Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 01:53 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,928,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Everything...studies have shown that identical twins raised in completely differing environments still retain many characteristics despite very different environments. You guys can argue against science and knowledge if you want...doesn't change facts and reality.
Um, so? We're not talking about identical twins, siblings or even family members. We are talking about two people who happen to be of the same race or ethnic group. Try to stay on topic.

Ever been to San Francisco and interacted with 3rd generation "Asian" Americans? There is nothing Asian about them. They're not going to fit into Asian society. By the same token, you're not going to fit into European society and I suggest you stop trying to. Be proud of your own identity as an American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 02:01 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Everything...studies have shown that identical twins raised in completely differing environments still retain many characteristics despite very different environments. You guys can argue against science and knowledge if you want...doesn't change facts and reality.
Because they are identical twins. You and I are not identical twins, and we humans are due to the extremely high intelligence much more defined by our cultural upbringing than simply our genes, which is not the case in rabbits or hedgehogs for example. Even dogs have very different traits from each other as we have carefully refined the different breeds for so long. But still, a poorly educated dog is a poor dog, as it haven't got the cultural grooming.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:03 PM

570 posts, read 605,064 times
Easthome.-
Do not bother ,I am an spanish very anglophile I am excited about english literature and I am very happy walking for London often-
I only say that there is hundreds of million of indians who can protest today if they
want of the colonization of Spain

However in the America of english in the USA that was even more populated of indians than the spanish today there is not almost none indians who can protest the of the colonization english,.

But today is an old story.
Only when us force with because someone protest against us the spanish has to remember this things.

After so many wars between Spanish and England are now friends and working together in the UE happily.

Old 02-04-2016, 02:20 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
A Spaniard accusing the 'English' of wiping out the native population of the 'America's'!!!!!!!! Unbelievable!! Erm POT KETTLE anyone? The Spanish destroyed the natives of South America and nicked their gold, stop trying to claim the moral high ground!
Spain teaches its citizens a very rose colored version of their interactions in the Americas- they view it as a source of pride that they were able to 'bring civilization' there, and they don't think anything of their treatment of the natives. They haven't comes to terms with it nor are they having a candid conversation about it like has happened in the US and other European countries. Not sure if that will ever change.

Old 02-04-2016, 03:15 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
"Americans don't really know much of anything about Spain"

pretty certain that the rain stays mainly in the plain

Old 02-04-2016, 04:34 PM

570 posts, read 605,064 times
Rosa surf .-
In this thread I have not spoken of if is right o wrong the spanish colonization in America,
Only that in america spanish there are millions of indians and in USA there are not almost any,
-

Only circumstantially replying to friend about of a travel to Peru.-

This thread is of the american tourist in Spain

This Of Peru is other issue is Off topic in this thread.-

Old 02-04-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
Totally agree. White North American culture is very distinct from Europe in almost every regard. Food, architecture, sports, outlook, etc. People don't realize how many cultural elements have been blended into white North American culture from the varies ethnic groups that have settled here. I know as a white Californian, I have far more in common with an Asian Californian then I do with someone from Germany or Spain.
This is so true- sometimes I forget how much Asian cultures have influenced our lives here in CA. Growing up I had many Vietnamese and Japanese American friends and boyfriends. I have even converted to Buddhism and can't imagine my life without Asian foods of all types (boba, ginger, ramen, pho, etc...).

We have alot of influences from other cultures, it does make it a little different vs homogenous European cultures.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
Rosa surf .-
In this thread I have not spoken of if is right o wrong the spanish colonization in America,
Only that in america spanish there are millions of indians and in USA there are not almost any,
-

Only circumstantially replying to friend about of a travel to Peru.-

This thread is of the american tourist in Spain

This Of Peru is other issue is Off topic in this thread.-
It was brought up that other 'conquerors' were worst than the Spaniards, that was what my response went towards. Don't worry though, we will stay on topic. Lol

You have received pretty good responses regarding American tourism to Spain.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:53 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
They won't be minorities, unless you believe that white North Americans have a different culture from non-white North Americans. This will become a self-fulfilling prophecy if enough people believe it to be true, but it doesn't need to be true. Americans and Canadians, including the white ones, have a distinct culture of their own that is different from that of Europe. If a foreign culture succeeds in taking over North America, it would be because white North Americans didn't feel confident about their own culture, delinked from Europe.

I'm a non-white North American. I consider other North Americans my cultural compatriots and it disappoints me that some white people think Europeans are their cousins. They are not. They are foreign. I am not foreign.
I like this approach. While there may be very minor differences within a country between ethnic minorities, bigger differences exist from one region to another. To add to your remark about whites feeling that Europeans are their cousins, there are many Blacks in the US who feel like they are closer to Africans. They make no distinction of which Africans either. Truth is, Black and White Americans have more in common with one another than either does with any other group. I know Blacks and Whites aren't the only groups in the US, sorry, someone is bound to state that glaringly obvious fact. I am just closer to those two groups so I can speak about them.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,394,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I agree with you on this.
As a white american myself I would feel much more comfortable and have more things in common with an African American/any-race-american then a European. Europeans dress differently, eat differently, speak differently, etc. The cultural mosaic of Europe is way different than American culture...
I'm with you too. I have worked with Europeans from various countries and Africans from various countries and while I really enjoy their company and learning about them, if I want familiarity and there are only Africans and White Americans around, I as a Black American feel more at home among the White Americans in terms of familiarity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World