Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do you think native English speakers are at a disadvantage to learn foreign languages?
Yes 13 34.21%
No 25 65.79%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2016, 10:47 AM
 
10,889 posts, read 2,194,688 times
Reputation: 3323

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arigarisha View Post
DJ- WATCH OUT!
There's a hug headed your way oh noooooooo...!
*Hug*

P.S.:
A few weeks ago a foreigner just turned around as he was walking to ask me (In English) which train he needed to take to get to some place. As I was taking the same one and knew the route I let him know which one it was. He didn't even say "Thank you".
lol, that was cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2016, 10:52 AM
 
15,063 posts, read 6,184,914 times
Reputation: 5124
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Then why everytime I go to Quebec, they switch to English when I try to speak French? Maybe the question is worded badly but it seems English native speakers are not given opportunities to practice foreign languages without them switching to English.
Hmmmm. This doesnt happen to me often when I'm speaking Spanish. I've been told that French speakers are sometimes less tolerant of mistakes made in their language and will switch to English. However, not everyone is that way when it comes to their language. I haven't had that issue with Spanish or Kreyol speakers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 10:56 AM
 
10,889 posts, read 2,194,688 times
Reputation: 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Hmmmm. This doesnt happen to me often when I'm speaking Spanish. I've been told that French speakers are sometimes less tolerant of mistakes made in their language and will switch to English. However, not everyone is that way when it comes to their language. I haven't had that issue with Spanish or Kreyol speakers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Reputation: 11651
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
i hate it people who juge others by their level of english skills "oh you don't know how to speak english, what you can't even tell me how to open a damn bank account in that poor and uncivilized country of yours, incredible!! i mean hello, english is spoken in the whole of the universe UGH, you shouldn't even learn your native tongue, it's SO useless and overrated!!" if there's a thing i find digusting it's that kind of speech, people who have no respect for others, in fact i'm so disgusted i don't even know what to say... i've been at the hospital today, and one of the nurse who took care of me was British, she spoke French and made mistakes but I was glad because she was trying, because she wasn't just there to take care of foreign tourists who lost themselves here, and after, because here in the southwest, we have a big English community, I heard a couple talking, in English, completely oblivious to the world around them, they came to the counter to ask for I don't even know why, I didn't understood because the woman spoke in English, not even an hello or bonjour (i would have get that at least), just babbling while shoving papers in the secretary's face, like it was clear what she was trying to say. I don't get it, i really don't. it's like being born with english as a mother tongue automatically put you higher than everyone else, but some people seem to forget that for now, there is still other languages spoken in the world, languages that matters too, and some people really should stop juging everything based on english-everything. i was so tired today, and when i heard the couple talking, i just wanted to slap them, tell them to fu*k off and go back where they belong, because no one need such irrespectful people in an hospital, i don't care if you can't even ask politely for help, but at least say bonjour, bonsoir, s'il vous plaît, or even hé toi la servante là!!... but something, don't just barge in and babble in english.


i am sorry for the long rant, but it's just that this very subject is important, and i wanted to share my "experience" here, even if i'll end up ridiculed by some for being a "drama queen".
Living where I do you can assume that I have plenty of experience with this...


One thing I would add is that in our contemporary world there is a fairly high amount of smugness with some people who *know* how to speak English. Many of these people are native speakers of course, but second language speakers of English can be rude and arrogant also.


I've heard Spanish guys complain there wasn't enough English in Berlin.


... Chinese guys complain about lack of English in Quebec City.


... Québécois people complaining about a lack of English in Russia.


So it's not just native anglos that do this.


Many non-native English speakers learn English and want to use it as their only global language, and then they get PO'd when they can't use it everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 AM
 
10,889 posts, read 2,194,688 times
Reputation: 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Living where I do you can assume that I have plenty of experience with this...


One thing I would add is that in our contemporary world there is a fairly high amount of smugness with some people who *know* how to speak English. Many of these people are native speakers of course, but second language speakers of English can be rude and arrogant also...
some people are really crazy I guess (coming from me, it's saying a lot)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2016, 03:26 AM
 
919 posts, read 841,000 times
Reputation: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
i hate it people who juge others by their level of english skills
One of my colleagues who only knows Hello and such complained people in Macau couldn't speak English
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-10-2016, 06:20 AM
 
Location: Bologna, Italy
7,501 posts, read 6,299,078 times
Reputation: 3761
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Hmmmm. This doesnt happen to me often when I'm speaking Spanish. I've been told that French speakers are sometimes less tolerant of mistakes made in their language and will switch to English. However, not everyone is that way when it comes to their language. I haven't had that issue with Spanish or Kreyol speakers
so a spanish speaker who switches to english does it because it is convenient for you whereas a french speaker who does the same thing does it because they don't like to hear their language spoken by non-native speakers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2016, 02:53 PM
 
15,063 posts, read 6,184,914 times
Reputation: 5124
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ- View Post
Problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-11-2016, 02:57 PM
 
15,063 posts, read 6,184,914 times
Reputation: 5124
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
so a spanish speaker who switches to english does it because it is convenient for you whereas a french speaker who does the same thing does it because they don't like to hear their language spoken by non-native speakers.
Nope, try again.

Reread my post. I stated that this does NOT happen to me with Spanish speakers. When I speak Spanish, they respond IN SPANISH (though I am a native Engish speaker). I've been TOLD that French speakers are sometimes less tolerant of mistakes made in their language and will switch to English. This is not my personal experience with French speakers as I do not speak French.

Again, I haven't had that issue with Spanish or with Kreyol speakers, who I encounter more often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-13-2016, 01:14 PM
 
10,889 posts, read 2,194,688 times
Reputation: 3323
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Problem?
Nooooooooooooooo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Nope, try again.

Reread my post. I stated that this does NOT happen to me with Spanish speakers. When I speak Spanish, they respond IN SPANISH (though I am a native Engish speaker). I've been TOLD that French speakers are sometimes less tolerant of mistakes made in their language and will switch to English. This is not my personal experience with French speakers as I do not speak French.

Again, I haven't had that issue with Spanish or with Kreyol speakers, who I encounter more often.

So, um, yeah, what you're doing is just repeat what some told you, so, yeah again, can't you THINK by yourself? Like you know, repeating what others told you on a forum isn't going to make it real, so, maybe you should just talk about what you know and had experience with and let the rest to others, k?



Good. I am glad that this conversation is over and everything is now settled.


PS: I like your username, I guess since you don't speak French, you've also been told to choose that particular username. Awesome!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top