Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:43 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,999,544 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urdiales View Post
I have a friend whose son is teacher in at Harvard University and said to me that you only have
15 days of vacation per year.

¿ It is this general or normal in USA? Why if so I explained that few american tourists come to Europe.

Yes, in terms of time off we (generally) lag behind all the other industrialized countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 04:49 AM

426 posts, read 395,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mingna View Post
I think that more Americans are being introduced to Spain via Barcelona through cruise ships sailing the Mediterranean itinerary. Due to distance, cost and more limited vacation time, Spain (and the rest of Europe) is much harder for Americans to access than Brits and other Europeans. So hitting multiple European highlights via cruising can be popular, and thus an avenue for many Americans to be exposed to Spain for the first time, who might have otherwise chosen more well-known European countries. And initial interest sparked may lead to a return trip later for more in-depth exploration of the country.

For me, Spain is like most other large countries where there are tremendous regional variations in local culture, food, attitude, etc. due to the particular history of the region, as well as it's environs: from the food-centric beautiful Basque region, to the historically Catholic Monarchy presence in Castilian Madrid, to the Moorish influence in the South, to modern, avant-garde Catalonia Barcelona.

I think many Americans view Spain through the lens of classical authors such as Hemingway, usually as bullfighting and flamenco in sun-drenched Andalusia. Or it's influence by the Moors via architecture. I don't think about beaches when I think about Spain's attractions, and was surprised at how many Brits viewed it as such - mainly as an affordable destination for it's warm, sunny climate and beaches. I am a history and museum buff of the medieval Catholic monarchs of Spain and that general era, so my favorite parts are Madrid and its surrounding area. It also feels more 'classically European' (yet still distinctly Spanish) with it's grand palaces, large parks, museums and other offerings found in large European capitals like London, Rome and Paris. (The Roman built aqueducts in Segovia-- those ancient Romans sure got around, didn't they ).

Most foreign tourists that visit Barcelona are Americans, followed at a distance by French, English, etc.
Americans visiting Barcelona are rather different from the US general population, generally far wealthier and older with a very big east coast component.
Madrid did not exist during medieval times, it was a hunting pavilion with good water.

Last edited by Krokodill; 02-11-2016 at 05:04 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 09:12 AM

10,648 posts, read 16,061,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
Most foreign tourists that visit Barcelona are Americans, followed at a distance by French, English, etc.
What? Pretty sure Barcelona has more visitors from the UK, France and Germany than from the U.S.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:28 PM

338 posts, read 335,650 times
Why do they keep going to Europe? There is nothing good for them there!

Old 02-11-2016, 11:28 PM

30,541 posts, read 19,288,082 times
Quote:
I have a friend whose son is teacher in at Harvard University and said to me that you only have
15 days of vacation per year.

¿ It is this general or normal in USA? Why if so I explained that few american tourists come to Europe.
Although teachers have years sabbatical.
The other professions which they their are annual leave in USA ?,
As you know the normal vacation from work in Spain and most of Europe are 30 days per year and some times even more

That 15 days probably is close to the average. Days off are negotiated between employer and employee. Most companies start their employees off with 2 weeks vacation per year and you can get more days the longer you work there. In my last job (started in 2003), my employer offered me the standard 2 weeks but I insisted on 4 weeks or I wouldn't work for them and they agreed. Last year, I received 10 weeks paid vacation because I was working in Peru which allowed me sufficient time to travel in South America as well as in Spain.

SO yes the lower number of days will keep Americans traveling to closer locations such as Florida or to Mexico rather than coming to Europe or Asia.

Old 02-12-2016, 04:47 AM

426 posts, read 395,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
What? Pretty sure Barcelona has more visitors from the UK, France and Germany than from the U.S.

Americans are number one right now.
Cruise ships.

US 10.6 %
UK 6.2 %

Russians were important, no more.

Old 02-12-2016, 05:56 AM

10,648 posts, read 16,061,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krokodill View Post
Americans are number one right now.
Cruise ships.

US 10.6 %
UK 6.2 %

Russians were important, no more.
Yes, cruise ships... not all visitors in Barcelona come on a ship.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:18 PM

570 posts, read 606,116 times
I will tell you some experiences of a trip to America in TV.

When Watching american TV you me surprised how little is said about the rest of World.
Of Spain nothing.-

Maybe that s why there are few americans tourists in Spain.

Another difference is that I saw on Tv there are very many cases of police shootings and deaths

In European Tv almost not there is gunfire.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:27 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,999,544 times
Quote:

When Watching american TV you me surprised how little is said about the rest of World.
Of Spain nothing.-

The most important reason is the lack of time off from work. The USA is supposed to be rich, but Americans suffer from a poverty of time.

Old 02-13-2016, 03:25 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,801,319 times
Quote:
I will tell you some experiences of a trip to America in TV.

Of Spain nothing.-

Another difference is that I saw on Tv there are very many cases of police shootings and deaths

In European Tv almost not there is gunfire.
Why does it bother you so much that Spain is not at the center of attention in the US?

So do you watch TV from other European countries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World