posts, read 1,606,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post

It is a wonderful country and Barcelona is amazing.
This. Most Americans pretty much only know Barcelona. I told everyone I was moving to Madrid, and just about everyone asked me "Why not Barcelona?" I suppose it's the same in just about any country, the USA, for example, the rest of the world only knows of a few big American cities, but there's a lot more to Spain than just Barcelona..

Old 02-18-2016, 05:44 AM

426 posts, read 394,189 times
Because of cruises. Barcelona being a harbour relatively near of Italian cities, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World