Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 12:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by improb View Post
Really, i think that you can have decent Tex Mex in several places now, for example there's an Italian newly born and successful chain called Old Wild West that does more than decent Tex Mex food. Most of the ingredients are grown locally and only particular herbs and spices are acquired from Mexico.

Despite being a chain not different from McDonald (139 franchises make it the second most widespread chain after Micky D), the quality of the products that are used make it much more expensive but it seems to be paying off.

These are their menus
I agree with Rosa Surf. Never found a place that does Mexican, let alone Tex Mex in Europe, that was good.

The link you provided to Old Wild West proves that. What is Mexican on the menu? I see two items that look like a pathetic attempt at recreating what they think is Tex Mex. Is that their whole menu online? Where is the mole, guacamole, refried beans, tostadas, crema de pollo, sour cream, limes etc???

This is one kind of Mexican menu. Scroll down the list.

Nuestro Menú | Restaurante El Arrayán

This place specializes in mole.

El Mole de Jovita

This of course is just a snapshot of Mexican cuisine. It varies from region to region.

EDIT: Good Mexican is hard to find in Vancouver, Tex Mex is easier. This place does a good job of Mexican in Vancouver. Not an Old Wild West menu at all.
Again scroll down the menu. It's extensive.

http://salsaandagave.com/?page_id=3011

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-11-2016 at 01:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
I never had passable Mexican food in Europe, it was quite disgusting actually. It was a poor copy of Tex-Mex food and some very outlandish creations. I'm not sure if things have changed, but I sure hope so. I was offended by what I ate. Lol

Mexican food is very similar to Italian food in that we take huge pride in freshness, taste and presenting the best rendition of our dishes. It doesn't matter the time it takes, if you have to boil and stir for 2 hours, you boil and stir for 2 hours. Also, you don't just thrown in a jalapeño to a dish to make Mexican food. There is an art and a certain order to using all of the different types of chiles used to make dishes. Certain sauces and salsas are used with specific meats. It's a rich complex cuisine that many have cheapened.
I agree. I will NEVER forget the " Mexican " I had in France. It was really a joke. The tortillas were more like crepes, it was so bland I can't even remember most of the meal, except the tequila. They took shot glasses, filled it with a bit of tequila and fizzy lime juice. They somehow got took the very touristic view of tourists in Mexico slamming down a tequila shot ( you know the ones where nothing but tequila is in the shot glass with salt on your hand with a lime ) after you down it. However what they did was slam the shot down on the table in front of you, spilling it. It was pathetically funny.

I prefer to sip a good quality tequila.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
You can still purchase the same ingredients as those used in Mexican recipes unless you live in the countryside and even then you can order them via internet. There would be a problem only if the good which was requited had a short expiration date.

Ethnic shops are a bless and so can be restaurants but they mustn't come at the expenses of local cuisine and neither should people be obsessed with diversity in the same way they are in the Anglosphere. People here in Europe wouldn't freak if they couldn't find a decent kebab somewhere bang in the middle of the Midwest.

I have never heard Dutch talk about Indonesian food, anyway we have several Chinese, Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi, Pakistani and Indian immigrants here in Italy but authentic restaurants are still often hard to come by outside of large cities. Don't know why that is but a large of the restaurants they open offer low quality products.

What do you mean?

That bread isn't exposed in bakeries? If it's that, i think it is because most bakeries just prefer showing goods that would be harder to sell instead and who most people wouldn't order otherwise.
A bit of history on the colonial reasons for it being in The Netherlands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rijsttafel

Old 03-11-2016, 01:29 PM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
I would not expect to find good Mexican food in Europe. How many people of Mexican descent even live in Europe?

The U.S., on the other hand, has tons of Mexicans/latinos in numerous places. So of course, that food will be easily available.

Old 03-11-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I would not expect to find good Mexican food in Europe. How many people of Mexican descent even live in Europe?

The U.S., on the other hand, has tons of Mexicans/latinos in numerous places. So of course, that food will be easily available.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:05 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,815,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I agree with Rosa Surf. Never found a place that does Mexican, let alone Tex Mex in Europe, that was good.

