Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 08:26 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Aw, gross! Luckily, my dorm experience has been delightfully vanilla in that regard since I live in substance-free housing. I just can't see why people do such horrible things for fun. Don't they see that other people get inconvenienced, annoyed, and/or harmed in the process?
For most, it's apart of the so-called "college experience".

I'm glad your dorm experience was good. I was actually very lucky to be on a fairly quiet floor during the final year that I was in the dorms! All of the dorms were considered "substance-free" but the rules were not enforced unless kids were drinking outside of the rooms. If anybody wants a peaceful and quiet college experience then they should either live in the honors dorm, in off-campus apartments or commute from home if that's an option for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 10:48 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,650,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britttt89 View Post
Because there are intelligent and incredibly hard working with incredible integrity.
I agree I went to college in the 80's, and the indian and asian students studied(which is what you're suppose to do) the white students just wanted to get drunk at frat parties.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:54 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
I agree I went to college in the 80's, and the indian and asian students studied(which is what you're suppose to do) the white students just wanted to get drunk at frat parties.
Most of the Asians that come here are the nerd variety. The more outgoing, less nerdy ones, are gonna be in NYC, LA, Miami. Just like my friends in Japan showed me photos of white guys walking around Japan and, surprise surprise, 99% looked like the typical geek/nerd back home. I'll confirm for myself this summer but from my friends and the internet seems like your typical frat boy/girl from both continents prefer to do their partying at home (unless they are rich)

Old 02-16-2016, 11:46 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Don't be silly.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Here's an infograph for murders in Finland from the last 200 years or so per 100,000 people. The Civil War murder rate stops at 850.

The era of prohibition still stands out as overwhelmingly the most violent period during peacetime in our history. And this is just murders all other crime rose massively too.

Banning alcohol is the maybe most stupid idea ever.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:01 PM

440 posts, read 662,583 times
Really? I personally know some non nerdy Asians who lived in western countries.

The stereotype most Asians are nerdy is very strong in western countries.

But I see more non nerdy locals in Asian cities. Fashion and beauty actually have big markets in East Asia with substanial number of non nerdy Asian customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Most of the Asians that come here are the nerd variety. The more outgoing, less nerdy ones, are gonna be in NYC, LA, Miami. Just like my friends in Japan showed me photos of white guys walking around Japan and, surprise surprise, 99% looked like the typical geek/nerd back home. I'll confirm for myself this summer but from my friends and the internet seems like your typical frat boy/girl from both continents prefer to do their partying at home (unless they are rich)

Old 02-16-2016, 04:31 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifijohn View Post
I went to school in the 80's, too, and there were plenty of white kids who weren't into that at all. People think everyone's into partying because that's the crowd that makes the most noise and mess, so they get noticed. The quieter kids fall under the radar. It's sanctioned juvenile deliquency, is what it is, until a violent crime is committed. Then the frat gets banned from that university.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:50 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,373 times
Probably more to due with their own culture. Asian culture does not encourage out and out expression , the way most Westerners are used to and familiar with growing up.

There is also a lot of face saving and reluctance to make oneself look silly. Ever wonder why we see so few Asian comedians. And when we do so something funny it is usually standard fare, well rehearsed and lacking in any true sense of humor.

Also, what I have seen ,despite claims of being group centric, is a huge degree of self interest with many Asians. So, with that in mind, what profit is there from being a joker or funny. To please others and put down oneself in the process is just not part of that mindset. To insulate against notions of foolish behavior, kids will naturally gravitate toward the safe harbor of study and staying in the library all day. I have seen it many a time as a student before.

Though it is much more difficult for Asian males to truly fit in Western Society without the moniker placed on them of book worm or geek, many Asian females have an easier passage. Just playing off the perception of submissiveness as a means to gain social acceptance. Lots of giggles and hip to the beat no matter what the tune is. Just to fit and not cause any waves. With few exceptions , it is back to the books and chatting with the friends about college courses when young, and evening classes when older.

Asian love to learn so much. In many ways non Asians are the pioneers, teachers and provide the creativity that they can learn from and apply. Practice practice at everything. To perform a piano recital by a European composer is golden, on the other hand to do something like starting a band is unthinkable.

Old 02-16-2016, 05:58 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Alcohol allergies might be a factor... I think something like 1/3 to 1/2 of East Asians are allergic to alcohol.

Having said that, I knew quite a few East Asian students who partied while at university, especially if they lived in residence around a lot of other students. They did the same things everyone else did. I'm speaking of students from Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:01 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,369,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokeung) View Post
Really? I personally know some non nerdy Asians who lived in western countries.

The stereotype most Asians are nerdy is very strong in western countries.

But I see more non nerdy locals in Asian cities. Fashion and beauty actually have big markets in East Asia with substanial number of non nerdy Asian customers.
Maybe there aren't many whites in the U.S. with Asian friends at college or university, so they don't even know first-hand what the East Asian students are doing with their social lives. So they stereotype. The stereotype might come from their experiences in high school... my perception is that East Asian parents are quite strict with their children especially in their teens, so maybe Asian high school kids don't get to stay out partying as much as some other students. Maybe that's where this stereotype comes from. Asians socialize as much as anyone else once they're old enough to be out on their own, though.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:31 PM

27,568 posts, read 28,673,621 times
By the way, college sucks and has nothing to do with real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World