Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2016, 04:15 AM

919 posts, read 841,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Oh, please don't keep me in excitement.
You thought you proved something with the chart, but you didn't.

Basic bread recipe
Stage 1: making a well
Stage 2: getting it together
Stage 3: kneading!
Stage 4: first prove
Stage 5: second prove, flavouring and shaping
Stage 6: cooking your bread
Will you get bread, if you do Stage 1, 3 and 6 without doing from Stage 2, 4 and 5? No.

But I guess you will say: I proved you can't make bread.

Now we can entertain ourselves in many ways. Why do you paralyze yourself by drinking alcohol?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2016, 04:22 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,328,402 times
Actually, they do exist. I'm 21 and don't party for many reasons, such as:
-Alcohol is a mind-altering drug that deteriorates organs of the body
-I don't want to risk my current job or future career by doing something stupid and getting myself in trouble

Old 02-20-2016, 05:42 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,845,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanagisawa View Post
Why do you paralyze yourself by drinking alcohol?
Because it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Actually, they do exist. I'm 21 and don't party for many reasons, such as:
-Alcohol is a mind-altering drug that deteriorates organs of the body
-I don't want to risk my current job or future career by doing something stupid and getting myself in trouble
- Occationally using alcohol does not deteriorate your organs
- Well don't get in trouble, and if you do, don't tell anyone about it

Old 02-20-2016, 05:53 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,449,380 times
In my experience, US-born-and-raised Asians party a lot in college. This isn't really so for Asian foreign exchange students, but they just have a different mentality. They go abroad to US universities to party.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:11 AM

525 posts, read 454,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
My daughter could have written this word for word, and we are not Asian, we are Midwesterners of European descent whose roots in this country go back to the 1700s.

We gave our kids private school, lots of our time and attention, and great family fun time and vacations and encouraged them to work hard and do their best. They both (one son, one daughter) have the same exact philosophy as the person who wrote this post. Our son is now in his mid-twenties and happily married and our daughter is going to graduate from college in a few months. She goes to a very large "public Ivy League" state university and has had ample opportunity to party over the past almost four years that she has been there, but she has always gravitated towards people who have high personal moral standards and are good students. She thinks partying, and particularly doing drugs and/or drinking to excess, is a huge waste of time and potential and we are proud of her for that. In fact, she often comes home on the weekends just to hang out with us and relax. When she doesn't do that, she attends campus functions designed for kids who don't want to go out and party and want something fun to do. I have been quite impressed with the options this particular university offers in that regard.

We have a nephew whose parents had the attitude, "He must have the college experience and party hearty while he's young (wink, wink)." IOW, he went off to college with his parents' blessing to "woop it up!" As a result, it took him over five years to complete a four year degree, he failed several classes that his parents had to pay for him to take over again, and he's still living the lifestyle of a college "bro" and drinking on a daily basis and partying on the weekends, even though he's almost thirty and is married with a child.

I just don't get this parental attitude that kids MUST party in college. It is generally a very destructive lifestyle that does nothing to improve one's life but can very well do great lasting damage.
You sound like my parents (which is a compliment!). I wish more parents were like this; giving their kids enough time and attention, doing what they can to give them the best education, and stressing the importance of integrity and hard work, while still letting them have (non-destructive!) fun when their work is done. IMO that's the best way to raise kids. Unfortunately it seems like most parents are too busy to spend enough time with their kids and can't afford to send them to college.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:30 AM

4,944 posts, read 2,947,894 times
Quote:
You thought you proved something with the chart, but you didn't.

Basic bread recipe
Stage 1: making a well
Stage 2: getting it together
Stage 3: kneading!
Stage 4: first prove
Stage 5: second prove, flavouring and shaping
Stage 6: cooking your bread
Will you get bread, if you do Stage 1, 3 and 6 without doing from Stage 2, 4 and 5? No.

But I guess you will say: I proved you can't make bread.

Now we can entertain ourselves in many ways. Why do you paralyze yourself by drinking alcohol?
You can take my alcohol from my cold dead hands.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:36 AM

8,873 posts, read 8,465,696 times
Quote:
You are such a drama queen.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:40 AM

1,274 posts, read 980,812 times
What's wrong with partying from times to times, especially in college?

The only thing that should be clear is that excess is never good, including full abstinence. That's at best naive from a social standpoint.

Being able to drink a couple of beers, glasses of wine or champagne and interacting in a social environment has never hurt.
If it's to become fully drunk and lose your mind, then the purpose is slightly wrong indeed but once in a while, it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:29 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,845,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post
What's wrong with partying from times to times, especially in college?
It's called 'living', but some people don't understand. Each to his own, but I would be disappointed if I didn't have any stories NOT to tell my children. A person has 40 years of time to be a sheepish little working ant in the system, so why don't get nuts when you are after all young only once? And the sh*tfaced comrade of yours might be your future employer, and it might benefit you having bonding with each other.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:37 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,449,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
In my experience, US-born-and-raised Asians party a lot in college. This isn't really so for Asian foreign exchange students, but they just have a different mentality. They go abroad to US universities to party.
Typo... that should say they don't go abroad to party.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World