The link you provided to Old Wild West proves that. What is Mexican on the menu? I see two items that look like a pathetic attempt at recreating what they think is Tex Mex. Is that their whole menu online? Where is the mole, guacamole, refried beans, tostadas, crema de pollo, sour cream, limes etc???

This is one kind of Mexican menu. Scroll down the list.

Nuestro Menú | Restaurante El Arrayán

This place specializes in mole.

El Mole de Jovita

This of course is just a snapshot of Mexican cuisine. It varies from region to region.

EDIT: Good Mexican is hard to find in Vancouver, Tex Mex is easier. This place does a good job of Mexican in Vancouver. Not an Old Wild West menu at all.
Again scroll down the menu. It's extensive.

Salsa And Agave | Menu w/o photos
Ok sorry about my ignorance on Mexican cuisine, i'll shut up next time . I think it kinda makes that the USA and Canada are more well furnished when it comes to Mexican culture, it's immigrants who often bring foreign cuisines but Mexican never emigrated in anything resembling large numbers to any European countries so our best American food are either this kind of fast foods (basically an improved McDonald) or cathedrals in the desert

There are certainly foreign cuisines that are quite easy to find here as well as cuisines and plates that can't be found in the USA but which can be eaten in any large European city

Old 03-11-2016, 08:05 PM

3,282 posts, read 3,793,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I agree. I will NEVER forget the " Mexican " I had in France. It was really a joke. The tortillas were more like crepes, it was so bland I can't even remember most of the meal, except the tequila. They took shot glasses, filled it with a bit of tequila and fizzy lime juice. They somehow got took the very touristic view of tourists in Mexico slamming down a tequila shot ( you know the ones where nothing but tequila is in the shot glass with salt on your hand with a lime ) after you down it. However what they did was slam the shot down on the table in front of you, spilling it. It was pathetically funny.

I prefer to sip a good quality tequila.
Most Mexicans sip good quality tequila, that is how we like it! The crazy shot thing is for tourists. lol

My experience was that I was living in Spain, so I was nostalgic for Mexican food. I ate some in Spain and France. In Spain I had 'fajitas' which ended up being strips of Spanish style chorizo, kind of like fake strips of steak, drenched in vinegar and oil. I thought ok, I'll go safe and get a quesadilla. I got 2 flat, dry cardboard interpretations of flour tortillas with strange cheese that didn't melt. For tequila, I got something that tasted like rubbing alcohol. We asked them to show us the tequila, it was some fake brand from Spain!!!!! WTH?

I should have said something, but the owner (Spanish) was so enthusiastic to please us. The place was new.

I was very upset, what a joke of our wonderfully tasty and rich cuisine. Even in the most humblest of street carts in Mexico you would never be served such crappy food, on the contrary.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
how long ago was that, and where? i would think that somebody could at least produce decent tex mex. just goes to show how wrong you can be.
It was probably already 10 years ago, time goes by fast. Hopefully there has been some progress.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:24 PM

469 posts, read 576,986 times
Quote:
Really, i think that you can have decent Tex Mex in several places now, for example there's an Italian newly born and successful chain called Old Wild West that does more than decent Tex Mex food. Most of the ingredients are grown locally and only particular herbs and spices are acquired from Mexico.

Despite being a chain not different from McDonald (139 franchises make it the second most widespread chain after Micky D), the quality of the products that are used make it much more expensive but it seems to be paying off.

These are their menus

That looks way, WAY better than an American McDonalds...or Taco Bell...or even Chili's.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:

[URL="http://www.oldwildwest.it/Menu"]These are their menus[/URL]
That looks like American food, but it looks good.

Here's a Mexican chef who currently resides in the US, she has pages and pages of recipes, traditional and more modern. But you can get an idea of the diversity of the cuisine.

[url=http://patismexicantable.com/blog/recipes/page/10/]Recipes : Pati's Mexican Table[/url]

This is a place I really like- There are pictures of all of the tacos they sell. They are more on the modern side, but oh so good:

[url]http://kokopelli.mx/[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World