Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 09:19 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Yeah, there's been a trend since around 2000 to go back to older names, after the 90's trend of giving lots of american-sounding names (how many 25 year old Kevin are there today ? A lot). Also, super short names are very popular for kids under 10, like Téo.

Not all of them though, I think we can wait another 50 years until someone calls their boy André or René. These sound really super old. Louis or Joseph are so old, almost 19th century, that at this point they sound almost like new names.

I'm kinda surprised at DJ's list.
We've also got this happening. Old names like Étienne, Xavier, Émile, Mathilde, Maude, etc. have come back in a big way. I doubt Louise (or Ginette!) will come back here any time soon though as they're too associated with your grandmother or old aunts.

Overall, interesting the numerous overlaps between the baby name lists of Quebec and France. Even for the "anglo pop culture" influenced names like Emma...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 09:22 AM

I think it would be also interesting to follow Ariete's example and give some of the reasons we think certain baby names are in-vogue. Some we won't know I suppose but I think we all have an idea for a number of them.

Working on my list now...

Old 02-16-2016, 09:28 AM

Here is my explanation for some of these popular baby names...

Girls

Léa
Emma - Emma Watson, actress in Harry Potter movies
Olivia
Florence
Chloé
Alice
Zoé
Rosalie
Charlie
Charlotte

Boys

William
Thomas
Félix - Félix Leclerc, legendary Québécois poet and songwriter
Liam - Irish fetishizing; apparently 40% of Québécois have an Irish ancestor; it's "in" to be Irish
Nathan
Jacob
Alexis - romantic hero of the Séraphin/Un homme et son péché Quebec novels, movies and TV series
Logan
Olivier
Samuel

Though not in the top 10 list, another very popular name for girls and young women is Émilie, which is the name of the heroine of the hugely popular Quebec book and TV series Les Filles de Caleb.

Amélie is also hugely popular as girl's name here, spurred by the success of the French movie Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:33 AM

141 posts, read 147,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think it would be also interesting to follow Ariete's example and give some of the reasons we think certain baby names are in-vogue. Some we won't know I suppose but I think we all have an idea for a number of them.

Working on my list now...
Men:
1.Daniel- bible name
2.Dawit- bible name
3.Yared- bible name
4.Henok- bible name
5.Zelalem
6.Jemal- muslim name (arabic meaning)
7.Habtamu
8.Amanuel- bible name
9.Mulugeta
10.Solomon (bible name)/Natnael (bible name)/Nahom (bible name)/Biruk (bible name)/Yonas (bible name)/Ermias (bible name)

No point doing the women's as I'm sure you can see where it's heading

Old 02-16-2016, 09:35 AM

1,704 posts, read 1,836,562 times
Quote:
Are members of the Russian-speaking minority having more babies?
The variety of slavic name isn't that great.

Old 02-16-2016, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuKulgur View Post
The variety of slavic name isn't that great.
OK, well that would explain it partly. Russian-speaking parents tend to choose the same names more often for their kids so there is a "bunching up" around Russian names.

Kind of like Mohammed being the most common name for baby boys in the UK.

Or Jose as the most common name for baby boys in some parts of the SW US.

You also see this with Vietnamese people. In Montreal one of the most common surnames is Nguyen. While there is a Vietnamese community in Montreal, it is not that large. But Nguyen pops up on the list because close to half of all Vietnamese people have that name. Other groups in society have a wider variety of names.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:12 AM

1,373 posts, read 1,442,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
Leonardo and Riccardo ? I've never met anyone called like that actually. Maybe these names are getting more popular ultimately. Also, Control+F, no "Francesca" found ? I think I know like 12 of them. Never met a Giorgia either. The french equivalent sounds really old.
Any statistic about newborns usually looks quite strange. It also changes quickly, some names have been "trendy" for a while and now really few children are named like that, or vice versa. In Italy there is also a regional factor, in for example some names like "Salvatore", "Carmela" and other names like these are much more common among people with a southern Italy background.

For example this is a statistic of the most common names of Italians older than 40 years old
I 20 Nomi più Diffusi in Italia

Males:
1 Giuseppe
2 Giovanni
3 Antonio
4 Mario
5 Luigi
6 Francesco
7 Angelo
8 Vincenzo
9 Pietro
10 Salvatore

Females:
1 Maria
2 Anna
3 Giuseppina
4 Rosa
5 Angela
6 Giovanna
7 Teresa
8 Lucia
9 Carmela
10 Caterina
(11 Francesca)

This one instead doesn't specify the ages, so it is probably referred to Italians of all ages Classifica dei NOMI ITALIANI piu' diffusi

Males
1 Andrea
2 Luca
3 Marco
4 Francesco
5 Matteo
6 Alessandro
7 Davide
8 Simone
9 Federico
10 Lorenzo

Females
1 Giulia
2 Chiara
3 Francesca
4 Federica
5 Sara
6 Martina
7 Valentina
8 Alessia
9 Silvia
10 Elisa

That site is the vaguest about the sources, but it is the one that agrees the most with my personal impression about which the most popular names are.

Old 02-16-2016, 11:59 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,792,350 times
Quote:
OK, well that would explain it partly. Russian-speaking parents tend to choose the same names more often for their kids so there is a "bunching up" around Russian names.

Kind of like Mohammed being the most common name for baby boys in the UK.

Or Jose as the most common name for baby boys in some parts of the SW US.

You also see this with Vietnamese people. In Montreal one of the most common surnames is Nguyen. While there is a Vietnamese community in Montreal, it is not that large. But Nguyen pops up on the list because close to half of all Vietnamese people have that name. Other groups in society have a wider variety of names.
Partly the same here. Traditional names running in the family are given as 2nd or 3rd first names, so they live on.

Muhammad is probably the most common first name in the world. It's a tradition in most Islamic countries that every family should have one Muhammad, usually it's given to the firstborn son.

Trends born and die quickly too. In the late 80's early 90's Laura was hugely popular, but now it's not even in the top 20. Mikael was also very popular in the 80's, but died out in the 90's-00's, but now resurfaces again.

Old 02-16-2016, 12:59 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Anglo Canada hasn't been done yet, and it too functions like a nation for this purpose:

For newborn boys:

Liam
Jackson
Logan
Lucas
Noah
Ethan
Jack
William
Jacob
James

Newborn girls:

Emma
Olivia
Sophia
Zoe
Emily
Avery
Isabella
Charlotte
Lily
Ava

I generally approve of these trends! I think these names sound nice.

I couldn't find statistics for non-newborns, however, so I won't try to list them, but there's certainly names missing from this list, like Steven, Andrew and Daniel for men, and Katherine and Sarah for women. Names that are common for Millenials but not older generations, like Alexander and Justin, seem to have disappeared as well.

Old 02-16-2016, 01:15 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
It's the same where I live, in Orange County, CA. Some years ago the local paper ran an article on the most popular baby names among various ethnic groups. The favorite boy's name in the Asian community was Kevin. The article concluded that the single most popular first name/last name combination for newborns in the county was "Kevin Nguyen."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World